Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Angels sign Hamilton

tomdalton22

5 years at $125M. I wish the Tigers could have gotten Fielder on these terms. I don't like the 8-10 year deals.

its a shame they have zero pitching outside wilson to go with that lineup. i hope this signing blows up in their faces, i fucking despise the angels.

on the other hand, maybe we can pry away one of their extra OFs now, maybe bourjos? imagine that defensive outfield lol. he wouldnt have the power we'd want, but since hed move to center, putting ajax in a corner, that would likely be ok with ajax's increasing power.

they let Hunter go because there was no room in the OF, with Trout, Trumbo, Wells, and Borgious....so they sign Hamilton?

Maybe they try to trade Trumbo? Because nobody is going to touch Wells' contract.

Trumbo can move about the field and play five positions (including DH). Borgious might be the one who is dangled.

rangers might go after swisher, (keeps indians from getting him), or trade for justin upton.

Trumbo can move about the field and play five positions (including DH). Borgious might be the one who is dangled.

Well 3 of those positions are OF.

DH is a good spot, but does anyone want to stick a young guy at DH?

He's terrible at 3rd. He can play it, but shouldn't. It's like Ryan Raburn at 2nd.

Borgious I agree is probably the man on the block, but they could really get a good haul for Trumbo, if they're trying to win right now.

It would be funny if the A's can repeat as AL West champs next season, over both the Rangers and Angels, however unlikely. The Angels payroll is pretty high with the addition of Josh b'gosh, I wonder how close they are to the top, in the AL anyway, and figure that they are still likely to sign another #2-3 SP after losing Greinke. Maybe instead they will try to trade an OFer such as Bourjos (or Bourjos+? )for a high or low #4-5 SP if they feel that their offense will be vastly improved with Hamilton.

Los Angeles/Anaheim isn't exactly Arlington, lots more temptation to fall off the wagon, especially since he will be an Angel for more than a couple of seasons. Josh might be motivated at first, but who knows if or for how long he might be able to control and maintain being clean and sober there, with all the celebrity attractions in nearby Hollywood and the partying going on?

Last edited:
Well 3 of those positions are OF.

DH is a good spot, but does anyone want to stick a young guy at DH?

He's terrible at 3rd. He can play it, but shouldn't. It's like Ryan Raburn at 2nd.

Borgious I agree is probably the man on the block, but they could really get a good haul for Trumbo, if they're trying to win right now.

I was talking about Trumbo playing first base, not third base. He would demand a lot in return, I agree.

Losing a oft-stud @ the plate like Hamilton, who is only a couple of years removed from his MVP season, to a division rival who is also one of their fiercest competitors for the AL West title, has to stick in Nolan Ryan's craw. The Angels also signed the ex-Rangers SP CJ Wilson last off-season, and the Rangers may have lost the player that they signed away from the Angels in the PT catcher/1B Napoli who is or may soon become due to ? marks after his physical a Red Sox. I wonder what the Rangers FO might do to counter the likely significantly improved Angels ballclub?

Sign Swisher?
Sign Sanchez?
Both?

Over last 3 seasons, 4 players have hit .290 with 100 HR and 300 RBI.
All 4 are on the Angels or Tigers (Cabrera, Fielder, Pujols, Hamilton).

on the other hand, maybe we can pry away one of their extra OFs now, maybe bourjos? imagine that defensive outfield lol. he wouldnt have the power we'd want, but since hed move to center, putting ajax in a corner, that would likely be ok with ajax's increasing power.

I think we should go after Torii Hunter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/31480/hamilton-doesnt-ensure-playoffs-for-angels
Hamilton doesn't ensure playoffs for Angels.
espn

8. Still trying to wrap my head around $125 million for an outfielder in his 30s with a problematic history of addiction, injuries, chewing tobacco withdrawal and an 8 percent increase in his strikeout rate last season -- during a year in which he led all hitters in percentage of swings on pitches outside the strike zone.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/31480/hamilton-doesnt-ensure-playoffs-for-angels
Hamilton doesn't ensure playoffs for Angels.
espn

8. Still trying to wrap my head around $125 million for an outfielder in his 30s with a problematic history of addiction, injuries, chewing tobacco withdrawal and an 8 percent increase in his strikeout rate last season -- during a year in which he led all hitters in percentage of swings on pitches outside the strike zone.

It might have something do with the Dodgers stealing the West Coast baseball spotlight away from the Angels, ever since near the end of last season, just a guess. Younger brother is jealous of older brother? :p

Back