Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

40th anniversary of Roberto Clemente's death-New Year's Eve 12-31-72

turok

@ age 38, wow..didn't know how old he was when he perished in that cargo plane crash off the coast of his native Puerto Rico that was carrying supplies and food to aid earthquake victims in Nicaragua. I have learned more about Roberto in the past year than all of the previous years combined since his death, what a truly admirable, selfless and humble man he was. The polar opposite of some former MLB stars with massive egos, such as Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens.

Clemente would have been 78 years old this year, had he lived to that ripe old age, which is the average lifespan of Hispanic males who reside in the US. I imagine that he would have likely remained in baseball in some capacity, after he retired from playing, perhaps even becoming a manager or coach for a ballclub. The only time that I watched him play, was during the '71 All-Star game, along with Tigers fan favorite Al Kaline for the AL @ Tiger Stadium on a tiny B&W TV @ my family's cottage nearby Lake Michigan.

Every since I was a little kid and learned that a couple months after his 3000 hit he died in a crash doing a good deed I've been a big fan.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_article/40th-anniversary-r.i.p.-roberto-clemente/
The reason Clemente went on the mission.
A great ballplayer and right fielder,

Looking back 40 years, it bothered me back then that Clemente was looked at as an oh so much better rightfielder than Kaline. Both had strong accurate arms, Clemente the higher ave and batting titles, Kaline better obp, power, and 3 second place finishes in ba.

but when it happened reading about it and on the tv it was numbing, here was this baseball great, going on a humanitarian mission of mercy to help out earthquake victims.

In the last 5/10 years some of the sabr crowd and baseball historians like Bill James have come out and said one is really as good as the other. I think a reason Clemente had many more assists was the national league was more of a running league, and first to add blacks and hispanics, better players where more of the American league teams lagged behind. Once Kaline threw out 23 in 1958 the league mostly stopped running on his arm.

That 1971 All-Star game was a who's who of future hall of famers.
The year before or the year after, there was an exhibition all-star game of players and Kaline and Clemente were on the same team and won. Roberto in right, and Al played center. It was the Martin Luther King game.

There was this aura about Clemente, the way he carried himself, and treated everyone with respect. He was the star but talked to the fans one on one like he knew them.

Last edited:
Back