Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Anzalone's Leadership

zyxt9

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/10...lions-prepare-him-for-more-in-the-future.html

I have to say that in terms of play in the beginning of the year I was all for the Lions cutting him, but if he was the best defensive player (yes, that is not really saying much considering the Lions talent on D is so piss poor) last week vs the Rams, maybe the guy is figuring things out.

At a minimum though, this article speaks to why he was named Captain by his teammates.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/10...lions-prepare-him-for-more-in-the-future.html

I have to say that in terms of play in the beginning of the year I was all for the Lions cutting him, but if he was the best defensive player (yes, that is not really saying much considering the Lions talent on D is so piss poor) last week vs the Rams, maybe the guy is figuring things out.

At a minimum though, this article speaks to why he was named Captain by his teammates.

Wish he was as good at being a LB as he seems to be at being a signal caller/leader.

He's been solid the last few weeks. He's a big upgrade over Davis, that's for sure.

When targeting #Lions LB Alex Anzalone in coverage this season:

Weeks 1-2:

9 targets
9 completions
105 yards
1 TD
152.3 passer rating

Weeks 3-7:

12 targets
7 completions
58 yards
0 TDs
1 INT
36.1 passer rating

You?d have a higher passer rating spiking the ball every down.

Anazlone has improved tremendously once Collins left

When targeting #Lions LB Alex Anzalone in coverage this season:

Weeks 1-2:

9 targets
9 completions
105 yards
1 TD
152.3 passer rating

Weeks 3-7:

12 targets
7 completions
58 yards
0 TDs
1 INT
36.1 passer rating

You?d have a higher passer rating spiking the ball every down.

It is certainly possible that he was trying to do his and Collins job which just made things worse. Hopefully he can keep this up all season as that is one more need we won't have to fill.

Thanks for putting those stats together. It would appear from the outside that Anz and Collins had difficulty communicating effectively, whether with each other or in getting the calls out to the entire D. Barnes probably should have started Week 1, but I can understand that him being a rookie there was a bit of a learning curve or trust or something that prevented it. Based on those stats, the QBs are not completely avoiding the LBs, but it is certainly obvious our weaknesses are more in pass rush and DBs.

JRM has been playing well too actually. Not just Barnes.

Still some issues in run D I think.

It is certainly possible that he was trying to do his and Collins job which just made things worse. Hopefully he can keep this up all season as that is one more need we won't have to fill.

Still would need to re-sign Anzalone or JRM. One year deals. Won't be that expensive though. Campbell talks like he will be here more than just this year already

Two WR, Safety especially if Walker leaves so 1 or 2, game changing pass rusher the big needs especially once they cut or trade Flowers plus Harris a FA and Okwara achilles. RG if they cut Vaitai. More DI with Hand and Williams gone but should be set with McNeil, Brocker and Levi starter wise with Penisini backup nose at least so not a huge need. And that was the benefit of using 2021 on Def Interior now not a big need.

ILB they might try with these 3 again if they don't go big in FA and rely more on the draft

Last edited:
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-primer-top-players-at-every-position

PFF put out an article with 2022 FAs, worth a quick read.

Strong O-line and receiving options due up, some good safeties as well.

Would like to see them go after one of those WRs without breaking the bank. Not sure if a down year will impact Allen Robinson?s price tag (though not really his fault), Detroit native, would be a nice pickup.

Still would need to re-sign Anzalone or JRM. One year deals. Won't be that expensive though. Campbell talks like he will be here more than just this year already

Two WR, Safety especially if Walker leaves so 1 or 2, game changing pass rusher the big needs especially once they cut or trade Flowers plus Harris a FA and Okwara achilles. RG if they cut Vaitai. More DI with Hand and Williams gone but should be set with McNeil, Brocker and Levi starter wise with Penisini backup nose at least so not a huge need. And that was the benefit of using 2021 on Def Interior now not a big need.

ILB they might try with these 3 again if they don't go big in FA and rely more on the draft

The more I think about it the more I want to bolster this defense this off-season. I think we need to re-sign Walker and get a good safety to pair with him (Marcus Williams). Then sign a decent vet CB who won't make too much like Kyle Fuller/Isaiah Oliver. Then get yourself the best WR that is willing to sign here in FA.

