Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Aaron Berry

nattyiceman2

I've seen a lot of posters speak very highly about berry, and many pencil him as our nickel over Alphonso Smith, but I just don't see what all the talk is about... I have seen him penalized a few times, get burnt, and that about all I have seen from him...

On the other side I have watched Smith last year pick off 5 balls in a short period and make some nice plays on other balls... Everyone just remembers him getting burned from Brady but I def. see a lot of upside in the guy... I def. haven't seen anything to warrent Berry over Smith, but I guess I don't go to the practices or anything... Plus who knows how Smith will return from that foot injury, but what do you guys all think?

Berry sucks....hence he wasnt drafted. And when he doesnt suck hes injured. McDonald has outplayed him this offseason.

We haven't really seen much of berry, he won the nickel spot last year but we didn't even get 1 game. Smith got burned alot last year which was over shadowed by his int's but with his injury he is going to have to work his way up the depth chart (if he can). Its looking like it will be Mcdonald in the nickel and Berry in the dime.

Smith was left starting on an island against a veteran pass happy patriots team. What do you think would have happened to berry in the same situation? Neither are worthy of starting but Carlton would be an excellent nickel with above average ball skills. Much better than berry Idk why people are so high on him... I guess his 5 minutes were great last season considering.

Berry is no different that Follet, or Az Hakim, or Bill Schroeder... there was a time when fans were high on all of them.

And that's because when you have very little talent, there's nothing better to be excited about. But once you start amassing better talent, those kind of players lose their shine real fast and you see them for the players they really are.... 3rd string depth you can't wait to upgrade.

I don't know about you guys but I've been pretty impressed with Mcdonald thus far. He's consistently making nice plays in support of the run and his coverage skills have improved.

As a Pitt alum with season tickets I saw nearly every game Berry played with Pitt. He's not bad, but was terribly inconsistent. Make a great play one down and then left crispy on the next. If he could keep his head in the game he'd be a solid nickel, but I wouldn't expect much more (although I'd love to be mistaken). He wasn't drafted due to character concerns, the talent wasn't the issue.

McDonald has impressed me the most, I would be suprised if he wasnt the Nickel at the start of the season.

Mcdonald has looked good against the run and only ok against the pass. But thats most of our DBs so who knows.

I was screaming for Amukamara at the draft, but really don't feel too bad rolling with Houston, Wright, Smith, and McDonald as our starting 4 this year based on preseason performance

I can't say I am excited about our secondary, but I am not as worried about them as I was a little over a month ago... Pretty okay young group in my opinion. I am hoping to see them gel and improve over the season.

Not sure why berry got the love, he has proven nothing and shown this pre season to be pretty bad. perhaps fans got turned on by the fact that he worked out with Derelle Revis this off season. AS if some greatness would rub off on him.

Because for some reason, many Detroit fans like the underdog with almost no shot. Explains why a fair amount of them become big supporters of the 7th rounder-UDFA guys and the AAA scrubs (while also trying to make insane cases as to why they should start/play more).

inkfreq said:
Berry is no different that Follet, or Az Hakim, or Bill Schroeder... there was a time when fans were high on all of them.

And that's because when you have very little talent, there's nothing better to be excited about. But once you start amassing better talent, those kind of players lose their shine real fast and you see them for the players they really are.... 3rd string depth you can't wait to upgrade.

Right on. I know I used to be high on Schroeder. Don't really know why.

He got a bunch of 1st team reps early in camp because of FA and injuries. Still appears to be a dime, ST type player...if he makes the team.

I think people are hi on Berry because the coaching staff was so hi on him last year. He hasn't proved anything because he's still young and we have a lot of talent at CB.

Back