Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Winter Solstice Thread

tinselwolverine

All that Mayan calendar stuff and everything else made me forget to post the change of the season thread; the last season change, obviously, until next year.

x160.jpg
320px-Winter_Solstice_Sunset_-_Kolkata_2011-12-22_7710.JPG

1_6c5bf6_1dbbe7cd16.jpg
zPutImg.php

safe_image.php
midnight_alaska_by_tiffa_riika-d4c464f.jpg

Happy Winter everybody.

Last edited:
This, obviously, is a rewind from last year.

It's tomorrow of course, December 21, 2013, at 12:11 EST; but I'll be busy in the morning, and might not be able to get around to rewinding.

So once again, Happy Winter everyone.

on Winter Solstice, the Sun goes right through Stonehenge, right?

stonehenge-winter-solstice-2003-01.jpg

the science half of Red will probably think this is funny, but the Jesus half will be offended:
axial_tilt_winter_solstice_card-p137718812064767826zv2h8_400.jpg

It's wacky how them Druids got it right with them giant freakin' boulders...

It's wacky how them Druids got it right with them giant freakin' boulders...
meh. for you or me, maybe... but for them... when there's no TV, no internet, not even books to read, and no modern HVAC system in your hut, so you're always either too hot or too cold, there's not more to do than watch where the sun comes up and goes down every day.

and back then, when 99% of the population were uneducated, superstition dolts you could round up the labor you needed to stack some rocks by telling them you were a holy man and doing a couple parlor tricks.

People were pretty bright back then. Probably too bright to think giant freakin' boulders would make good instruments. These days, we think that sounds like a good idea.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/12/ne...nge-may-have-been-massive-musical-instrument/

that's just stupid.

I could see doing that if there was just one massive stone (still not a great way to make noise), but if you're just looking to make a musical instrument, you can do it with easier to move materials than dragging all that stone tonnage up there.

then again, on Easter Island, they build all those giant moais just to honor dead ancestors, and built bigger and bigger ones as a sort of stone age pissing contest, eventually leading to the complete deforestation of the island, destruction of their own ecosystem, mass starvation and collapse.

so... people do dumb things for dumb reasons.

that's just stupid.

I could see doing that if there was just one massive stone (still not a great way to make noise), but if you're just looking to make a musical instrument, you can do it with easier to move materials than dragging all that stone tonnage up there.

then again, on Easter Island, they build all those giant moais just to honor dead ancestors, and built bigger and bigger ones as a sort of stone age pissing contest, eventually leading to the complete deforestation of the island, destruction of their own ecosystem, mass starvation and collapse.

so... people do dumb things for dumb reasons.

I've heard that narrative before, and I'm sure the statues didn't help, but I think it had more to do with the population exceeding the capacity of the island...with or without the monuments. You have a population of 7,000 and an average of 3.5 monuments going up per year on 63 sq. mi.

images

Last edited:
I've heard that narrative before, and I'm sure the statues didn't help, but I think it had more to do with the population exceeding the capacity of the island...with or without the monuments. You have a population of 7,000 and an average of 3.5 monuments going up per year on 63 sq. mi.

images

yes, I didn't mean to suggest that statue building alone was the cause; it exacerbated the de-forestation, but with that many people on an isolated island like that, it was bound to collapse eventually, unless they otherwise could implement some successful birth control/population management or conservation techniques (and they did not)

Last edited by a moderator:
that... whoa...

simple, yet effective. is that a real stone Moai?

that... whoa...

simple, yet effective. is that a real stone Moai?

It's a 5 ton replica. A couple professors got 18 people together to show one way they could have been moved around.

I saw a thing on lifting big stones too. Given enough time, even one man could do it. You need a big amount of weight you can move back and forth on top of the rock and a structure underneath that you can build up. Tip it to one side, build up underneath the free side, then tip it back to build up the first side...slowly inch your way up.

It's a 5 ton replica. A couple professors got 18 people together to show one way they could have been moved around.

I saw a thing on lifting big stones too. Given enough time, even one man could do it. You need a big amount of weight you can move back and forth on top of the rock and a structure underneath that you can build up. Tip it to one side, build up underneath the free side, then tip it back to build up the first side...slowly inch your way up.

ah, so it was NOT aliens.

ah, so it was NOT aliens.

That remains to be proven. You'd probably need 40-50 aliens instead of 18 humans (I'm assuming they're little green men), but there's no reason this couldn't be a method developed by aliens.

The people that predicted an ice age in the 70's were right!

LOL... wouldn't it be funny if all the greenhouse gases we've released into the atmosphere ended up saving our collective asses instead of screwing everything up? God knows we could use a little luck in order to survive as a civilization...

Back