Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

A reason why baseball is a pain..

Mitchrapp

Northern Michigan Wildcats
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Juan Soto apparently turned down 15yr 440,000,000 offer from Nat's. It's not that he turned it down but the fact teams can offer so much when other teams can't. How can the Tigers compete with that? They can't.

Juan Soto apparently turned down 15yr 440,000,000 offer from Nat's. It's not that he turned it down but the fact teams can offer so much when other teams can't. How can the Tigers compete with that? They can't.

well, that's only $29.33M per year. The Tigers are paying Miggy more than that. Why do you think the Tigers can't compete with that?

That said, I wouldn't want to pay a single player that kind of money. Having one star hitter doesn't guarantee team success.

Eh, player for the Nat's. Obviously.

Why from what you posted would it be obvious that he is currently a player for the Nats?

You said he turned down money from the Nats, you didn?t say he was a current player with the Nats that turned down the money.

well, that's only $29.33M per year. The Tigers are paying Miggy more than that. Why do you think the Tigers can't compete with that?

That said, I wouldn't want to pay a single player that kind of money. Having one star hitter doesn't guarantee team success.

It doesn't matter you think Detroit and other teams can offer 400+m.

Why from what you posted would it be obvious that he is currently a player for the Nats?

You said he turned down money from the Nats, you didn?t say he was a current player with the Nats that turned down the money.

It's the middle of the season. Can't offer anyone a contract at this point in the season unless he's currently on team.

Tiger ownership is clueless how to put a team together. Baseball probably needs a salary cap. Or something.

It's the middle of the season. Can't offer anyone a contract at this point in the season unless he's currently on team.

I don?t know that I believe that.

What if he?s not on any team?

What if he just arrived on a raft from Cuba?

What if he just arrived on a raft from Korea?

What if he/she just arrived from the Island of Misfit toys on an ice plank?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr6GbKciNCY

I?m beginning to wonder if you really think through the shit that you post as fact.

Possible reasons for soto not signing are he doesn't want to play for the nats and prefers a big city name team east or west coast.
Another possibility is half way through the contract that pays 29 to 30 million a year, is the average yearly salary in 2030 might be low compared to what other players are getting in 8 years.
Lastly he is completely caught up in money which has become his God.

IFA (International Free Agents) get bid on. Bit it's changed a few years ago where the max big is 20m. So many teams can bid the 20m, where then the IFA can choose which team it wants to play for. So Shohei Ohtani for example, chose the LAA over the NYY.

I'm not sure about misfit toys, though I'm almost positive they're not allowed.

Possible reasons for soto not signing are he doesn't want to play for the nats and prefers a big city name team east or west coast.
Another possibility is half way through the contract that pays 29 to 30 million a year, is the average yearly salary in 2030 might be low compared to what other players are getting in 8 years.
Lastly he is completely caught up in money which has become his God.

From what I read it seems largely backloaded. But it leads to another problem, how many teams could trade for him and sign him to a large contract like that.. The haves and the have nots.

well, Detroit did it with Miggy (Not $400 but AAV). Look how that turned out.

That was Mr. I. The son won't be handing out 440m. Now Soto will go to the Dodgers or NYY. MLB needs a cut badly. Luxury tax means nothing for some clubs. Its not just Detroit but teams like Pittsburgh they're never compete. You'll have to draft perfectly and play perfectly.

That was Mr. I. The son won't be handing out 440m. Now Soto will go to the Dodgers or NYY. MLB needs a cut badly. Luxury tax means nothing for some clubs. Its not just Detroit but teams like Pittsburgh they're never compete. You'll have to draft perfectly and play perfectly.

I agree that some markets have an advantage when it comes to revenue and how much they can afford to spend...but that's not going to change any time soon...if ever.

I agree that some markets have an advantage when it comes to revenue and how much they can afford to spend...but that's not going to change any time soon...if ever.

I know it bothers me. Didn't someone from the NBA get an extension offered 2 years 62m AAV? That's crazy money, that's monopoly money.

Back