Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

BJ Upton to the Braves

manchild98

Free-agent outfielder B.J. Upton has agreed to a five-year deal worth $75.25 million with the Atlanta Braves, pending a physical, a baseball source told ESPN.

Upton, 28, has spent his entire eight-year career with the Tampa Bay Rays. He batted .246 with 28 home runs, 78 RBIs and 31 stolen bases last season. He's averaged .255, 20 homers, 75 RBIs and 39 steals per season.

Upton turned down a one-year, $13.3 million guaranteed offer from the Rays earlier this month.

The Rays just gave third baseman Evan Longoria a six-year contract extension worth $100 million, but the team was in the bottom third of the league in payroll last season and was not expected to be able to afford Upton.

Upton will become just the third outfielder 28 or younger (as of Opening Day) to receive a contract of at least $75 million, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The others were Manny Ramirez in 2000 from the Boston Red Sox (eight years, $160 million) and Carlos Beltran in 2004 from the New York Mets (seven years, $119 million).

Not a fan of either Upton brother. I am just glad we didnt spend that on him.

That's because it is. He also had a .298 OBP last year. Delmon Young had a .296.

Upton had an above average of a .333 wOBA compared to Young's sub-standard .305 in 2012.
Uptons ISO was .205, which is impressive, and Young's an average .145.

Point: Young sucks; Upton doesn't.

He's not worth near that much even if he is better than Delmon.

He's not worth near that much even if he is better than Delmon.

And that was my only point. This is why it's hard to have any empathy for owners in any sport when the start getting into trouble financially. You hand out crazy deals to guys who are not worth it. The Miggy's and Verlander's of the world should make 15 million per year...not the Upton's and Annibal Sanchez's. It's stupid and I don't understand it.

And that was my only point. This is why it's hard to have any emDel Mons f or owners in any sport when the start getting into trouble financially. You hand out crazy deals to guys who are not worth it. The Miggy's and Verlander's of the world should make 15 million per year...not the Upton's and Annibal Sanchez's. It's stupid and I don't understand it.

True that. Have a player limit, the studs get 15m with the next tier down at 7-10 and the Delmons of the world get 3. And Inge at 327,000.

Back