Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Twins Sign FA RH SP Kevin Correia

turok

"The 32-year-old Lapa & Leventhal client spent last season with the Pirates where he pitched to a 4.21 ERA in 171 innings with a 4.7 K/9, 2.4 BB/9 and strong 51.2 percent ground-ball rate. He'll join Vance Worley and Scott Diamond in a Twins rotation that will also likely include 2009 first-rounder and eventual Tommy John victim Kyle Gibson."

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#BIFbz0xKrmOtJkmV.99

Correa has never pitched for an AL team, and his ERA+ has been worse than average with the Padres and then the Pirates, both for a couple of seasons His career WHIP average in the NL is 1.411...this although he somehow was selected by the SF Giants manager Bruce Bochy for the '11 All-Star team, (but did not pitch) when with the Pirates. Maybe Kevin was chosen by Bochy b/c he was a Giant when he began his MLB career, and remained in SF for 6 seasons.

"Over the last two seasons, Correia has simply forgotten how to strike anyone out at all, putting up K/9 rates of 4.50 and 4.68 in 2011 and 2012. He has also lowered his walk rate, but the truth remains that he?s a pretty good candidate to get hit hard early and often."

http://stangraphs.com/2012/12/11/fr...-correia-are-cool-with-being-bad-at-baseball/

Unfortunately we Tigers fans know all too well how the teams hitters have fared vs mediocre or just plain shitty SPs that they should be lighting up. Maybe with the addition of Hunter and the return of VMart, the team might actually knock some of these scrubs out of games "early and often"

Dave Dombrowski: Were you followed?

Terry Ryan: No, no, of course not. Do you have the files?

Dombrowski: I do.

Ryan: Why are you doing this?

Dombrowski: This is about equity. I can't stand it that my owner is trying to buy a championship, so I'm looking to help out the small-market teams however I can. If that means secretly passing along the top research of my best statisticians, well, that's what I have to do.

Ryan: /opens manila envelope, pulls out report

Ryan: This looks like a four-year-old's crayon drawing with the words "strikouts are bad and pitchurs shouldnt throw them because their mean" written across the top.

Dombrowski: I know, but they're the math experts. They're usually spot-on. I learned a long time ago not to question them.

Ryan: What's that?

Dombrowski: That's the sun.

Dombrowski: That's a whale.

Dombrowski: That's a strikeout eating a pigeon.

Ryan: And you're sure this is legit intel?

Dombrowski: What, like I'd be feeding you misinformation to gain a competitive advantage? This isn't Hollywood, Terry.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/12/11/...rests-likes-dislikes-married-pictures-fan-fic

Too bad for Twinks and Yanks fans that the ballclub hasn't been able to be competitive, much less contenders on a consistent basis ever since leaving their Baggiedome. Yankees fans no longer can gleefully watch their team utterly destroy, humiliate and completely own the Twins in the ALDS. But then the Yankees haven't been doing much other than acquiring broken down injury-prone has-beens like yuckilis, and resigning ancient ,brittle, and creaky veteran pitchers, some who were injured last season, such as Pettitte, Rivera, and Kuroda, hoping that they still can perform at least ~ their career averages. Ichiro is the only probable signing thus far, who might be worth the amount of years and money that they could be shelling out for him. His deal may be in the two-year, $12-14MM range

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/new_york_yankees/index.html#qsp177v1QqZRFlHF.99

Last edited:
Back