Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Best Healthcare "System" on the Planet

Michchamp

I love this fucking country so much...

True story:

4 months ago... Me in hospital with relative - who had employer provided health insurance that cost them ~$70/pay period + 3 times that for their employer contribution - and just had a relatively routine procedure performed.

*Phone in hospital room rings*

Hospital billing: "Hello, the patient's total bill for their hospital stay is $2400. The patient can pay half now, and we'll bill the rest later."

Me: "I guess that's not so bad. I'll take care of the first half. Here's my credit card..."

Hospital billing: "Thank you. Your payment confirmation number is 1-U-R-F-U-C-K-E-D."

1 month later:

- Patient receives separate $1200 bill from doctor
- Patient receives separate $800 bill from anesthesiologist
- Patient receives remaining $1200 bill from hospital

4 months later:

- Patient receives $6,926 bill from hospital for procedure

True story:

4 months ago... Me in hospital with relative - who had employer provided health insurance that cost them ~$70/pay period + 3 times that for their employer contribution - and just had a relatively routine procedure performed.

Hospital billing: "Hello, the patient's total bill for their hospital stay is $2400. The patient can pay half now, and we'll bill the rest later."

Me: "I guess that's not so bad. I'll take care of the first half. Here's my credit card..."

Hospital billing: "Thank you. Your payment confirmation number is 1-U-R-F-U-C-K-E-D."

1 month later:

4 months later:

Yeah, it sounds like you were scammed by a caller who had nothing to do with the hospital, besides maybe having access to some kind of hospital data.

Sorry.

You can?t even piss in a hospital for $2400.

True story:

1 month later:

4 months later:

$70 per month...so I assume that the employer pays $210.

Sounds like they must have a pretty shitty policy. Perhaps your relative selected a cheap option that doesn't cover much.

Cost will continue to sky rocket that's what happens when gubmit tries to make it "Affordable for all" It never is.

Cost will continue to sky rocket that's what happens when gubmit tries to make it "Affordable for all" It never is.

what are they doing in all these countries then?

image2.png

source: OECD Health Expenditure Per Capita (2018)

Not much BANG FOR OUR BUCK though.

Life Expectancy:

564249cf9dd7cc18008c8daa

... and in the US it's dropping.

drug ODs and kids/young adults getting killed in the streets probably bring our life expectancy down quite a bit.

drug ODs and kids/young adults getting killed in the streets probably bring our life expectancy down quite a bit.

obesity and heart disease probably explain most of it. cops hunting down and murdering black people, then not reporting it is probably number 2.

Both are probably more cultural than a failure of our healthcare system, which is by far the best in the world and the reason that wealthy people from all of those countries come to the US and pay cash for life saving care they can't get where they are because it either doesn't exist or is rationed.

Last edited:
https://www.cnn.com/americas/live-news/americans-kidnapped-mexico-03-08-23/index.html

Our healthcare is so bad that a 33 year old mother of six (ages 6-18) needed to go to Mexico to get her medical procedure done. She drove from South Carolina because she was so desperate for her procedure. She took 3 people with her for some unknown reason. Two of them were shot and killed and she never got her very important procedure done.

Very sad story. Our health care system sucks!

Back