Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Football finals Match-up Saturday's games

biggunsbob

Saturday, Nov. 24 Should by on Fox sports detroit either live or taped delayed..I just hate they they are on a college football day..

Division 7 - 10 am
Ishpeming (272) (12-1) vs. Detroit Loyola (298)(13-0
Ishpeming will have their hands full with Detroit Loyola from the Catholic intersectional league from Detroit. DL has only been around since 1995 and overall historically they are 94-82...This is DL's first final.. Ishpeming is 293-241-9 overall and lost in the 2010 finals to Hudson 28-26/
Points for and against for Ishpeming is 431/105 with 3 shutouts. DL has a outstanding 596/77 with 5 shutouts.. I mean DL played some schools with over 700-800 kids in it..Biggest school The Hematites played was Negaunee with 433 and that was their loss..This all points to a blowout win for thew private school from Detroit.. Rooting for the kids from across the bridge.. DL by 30+
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Division 1 - 1 pm
Detroit Catholic Central (2064 (9-4) vs. Detroit Cass Tech (2200) (11-2)

The big boys are back.. A rematch of last year when DCC was thumped by Tech 49-13 and they are not use to that.. I think DCC is around 9-4 give or take in state finals games and has a historical record of 456-160-5. Cass Tech historically is 316-222-9 and has only the one title and that was last year...
Points for and against are DCC 371/206 with 2 shutouts and Cass tech 446/164 with 4 shutouts.. Both teams had some similar opponents.. Both played Brother Rice.. Cass tech beat them 25-18 while DDC lost to them 20-14... Both played D-3 finalist Orchard lake st Marys. Cass Tech Lost to them 13-6 and DCC played them twice beating them on October 19th 35-13 and lost to them a week later 17-10.. (Happens a lot...)I am sticking with the Defending champs... Cass tech by 10.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Division 5 - 4:30 pm
Grand Rapids West Catholic 503 (10-3) vs. Portland 555 (12-1).
WC is 1-1 in state finals and last won in 2010. This is Portland first crack at it. Historically.
GRWC started in 1963 and is 307-173-5 and is a power in Grand Rapids. Portland is 364-205-5 and is always decent. Points for and against. WC 287/215 with 1 shutout. Portland is 488/174 with 2 shutouts.
WC plays a much tougher schedule. But Portland's schedule is a tad deceiving. They thumped the defending champions Flint Powers 45-28 in the second half a few weeks back and beat a good Dewitt team 37-7 this season.. WC has been coming back in just about every game they have won lately.. Hard to go against the private school.
But i think Portland gets it done by 6.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Division 3 - 7:30 pm
Grand Rapids Christian 954 (12-1) vs. Orchard Lake St Mary's 926 (11-2).
Another private school showdown.. St Mary's has been to the finals so many times it is not funny. Historically they are 387-258-3 since 1956. I think they are 5-5 in state final games winning just last year.
GRC has been playing ball since 1972 and are the only finalist historically this year with a losing record of 176-204-3. This is their first final game.. Their only loss this year was out of state in Ohio by Power Moeller 42-34 in a game they lead at halftime.

Points for and against..OLSM is 452/152 with 2 shutouts.. GRC is at 550/247 with 2 shutout....Both teams play very very good schedules ...I think this game is a toss up... Go with the team with more finals experiences in OLSM or the team with the one if not the best player in the state in Drake Harris. That kid can play...
GRC by 6....
Historical wins and losses are from 1950 unless noted and i use this site for all the stats..
http://michigan-football.com/

again feel free to correct my many mistakes...LOL...

Last edited:
D7...Ishepming wins today and I had DL by 30+ Looks like David was ready in this match-up :) Man I was way off on this one... You look at the records and scores and the size of the kids and I thought this was a mismatch.. talk about a good game plan and coaching..

D1... Defending champs won by 15 and I said by 10... Man Cass techs defense was good..
D3...GRC wins by 3...I thought GRC by 6 and they won by 3 in ot... Great game..
D5.. Portland won by 3 and I said by 6 so I was a tad off on this one... Good game though..

Last edited:
I see you're still doing a good job with the high school sports bob, keep up the good work.
Some real good games this year, unlike last year. I was more surprised with the harbor beach game than any others. BC has great tradition and a friend of mine with knowledge of both teams said BC would roll. Unlike most, i wasnt too surprised with Loyola losing. I watched Loyola last year against Hudson and wasn't that impressed. They have the talent but their coach sucks. Hudson made them look like shit last year.
Just finished watching Harris make some great catches in an outstanding game, hope he stays with MSU ( crossing fingers ).
All in all, a great MHSAA finals !!!

Thanks GW.. Yeah i Just looked at the scores this year paying no attention to last years scores at all and was way off on that game.. My dad's hunting buddies from way back are from up in the UP so i was glad Ishpeming won..I saw some of it and they took it to DL.. Some really great games this year like you said.. Harris is so good.. Those two 4th down catches were so good and hard.. The kid goes over 2000 yards on the season with over 200+ yards tonight..WOW!! Hope MSU keeps him to because of my wife...LOL (Wish Hoke had him) :) The kid is money... Glad Portland won as my wife's step mom's daughter went there and her cancer is really bad so was pulling for them.. I thought the BC harbor Beach game would be better.. Looking at the schedule I saw HB beating a tough Muskegon Catholic Central the week before and only losing to a much bigger school Menominee so what the heck i rolled with them LOL.. lucky guess...Beal City is good though.. yes the finals were so much better then last year...

Last edited:
Now we have to wait 9 months until it starts again. Love me some HS football. I know many enjoy college and NFL, but I cant get enough of the cool crisp nights under the friday lights. I am still a college and pro fan, but coming from a football community, HS football is in the blood. It just seems so much more, real, than going to a college game. Going to miss it.

Yeah my daughters days in the band are over this year.. She Marched and played Sax her first 3 years and they needed color guard girls this year and she filled in great for only doing it her senior year. i will miss her playing.. The band finished 5th,2nd,2nd, and 6th her 4 years at Ford Field.. So those are great memories for us and her playing.. (Both seconds were by less in a tenth of a point to Ferndale) Damn it!!!!

Yup I will still catch some games..I was frustrated after we finished 5-4 (Byron center) with a chance on the road for a playoff bid and to tie for the conference title and we played a bad game and lost 14-11 at Holland Christian.. Just another frustrating game..But the playoffs are exciting.. So many good football communities in Michigan and in America for High School ball.. Some teams play at such a high level..

Last edited:
Back