Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pirates trade Hanrahan to redsox in 6 player deal

Well, the Red Sox strong BP is now stronger though I'm not sure this was a need for them.

BoSox have become one of the most active ballclubs during the off-season so far. They look like they are well on their way to achieving mediocrity in the AL East, depending of course upon how the other ballclubs fare that were and were not contenders in their division last season. Pirates give up Hanrahan, and although all of the names involved in the two for four trade have not been revealed, it seems like they got a couple of prospects back so far, with one being a utility OFer who has played all 3 OF positions as well as @ 1B in Sands, who has seen some limited action with the LA Dodgers recently, but with only 23 PAs in 9 games last season. Are the Pirates intending to promote Jason Grilli for him to fill their closer role next season?

Last edited:
that might be the pirates plan, having grilli close,

I was looking at Hanrahan early when the FA's list came out, and was surprised at his BB/9 gone up in 2012.
looked some more, and maybe some velocity decrease, so was more hoping Tigers didn't get after him, especially for a starter/Porcello.

nothing the redsox have done, no matter the number of offseason moves, signings, trades has impressed me.
it all points to mediocrity imo....starters, bullpen, lineup.
and of course, I like that!!

Pirates 3rd player in their trade appears to be Mark Melancon, a RH RP age 27 (28 in March) who posted a lousy 6.20 era in 45 IP with the Red Sox last season. He also spent time in the minors, after being acquired from the Astros in December of last year. He did much better as a closer with Houston, compiling an 8-4 W/L record, 20 saves, 2.78 era, and a 1.224 WHIP in 74 IP, so maybe returning to the NL will again be more beneficial for him.

IMO, this was just a way to get rid of a high contract. Pittsburgh's sole purpose is to suck season after season.

Well, the Red Sox strong BP is now stronger though I'm not sure this was a need for them.

Once Aceves fritzed (sic) out, the closer position was in need of attention. Andrew Bailey was not the answer.

Last edited:
They almost won their division last year for sucking. They don't have the payroll to afford a ton of big names.

Worst thing about MLB.

Back