Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Booze at the Big House

bphillips4gg

The board of regents voted yesterday to allow sales of alcohol to begin "as soon as possible" this season at both Crisler and Yost. They will vote on whether or not to allow sales at football games at a later date, but it looks like they're likely to begin sales next season.

I've got mixed thoughts on this. For all the cringeworthy shit he did and said, I remember Dave Brandon saying that the AD did not want to sell booze at football games because it's already difficult logistics to manage 110k people and they didn't want to compound it by making the majority of them drunk. I'm sure there's also concern about underage consumption but I feel like there's limited liability there as long as they're not selling to someone underage.

Article also touches on the planned locker room renovations for football and both basketball teams.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...regents-vote-alcohol-renovations/71245727007/

You know underage people are going to drink at these events. Just have an older buddy grab a couple of beers, one goes to the young kid.

You know underage people are going to drink at these events. Just have an older buddy grab a couple of beers, one goes to the young kid.

Right, that's what I was referring to. I don't think that's something that UM would be liable for though. I'd assume the fault in that case would be the person that actually provided the booze to the underage person. It's not like the students aren't hammered when the game starts anyway so while you're possibly making it worse, it's already happening to a degree.

It's a hell of a revenue stream though. I'd imagine that's several million a year they'll be tapping into.

Doesn't move the needle much when it comes to consumption. Not for people like me anyway. I'll have my drinks while I tailgate, but I'm not getting in a line to wait on a $13 beer and missing plays on the field.

Yeah, I remember drinking more during games when I was younger. Maybe because back then they had beer salesmen in the aisles so you didn't have to leave your seat?

I went to an astros game last month, and there were no more walking sales people. Beers were insanely expensive, I guess, and a lot of people don't carry cash. Getting out of your seat to get a beer meant missing most of an inning (especially if you have a child with you and can't rush)

Honestly the increased commercial break time and clock changes this season ruined the in-person game watching experience more than anything alcohol could do.

It was bad enough sitting through a 3:00 commercial break, but worse when only two or maybe three plays go by and the asshole holding the digital clock runs back on the field with another 3:00 showing.

If you told me commercial breaks would be 1/3 shorter but there would be more obnoxious drunk people at the game, I'd take the shorter commercial breaks in a second. No question. The TV networks are now cannibalizing the sport.

Honestly the increased commercial break time and clock changes this season ruined the in-person game watching experience more than anything alcohol could do.

It was bad enough sitting through a 3:00 commercial break, but worse when only two or maybe three plays go by and the asshole holding the digital clock runs back on the field with another 3:00 showing.

If you told me commercial breaks would be 1/3 shorter but there would be more obnoxious drunk people at the game, I'd take the shorter commercial breaks in a second. No question. The TV networks are now cannibalizing the sport.

The running clock change this year is the worst thing they could have done. It's led to less plays and more ad time. The absolute opposite of what every fan wanted.

I don't like going to live sporting events anymore (except for minor league baseball games). I would much rather watch a game in the comfort of my own home.

I don't like going to live sporting events anymore (except for minor league baseball games). I would much rather watch a game in the comfort of my own home.

Same here. I used to have season tickets to the Bengals, went to 20-30 Reds games a year and would attend every CFB and CBB game I could. Now I don't even watch any sports besides Michigan Football and the occasional M hockey game and the thought of actually going to the game sounds awful.

Right, that's what I was referring to. I don't think that's something that UM would be liable for though. I'd assume the fault in that case would be the person that actually provided the booze to the underage person. It's not like the students aren't hammered when the game starts anyway so while you're possibly making it worse, it's already happening to a degree.

It's a hell of a revenue stream though. I'd imagine that's several million a year they'll be tapping into.
Of course. Just don't want more kids get more hammered and maybe cause trouble during or after a game.

Back