Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dale Murphy and the Age Outs

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-age-outs.html?tcid=MLB_Homepage_40580816
This year, Dale Murphy will become the 35th player to age off the Hall of Fame ballot after 15 years. We'll get into Murphy in a minute, but first: It's an excellent collection of players.
Some were elected into the Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee: Richie Ashburn, Jim Bunning, Orlando Cepeda, Nellie Fox, Bill Mazeroski, Ron Santo and Red Schoendienst.

Others made it all 15 years because of a singular achievement: Don Larsen, Maury Wills and Roger Maris being the most obvious of those.

The other 24 were all terrific players ? but in the end, the voters determined that something was missing. Something. It's worth taking a quick look.

The HOF is so arbitrary these days, I can't judge who belongs and who doesn't anymore. And now that these players are a generation younger than I am now, the luster is gone.

I think it has become watered down some. There are recent players that imo were part of the hall of the very good to excellent, just imo not hof worthy.

More pick and choose than ever before. what are there close to 600 voting!!??

I'm kind of all for some with longevity and close to the magic numbers, then the players having shorter but good years don't measure up in my eyes.
guess there is no correct answer on voting any player in.

I would probably put 12 of those players in.

The only player who jumps out at first read of those facts is Kaat. Minoso is perhaps another player who should be in the HOF.

http://www.hallofstats.com/articles/positional-rankings
Positional Rankings. bookmark for future reference.
from Hall of Stats

Adam Darowski did the hall of stats recently. Some rankings of all the players.

Look at Trammell and Whitaker.

Still active SPs, such as Verlander, (69) Lee, (69) (Jered) Weaver, (56) Haren (59) (Felix) Hernandez (63) Beckett,(65) Greinke (61) and Peavy, (65) are bunched together in the middle of his rankings, and are rated lower in comparison to, for example, Buehrle, (93) (Johan) Santana, (107) Sabathia, (101) Halladay, (139) Pettitte (104) Hudson, (104) and Oswalt (107) ...hmm... Obviously Roy Halladay is far and away the best active SP according to his list...does he highly value longevity in creating his rankings?

Still active SPs, such as Verlander, (69) Lee, (69) (Jered) Weaver, (56) Haren (59) (Felix) Hernandez (63) Beckett,(65) Greinke (61) and Peavy, (65) are bunched together in the middle of his rankings, and are rated lower in comparison to, for example, Buehrle, (93) (Johan) Santana, (107) Sabathia, (101) Halladay, (139) Pettitte (104) Hudson, (104) and Oswalt (107) ...hmm... Obviously Roy Halladay is far and away the best active SP according to his list...does he highly value longevity in creating his rankings?

iirc it has...
Something to do with WAR, all-star type seasons with a War over maybe 5? and MVP type seasons with WAR over 8.
Wins Above Average, Wins Above Replacement.

The guy is really good and has spread around from beyond the boxscore to HighHeatStats among others in the blogosphere.

Last edited:
Back