Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Best Status unclear

tigermud

Lions reportedly unsure if Best will be able to play again

he sad saga of Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best's attempt to return from a concussion that ended his 2011 doesn't appear to be over.

Best missed most of the season following an Oct. 16 loss to the San Francisco 49ers and was bothered by post-concussion problems the rest of the season. But Best, who also suffered a concussion during the preseason and had a scary head injury while at the University of California, Berkeley, told the Detroit Free Press earlier this month that he's symptom free and "definitely" will be back next season.

The feeling from within the Lions appears to be quite different. Multiple people within the organization are concerned the second-year running back might not play football again, according to MLive.com.

Best had more than 650 total yards with three touchdowns in six games this season. But the Lions' running game struggled after his injury and the loss of rookie second-round pick Mikel LeShoure during the offseason. The Lions finished the season ranked 29th overall in rushing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82666776/article/lions-reportedly-unsure-if-best-will-be-able-to-play-again?module=HP11_headline_stack

Not surprising at all. It was a huge risk drafting him. Even if he does come back he will get another one and his career will be over. The Lions better be making plans for a few new RBs.

Lions running game is in peril.

2 very big IF's in Best and LeShoure.

SLICK said:

And we traded up for both of them instead of focusing on the oline

mhughes0021 said:
SLICK said:

Doohh, some things never change do they. LOL.

A running game consisting of Leshoure, K. Smith, and Best will be solid until about Week 4 next year

TigerMud said:
mhughes0021 said:

said it the day we drafted them that they were mistakes....not my fault i was right lol.

mhughes0021 said:
TigerMud said:

said it the day we drafted them that they were mistakes....not my fault i was right lol.

It's cool. Mr. Ford bookmarks your posts, you might be next in line once he cans Meyhew.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
mhughes0021 said:

It's cool. Mr. Ford bookmarks your posts, you might be next in line once he cans Meyhew.

Ford had millen in charge for how many years? Ford is senial. He would have done much better letting the old espn board full of trolls as GM instead of millen.

mhughes0021 said:
TigerMud said:

clearly you knew leshoure was going to get injured from all of his past injuries.

Trade up. Well Best was still the second pick the Lions took that year. And looking at other players in Round 2, I don't blame Mayhew for gambling on Best. All they gave up was draft position in Round 4 and 7 to move up.

LeShoure, they basically used a 3rd and 4th rounder for him as Titus young was the true 2nd round pick.

Both aren't making that much. So it's not a total lost cause but hopefully one is healthy at least.

dtroitlionsfan951 said:
mhughes0021 said:

clearly you knew leshoure was going to get injured from all of his past injuries.

no, not claiming that at all....just didnt agree with the principle of trading up to grab a rb when the entire right side of your oline cant run block. In best's case though i said he wont last 3 years.

Oh so it wasn't smart for the Lions to take a 2nd RB(in a two back league) using a 3rd and 4th round pick when you also predicted that Best wouldn't last. We haven't seen what LeShoure can do behind this line and Best and Smith did alright (5-0 with Best finishing games and 4.6 average and a receivng weapon) and Kevin Smith did a good enough job down the stretch(4.9 YPC). Raiola and Peterman need replaced and the perfect time is this or next offseason as their contracts get closer to ending, not 2011 offseason.

lionskillpack said:
Trade up. Well Best was still the second pick the Lions took that year. And looking at other players in Round 2, I don't blame Mayhew for gambling on Best. All they gave up was draft position in Round 4 and 7 to move up.

LeShoure, they basically used a 3rd and 4th rounder for him as Titus young was the true 2nd round pick.

Both aren't making that much. So it's not a total lost cause but hopefully one is healthy at least.

when we traded up i was hoping for Patrick Robinson, Roger Saffold or Nate Allen. There were a ton of guys even taken in late round 2 that would have helped this team. Tate and Hardesty would have been better RB options if youre talking strictly that position.

Tate got hurt year 1 and Hardesty is a walking injury. Robinson hasn't done well for the Saints, Saffold got injured this year and Backus performed better than him the past 2 years. Best was clearly BPA over Nate Allen.

lionskillpack said:
Oh so it wasn't smart for the Lions to take a 2nd RB(in a two back league) using a 3rd and 4th round pick when you also predicted that Best wouldn't last. We haven't seen what LeShoure can do behind this line and Best and Smith did alright (5-0 with Best finishing games and 4.6 average and a receivng weapon) and Kevin Smith did a good enough job down the stretch(4.9 YPC). Raiola and Peterman need replaced and the perfect time is this or next offseason as their contracts get closer to ending, not 2011 offseason.

and thats why our leading rusher had 390 yards last year. MM/Schwartz's plan of continuity to improve the run game has failed miserably....its a joke.

No, i dont feel its smart to keep trading up for running backs when AP wouldnt even be able to run behind this line. They had a lot of opportunitu to improve the line the last couple drafts.....saffold was just one example. Orlando Franklin, Ijalana, Wisniewski were a couple others we passed up last year. Its tough to improve the line in FA and trades....in order to completely neglect it since i dont know when in the draft is dumb.

lionskillpack said:
Tate got hurt year 1 and Hardesty is a walking injury. Robinson hasn't done well for the Saints, Saffold got injured this year and Backus performed better than him the past 2 years. Best was clearly BPA over Nate Allen.

Robinson had a great year for the Saints this year. Saffold would have replaced Cherilus in a second and would be a LT in waiting. Both those RBs will have a better career than Best.

390 yards in 5 3/4 games. Kevin Smith did solid when not hurt. And LeShoure was hurt all year. We still haven't seen a full season of this line with 2 healthy talented backs. Interior Oline may be upgraded this offseason though.

Back