Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Anyone from North Carolina or have lived there?

Mitchrapp

Northern Michigan Wildcats
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
I'll be moving there this spring/summer and I'm looking for insight on nice cities to live. Not big cities like Charlotte or anything and maybe personally opinions on the state itself. Any help would be appreciated..Thanks.

Btw, our Realtor looks like Al Kaline (happy birthday Al) so that's a good sign.

Last edited:
I am moving to Tega Cay, SC sometime soon(house will be finished in June). The area there is really nice and it is about 30 minutes from Charlotte. My mom has a place in Hayesville near the GA border which is nice and quiet town and a couple of hours from ATL. Other than that I know very little about NC.

Okay thanks, jscott. I have been looking at certain cities, since I'm not tied to a particular area and Pinehurst looks very nice. I know its golf country there and I would not want to live near a golf course.

I never thought I'd live anywhere but Michigan but its exciting and the winters will be better.

I'll be moving there this spring/summer and I'm looking for insight on nice cities to live. Not big cities like Charlotte or anything and maybe personally opinions on the state itself. Any help would be appreciated..Thanks.

Btw, our Realtor looks like Al Kaline (happy birthday Al) so that's a good sign.

Charlotte is not that big of a city. Been here for five months and I love it.

Charlotte is not that big of a city. Been here for five months and I love it.

Do you live right in the city?

I guess its big to me because I've lived in the country for a long time.

Last edited:
Do you live right in the city?

I guess its big to me because I've lived in the country for a long time.

A few miles south of up town. If you are looking for rural then it's not the place. In and around Asheville is more remote or up by Boone.

A few miles south of up town. If you are looking for rural then it's not the place. In and around Asheville is more remote or up by Boone.

I've actually looked at both those places. Though Boone I suspect has a bit colder temps. in winter do to it being closer to the mountains..

Thanks for the info..

Last edited:
My ex-wifes parents lived near Salisbury, NC. and her grandmother was in Kannapolis, NC.

Visited a few times, and I didn't think it was too bad, nice hilly/slightly mountain type terrain, though very rocky.

And they have rattlesnakes, just fyi.

Rattlesnakes? Is that just near the mountains or does all NC have them? I hate freakin' snakes.

Everywhere in NC has rattlesnakes. The only time I have seen one(actually 2 near each other) is by a river in Chattanooga. Picking a area all depends on preference, I wanted to be close but not to close to a big city. My wife wanted a neighborhood where our son could have friends but I wanted to have enough land where we weren't so close to neighbors. The area we picked works well for us, plus being close to the river helps.

I'm in Durham and I love it. The Durham Bulls are great. The Durham Performing Arts Center is #4 in annual attendance nationally and #1 for theaters under 4,000 seats. It makes a boatload of those top ten places to do whatever (http://www.durham-nc.com/about/accolades.php). It's become something of a foodie town with breweries and food trucks and interesting restaurants.

Also, Chapel Hill feels sort of like Ann Arbor to me.

I'm in Durham and I love it. The Durham Bulls are great. The Durham Performing Arts Center is #4 in annual attendance national and #1 for theaters under 4,000 seats. It makes a boatload of those top ten places to do whatever (http://www.durham-nc.com/about/accolades.php). It's become something of a foodie town with breweries and food trucks and interesting restaurants.

Also, Chapel Hill feels sort of like Ann Arbor to me.

I'm not much of an Ann Arbor fan though, lol. Appreciate the info, I might just get an Atlas and close my eyes and pick somewhere. I'll be happy wherever I'm at.

Rattlesnakes? Is that just near the mountains or does all NC have them? I hate freakin' snakes.

I haven't seen one or heard about anyone seeing one here. I know someone that found a copperhead in the next neighborhood over.

I've lost count how many black widow spiders I've killed, probably about a half dozen a year.

Poisonous spiders? Now you guys are freakin' me out.

Don't come to FL if you hate spiders. I have killed at least 50 brown widows this summer in my pool cage. They are driving out the black widows so that's a good sign. Have someone spray your house and keep some big bomb around and you're good to go.

Don't come to FL if you hate spiders. I have killed at least 50 brown widows this summer in my pool cage. They are drivingoutt the black widows so that's a good sign. Have someone spray your house and keep some big bomb around and you're good to go.

Have had many vacations to Florida over the years so familiar with what they offer. I might just have to send the kids out ahead of me to do some recon.

Back