Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Maggs

batcave76

He's gotten grief the last couple yrs from fans but, if you look at his career stats, say from 99-08, minus 04 and 05 when he was injured much of the time, he has to rate as a top 10-15 hitter in that time frame. maybe Rebb could pull some comps. In any event, it's easy to forget the heat Det took signing him w/his injury issues, but it was a great move.

seems Mags has lost that gap power he had...I just remember him hitting the ball on a line in the gaps to the fences much more a coupe years back in Comerica.

still a Mags fan though...like Pudge they came and signed here when the ball club had one of the worst reputations around.

I'm still a Maggs fan too. I really think the end is near for him as a player, but he can still hit when healthy. It's a shame he's so slow, because he'd have a couple years left if he could hit an empty .300 and actually move around the bases.

Still like the move.

They took a big risk on him, giving him that big of a contract with his knee injury history.

He ended up having a solid 3 year span for us including an amazing 2007. As well as being a crucial part of the 2006 world series season (even though he didn't play too well in the playoffs, aside from the walk-off series clincher of course).

Another move I liked that doesn't get much mention (anymore) was Santiago for Guillen.

Guillen was huge for us for a few years there and still plays occasionally when healthy...not to mention we ended up getting Santiago back 2 years later.

People may love the Tiger teams of the latter half of the 00s but I probably enjoyed watching them the most in the rebuilding years of 04 and 05.

SLICK said:
seems Mags has lost that gap power he had...I just remember him hitting the ball on a line in the gaps to the fences much more a coupe years back in Comerica.

still a Mags fan though...like Pudge they came and signed here when the ball club had one of the worst reputations around.
He was the epitome of a #3 hitter in his prime. Not the power of a Kaline, Yaz or F Robbie, but the guy was a professional hitter plain and simple. His only mistake was hanging around too long. Hard to pass on those big bucks I guess. Speaking of Pudge, ppl forget that he came here, forget the $, and was only 1 of a few that shud have even been on a MLB roster. Turned this whole franchise around. The guy sould be revered!

batcave76 said:
SLICK said:

He was the epitome of a #3 hitter in his prime. Not the power of a Kaline, Yaz or F Robbie, but the guy was a professional hitter plain and simple. His only mistake was hanging around too long. Hard to pass on those big bucks I guess. Speaking of Pudge, ppl forget that he came here, forget the $, and was only 1 of a few that shud have even been on a MLB roster. Turned this whole franchise around. The guy sould be revered!

Funny to think about that 2003-04 off-season, if memory serves me correctly, Fernando Vina was actually the one who started it all...and he ended up having almost no impact.

Romneybot said:
batcave76 said:

Funny to think about that 2003-04 off-season, if memory serves me correctly, Fernando Vina was actually the one who started it all...and he ended up having almost no impact.
I think Vina was alot like Maggs....Had some injury issues, Tigers took a chance on him but he never recovered. I suppose the same could have happened to Maggs. I guess had Vina been healthy, PP never would have been signed.

Maggs looks like he still has some power left. Hopefully he saves it for the post season

Romneybot said:
Another move I liked that doesn't get much mention (anymore) was Santiago for Guillen.

Guillen was huge for us for a few years there and still plays occasionally when healthy...not to mention we ended up getting Santiago back 2 years later.

People may love the Tiger teams of the latter half of the 00s but I probably enjoyed watching them the most in the rebuilding years of 04 and 05.
Santiago was nothing more than a throw in on that deal. Carlos was traded for as a stop gap at SS. Det really wanted the guy from San Fran(Name escapes me)....A free agent that tanked after getting a big contract. Guillen really came into his own in Det. Became a very good hitter etc. Seattle never would have let him go for 3 scrubs knowing he'd end up being such a good hitter and clubhouse leader. Very good break for the Tigers.

I was glad we got Maggs and guillen. Big time players here in Detroit. I just don't want to see them in the lineup now.

I think Maggs is going to be very important for us come playoff time. He shows signs of getting it together at the plate. When he starts driving the ball to right is when he gets hot.

jdeb said:
I think Maggs is going to be very important for us come playoff time. He shows signs of getting it together at the plate. When he starts driving the ball to right is when he gets hot.

Who's he going to play for. When BB is back I hope not at all. That's if Leyland realizes BB smokes the ball against LHP.

It's tough to see the shell of Magglio Ordonez out there. Hopefully, he's remembered for the bomb he hit off Street to get to the WS or his MVP caliber season in 2007, and not the broken down old guy he looks like now.

tomdalton22 said:
My bet is Maggs great years were helped with PEDs....Just like Pudge.
Why do you say that? If bc he hasn't hit for power the last few yrs, it is prob bc he's mid- late 30's, had a slew of injuries. I've viewed Maggs as being about as genuine and straight laced as they come. If there ever was a guy I'd bet would never juice, it would be him. He's always been a humble, classy guy. The ChiSox were crazy to let him go.

tomdalton22 said:
My bet is Maggs great years were helped with PEDs....Just like Pudge.
That^
That's in no way to discredit what they both did for the franchise or how they got me in to baseball in the first place. It's just the product of the era.

I could very well be wrong. I hope I am. It's just hard for me not to draw parallels with the fall-off of a lot of players after maggs' near-mvp season. A-Rod is the clearest example.

The happiest moment of my career as a fan was Maggs' walk-off in the ALCS. Steroids or not, nothing can remove the joy from that memory. That's just why it's hard to watch him now.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
jdeb said:

Who's he going to play for. When BB is back I hope not at all. That's if Leyland realizes BB smokes the ball against LHP.
BB could be done for the year, Mitch. They said his thumb will need surgery at some point to remain the torn tendon, and if the pain is still present in a week or two we might as well get it over with sooner rather than later. That's where Maggs could be huge for us.

Back