Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hey zyxt9, brain-machine interfaces on 60 minutes tonight

redandguilty

60 minutes is running a piece on brain-machine interfaces tonight. Looks like it will focus on the lady controlling an arm through sensors implanted in her brain that has been in the news lately.

Two nights ago (three nights ago where you are) I sat across a barstool from MichChamp, and told him I felt kinda bad about being as contentious with zyxt9 as I had been.

My wife and MichChamp's woman (I think we can call her that now) stated that emotions for everybody were pretty charged over the Newtown tragedy.

We reconfirmed the resolution that Vic and I have made over the course of three Board meetings that you're the smartest poster on the board.

We did acknowlege that byco gets high marks in smartness as well.

And I made a point that MichChamp and byco share many of the same perspectives-just frequently see different solutions.

Obviously Vic gets have high marks in smartness as well-but now the three of us know each other in real life.

Two nights ago (three nights ago where you are) I sat across a barstool from MichChamp, and told him I felt kinda bad about being as contentious with zyxt9 as I had been.

My wife and MichChamp's woman (I think we can call her that now) stated that emotions for everybody were pretty charged over the Newtown tragedy.

We reconfirmed the resolution that Vic and I have made over the course of three Board meetings that you're the smartest poster on the board.

And I made a point that MichChamp and byco share many of the same perspectives-just frequently see different solutions.

Obviously Vic gets have high marks in smartness as well-but now the three of us know each other in real life.

also if I recall we did not reach consensus on whether tsmith should be referred to as tLiar from now on, or maybe just did not go so far as a formal resolution.

Wow. Sounds like a good time, but I can't support the "smartest poster on the board" talk. And it's not a matter of humility or faked humility (in fact, I love hearing about how smart I am, to a fault even-if I haven't discussed previously my thoughts on why someone would pursue a PhD, the short version is "it's mostly about ego"); my football intelligence is far too low for someone that's paid as much attention as I have with as much interest, and think of my social posting intelligence. Who else on this board misreads tone and sarcasm on the same topics the same way as many times as I do? There are a few topics (like science and religion) where people (you and MC especially) know how to play me like a fiddle.

also if I recall we did not reach consensus on whether tsmith should be referred to as tLiar from now on, or maybe just did not go so far as a formal resolution.

Regarding tsmith, I'm mostly trying to practice what I preach regarding political discussion. If I want to complain about Krugman wasting his column space criticizing violent imagery in Sarah Palin speeches, then I shouldn't waste my time responding to most of what tsmith posts. Lately, I've even skipped reading a lot of his stuff.

...and I don't feel bad about it because he's earned a little de facto shunning.

Wow. Sounds like a good time, but I can't support the "smartest poster on the board" talk. And it's not a matter of humility or faked humility (in fact, I love hearing about how smart I am, to a fault even-if I haven't discussed previously my thoughts on why someone would pursue a PhD, the short version is "it's mostly about ego"); my football intelligence is far too low for someone that's paid as much attention as I have with as much interest, and think of my social posting intelligence. Who else on this board misreads tone and sarcasm on the same topics the same way as many times as I do? There are a few topics (like science and religion) where people (you and MC especially) know how to play me like a fiddle.

OK.

Yes, you are very, very smart; in many ways, you are the smartest amongst us...

That said...

Yes, I have noticed that your first response is to tend to interpret things literally, and sometimes things like nuance and subtlety can be lost upon you, at least on your first reading...

... ...

Yes, I have noticed that your first response is to tend to interpret things literally, and sometimes things like nuance and subtlety can be lost upon you, at least on your first reading...

I'm glad I get the practice here. It's far more embarrassing screwing this stuff up in real life.

sorry i missed the episode and just now saw this thread. i only go into the OT section of the board every now and then. i bet it was a great story though, there are some extremely cool things being done these days, especially for those suffering from paralysis and helping them walk, not well yet but they are making great strides literally and figuratively.

Back