Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Betemit as 2B

27tigers

Not for this year, but depending on Betemit's contract status, what about playing him at 2b next season? He is below average at 3B, and he has played a little 2B in his career (a very little), but he might be ok there. I know Inge will get another shot next season (and I believe we need him on the roster this season for his defense, same way we need Santiago), but I would love to upgrade 3B or 2B with a real major league starting caliber player.

I like Betemit, but he is really a 6 inning player at 3B, and so I thought he might be a little better at 2B. The tigers cannot afford to have another season relying on Raburn.

27tigers said:
Not for this year, but depending on Betemit's contract status, what about playing him at 2b next season? He is below average at 3B, and he has played a little 2B in his career (a very little), but he might be ok there. I know Inge will get another shot next season (and I believe we need him on the roster this season for his defense, same way we need Santiago), but I would love to upgrade 3B or 2B with a real major league starting caliber player.

I like Betemit, but he is really a 6 inning player at 3B, and so I thought he might be a little better at 2B. The tigers cannot afford to have another season relying on Raburn.

I really can't imagine that Betemit would be better at 2B than he is at 3B. Horrible idea....IMO.

Well, 2B is an easier position to play than 3B, and moving him back in the infield gives you an extra second to field the ball. I don't know how good/bad his range will be, but I think it is at least worth a shot. you can't start him at 3B everyday, especially with below average to average defensive players at just about every other position.

And I can't imagine I would want Inge for his defense. The only way he better be in the team is because Illich doesn't want to eat his contract.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]And I can't imagine I would want Inge for his defense. The only way he better be in the team is because Illich doesn't want to eat his contract.

Next season I agree I don't want Inge unless he learns to hit. I was just saying for his defense the remainder of this season. I know Inge has been bad defensively this season, but he is light years better than Betemit.

Spend the cash this off season on a new 2B and new 3B. Play Young and Boesch in the outfield with a Raburn/kelly/Dirks platoon. Hope your young pitchers get better cause god knows we wont spend too much $

They could spend money on a player just not the premium type player, 16m plus type. Because they need an infielder. Preferably 2nd base. I don't have a problem with Betemit.

A 3rd baseball with defense and not much else, well we haven't gotten far on that. 3rd baseman are hard to get, good ones. Thats why they signed Inge. So I'll take a hitter with no glove. But we definitely need a 2nd baseman.

I'm not worried about the pitching. JV, Scherzer, Fister, Porcello and possible Turner is better than most. And it certainly is better than the ALC teams rotation.

Since when is 2nd base easier to play than third? That's newsworthy.

Betemit really can't handle any position full time. He's put together a nice year so far, and good for him. But, he's been a part time player for a reason....he's never been very good.

Do people really want to go into next year counting on Betemit to be an effective, full time player for the first time in his career? I don't.

JimRice said:

Betemit really can't handle any position full time. He's put together a nice year so far, and good for him. But, he's been a part time player for a reason....he's never been very good.

Do people really want to go into next year counting on Betemit to be an effective, full time player for the first time in his career? I don't.

You ever thought his managers throughout his career just sucked and he actually is a full time major leaguer.

Like I said name a 3rd baseman we realiztically have a shot at getting. A good one anyway. They don't exist so year between him and Inge, I do.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
JimRice said:

You ever thought his managers throughout his career just sucked and he actually is a full time major leaguer.

Like I said name a 3rd baseman we realiztically have a shot at getting. A good one anyway. They don't exist so year between him and Inge, I do.

I was responding to Betemit being the full time 2nd baseman.

As far as keeping him, I think that would be a good idea. He can platoon with Inge at third next year. I don't think he can be counted on for a full year of production, and that's based on his career stats.

I don't think his previous managers are responsible for him having a sub .300 OBP some years, so no, I don't his managers for not giving him 600 plate appearances.

Betemit is better hitter than Inge against LHP. Why would that change next year. You don't just platoon just to platoon.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Betemit is better hitter than Inge against LHP. Why would that change next year. You don't just platoon just to platoon.

I don't see the Tigers eating Inge's contract, so he'll be on the team.

Betemit, historically, has been much worse against left handers. Inge has been much better against lefties, overall for his career.

Even during Betemit's good year and Inge's terrible year, Inge still has a better OPS than Betemit verses lefties.

JimRice said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Betemit is better hitter than Inge against LHP. Why would that change next year. You don't just platoon just to platoon.

Betemit, historically, has been much worse against left handers. Inge has been much better against lefties, overall for his career.

Even during Betemit's good year and Inge's terrible year, Inge still has a better OPS than Betemit verses lefties.
IDK....I think Inge might be in JL's dog house. I can easily see them buying him out. The great news for Tiger fans going into 012, is that Maggs and Guillen will be off the payroll, the team will be more solid than it's been in 25 yrs or more, and there will be plenty of $ to shore up 2nd or 3rd or both. This team hit pay-dirt w/Avila, Boesch, DYoung, Peralta and Fister.

I would go after 2B Jamey Carroll for a 2 year deal, the second being an option year. We would have a good lead-off hitter. Aramis Ramirez would solve a problem at 3B if we could get him to come here. I would love to see Michael Cuddyer on our team as well, hitting third in the line up.

batcave76 said:
JimRice said:

IDK....I think Inge might be in JL's dog house. I can easily see them buying him out. The great news for Tiger fans going into 012, is that Maggs and Guillen will be off the payroll, the team will be more solid than it's been in 25 yrs or more, and there will be plenty of $ to shore up 2nd or 3rd or both. This team hit pay-dirt w/Avila, Boesch, DYoung, Peralta and Fister.

If Inge was in the dog house then he would still be in the minor leagues where he belongs. A .180 hitter has no business seeing the field on a last place team, but for some reason Inge is starting over a .300 hitter on a first place team. It is sickening. If they do anything to make room for him next year it is going to turn my stomach. Betemit vs. LHP .233, Inge vs. LHP .205

uofmpoweri said:
batcave76 said:

If Inge was in the dog house then he would still be in the minor leagues where he belongs. A .180 hitter has no business seeing the field on a last place team, but for some reason Inge is starting over a .300 hitter on a first place team. It is sickening. If they do anything to make room for him next year it is going to turn my stomach. Betemit vs. LHP .233, Inge vs. LHP .205

Jim Rice is going to make you pay for bringing facts and stats into this.

LOL

MI_Thumb said:
uofmpoweri said:

Jim Rice is going to make you pay for bringing facts and stats into this.

LOL

It's hard to defend Inge, so stats are usually frowned upon by his supporters.

Back