Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Currently, who is the best player in the game?

jdeb

When I think of the best player, several factors come in to play and the various statistical categories have influence. The ones that do not offer a measurable such as leadership or defensive ability often are overlooked. Pitchers do not play play in the same amount of games.

So for the sake of taking a look at some obvious stalwarts ( Braun, Prince, Miggy, etc.), there may be gold at the end of the rainbow. Players such as Bautista, Granderson, Pedroia, Ellsbury, and Avila's of the world are often overlooked.

I think Granderson is becoming that man. He is the glue of the Yankees. Bautista is the best player statistically this year by a long shot. Pedroia takes a back seat to Ellsbury, only from a power stand point. Avila is just emerging this year but his leadership from calling a game to getting bowled over at the plate are elevating his stature. Not to mention some majestic and timely shots.

It is easy to state Bautista as the best player and his stats do not lie. He is clearly advanced at the plate.

Granderson however, brings many things to the table. He is genuine, hard working, and produces in a lineup that is filled with talent. His defense has been recently criticized based on statistical info but day in and day out, every pitcher on that staff wants him out here on defense. His work ethic is contagious. His speed is above average. All things considered, I think Granderson is the best player in baseball today and the Tigers let him go.

I have to see someone do it multiple years. And multiple, I mean several. AL Miggy, NL Pujols.

How much does leadership really matter in baseball? You don't directly affect anybody else's play, except maybe somewhat on D.

Btw, that last statement in the OP is false. We didn't LET him go. Plus Grandy is somewhat effected with that short porch at Yankee Stadium. I've seen at least 7-8 home runs barely make it into the stands. Only in NY.

I'll take Cabby over Steroid guy any day. I'm not one to think you can go from a 16 home run season high to over 50 without some help.

To the OP, Grandy is no doubt a nice guy and a terrific teammate, but he benefits from playing half of his games in one of the most hitter friendly fields for left-handed hitters in baseball history. His defense in centerfield these days is average, and I would gladly take our own AJ in CF over Granderson. Bautista is the most feared hitter in the AL, despite hitting in a lineup without the star power and protection that the Yankees afford Curtis. That all said, the best player is still Pujols, followed by Bautista. Granderson probably isn't even in the top 10.

I knew I would get some flack for it. I just think with all things considered he brings the most to the table. Hitting, defense, power, speed, leadership etc. I also could care less if he has a short porch.

jh1spartanfan said:
How much does leadership really matter in baseball? You don't directly affect anybody else's play, except maybe somewhat on D.

Yes, on defense the catcher is generally the field leader...

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
jh1spartanfan said:

Its more deeper than that. In the IF its the SS, in the OF its the CF. If they tell you get the fk outta my way that's the way it is. C is the catcher, he doesn't tell the other players where to position themselves. He's just the catcher. He's important for the pitcher. And the pitcher only.

Granderson's production this year is more reliant on Yankee Stadium than any other player in the last 7 years according to MLB.com

Meaning if he played somewhere else is numbers would look pedestrian.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="TinselWolverine":hh08y8f7]

Its more deeper than that. In the IF its the SS, in the OF its the CF. If they tell you get the fk outta my way that's the way it is. C is the catcher, he doesn't tell the other players where to position themselves. He's just the catcher. He's important for the pitcher. And the pitcher only. [/quote:hh08y8f7]

No.

The Catcher calls everything once a ball is in play, he is the only one who is positioned to see the whole field.

He calls the throws, and the cutoffs from the outfields.

He might tell what base the 3B should throw to on a bunt but if the ball is hit past Jackson he doesn't look towards Avila to see where the cutoff man is. And if a ball is hit to Peralta with the runner on first going on the pitch, Peralta doesn't take a glance at Avila to see what he should do. You think Avila was directing Inge to throw to second on that bases loaded situation?

I suppose he might add one or more elements to what the infield does that I'm missing but he's not doing all what you say he does.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]He might tell what base the 3B should throw to on a bunt but if the ball is hit past Jackson he doesn't look towards Avila to see where the cutoff man is. And if a ball is hit to Peralta with the runner on first going on the pitch, Peralta doesn't take a glance at Avila to see what he should do. You think Avila was directing Inge to throw to second on that bases loaded situation?

I suppose he might add one or more elements to what the infield does that I'm missing but he's not doing all what you say he does.

They don't "look", the catcher yells what play to make, but yea, in quick out situations the plays are already set so they don't have to look at or wait for the catcher to tell them.

Most defensive plays are set before the pitch is thrown.

Yeah but don't yell to the OF, lol. And if Santiago gets the cutoff, its another IF probably Jhonny P. who's yelling home home .

MI_Thumb said:
[quote="Mitch":pnxheu3f]

Its more deeper than that. In the IF its the SS, in the OF its the CF. If they tell you get the fk outta my way that's the way it is. C is the catcher, he doesn't tell the other players where to position themselves. He's just the catcher. He's important for the pitcher. And the pitcher only.

No.

The Catcher calls everything once a ball is in play, he is the only one who is positioned to see the whole field.

He calls the throws, and the cutoffs from the outfields.[/quote:pnxheu3f]

Thank you.

That is absolutely correct.

Back