Then get Thibodeaux, another WR, a LB'er, and maybe a QB if there is someone we like in the draft and I would be very happy. Can even get rid of Goff and sign someone like Newton off the street for cheap for a year. I think this would have the makings of a solid defense and we would still have a top flight O-Line with a good run game. Add in the extra weapons in the pass game and maybe we have an outside shot of a wildcard berth.

I really think we are building very good depth in our CB group and if Okudah can give us anything next year we may have a pretty good group. Parker and Jacobs have struggled some, but also shown a lot of promise. Amani is out of position trying to guard the #1 WR each week, but he has been alright. Thats not even mentioning Melifonwu. Add a solid vet and I would be comfortable with that.

Definitely think JRM, Anzalone, Raymond, and Walker need re-signed too. I am hoping Hand can come back soon and see if he is worth keeping around as he was supposedly lighting up training camp before he got hurt.

Offense is QB, RG, two WRS
Defense anything but interior Dlinemen really in draft. OLB with Thibodeaux and Safety. Resign Harris at OLB in case Romeo not ready. CB and ILB are really nice to haves but agree we got youth at CB, need a vet.

Hand designated from return from IR. He will get his last chance to prove things. But yeah 1 year real cheap deal for him if he does return.

If Tyrod Taylor weren't injured always, I would consider him.

I like Mike Williams with the Chargers connection if we can't get Robinson or Godwin

Last edited:
Offense is QB, RG, two WRS
Defense anything but interior Dlinemen really in draft. OLB with Thibodeaux and Safety. Resign Harris at OLB in case Romeo not ready. CB and ILB are really nice to haves but agree we got youth at CB, need a vet.

Hand designated from return from IR. He will get his last chance to prove things. But yeah 1 year real cheap deal for him if he does return.

If Tyrod Taylor weren't injured always, I would consider him.

I like Mike Williams with the Chargers connection if we can't get Robinson or Godwin

Definitely agree with Mike Williams. My preference is

Chris Godwin
Mike Williams
Allen Robinson (his age is only reason he is this low)
Courtland Sutton
Christian Kirk

I think the top 4 can be #1 guys here, but Kirk is more of a #2. I do like how young Kirk is and his cost will be a lot lower.

Definitely agree with Mike Williams. My preference is

Chris Godwin
Mike Williams
Allen Robinson (his age is only reason he is this low)
Courtland Sutton
Christian Kirk

I think the top 4 can be #1 guys here, but Kirk is more of a #2. I do like how young Kirk is and his cost will be a lot lower.

Agreed. Davante Adams obviously would be great but he isn't coming here and wants top money and is older

Mike Williams, Ty Williams cheap 1 year deal, St. Brown, Round 2 rookie WR, Kalif Raymond re-sign and Cephus. That you can work with for years.

Agreed. Davante Adams obviously would be great but he isn't coming here and wants top money and is older

Mike Williams, Ty Williams cheap 1 year deal, St. Brown, Round 2 rookie WR, Kalif Raymond re-sign and Cephus. That you can work with for years.

Not interested in Ty Williams.

He may not make it back THIS YEAR from a concussion......which means he is always one hit away from being out for the year. I would honestly feel bad for him if he plays football again. Money is important.....but it's not worth much if your brain is the consistency of Nickelodian Slime.

Mike Williams, Rookie, Raymond, Cephus and a 2nd FA signing.....lower tier guy.

Not interested in Ty Williams.

He may not make it back THIS YEAR from a concussion......which means he is always one hit away from being out for the year. I would honestly feel bad for him if he plays football again. Money is important.....but it's not worth much if your brain is the consistency of Nickelodian Slime.

Mike Williams, Rookie, Raymond, Cephus and a 2nd FA signing.....lower tier guy.

Agree would be a risk. Could with another vet. Probably a shifter WR too. Mike Williams and Cephus are Ty Williams basically and Mike is better by far. Cephus potential

Back