Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Brad Holmes

detroit1811

I know this guy has gotten heavily criticized by a lot of guys on here. He has had his fair share of mistakes (Benson trade, Perriman signing), but I for one think he is doing one hell of a job. He scrounged the bottom of the barrel for players as we wanted to make sure we came away with comp picks and just didn't have the cap space. He missed on a couple guys, but also hit on Craig Reynolds, Evan Brown, Charles Harris, Kalif Raymond, Josh Reynolds, and Alex Anzalone relative to what we paid for these guys. He found Amon Ra in the 4th round who has looked like an absolute steal. He found guys like Jerry Jacobs and AJ Parker who have made a pretty significant impact as UDFA's. He even got a guy in Tommy Kraemar as a UDFA who has started a couple games and hasn't embarassed himself.

You call kill him for the Goff trade if you want, but we truly won't know the results of that trade for a couple years yet. All these high draft picks we have are great and all, but Holmes ability to find guys in the middle rounds, UDFA, or the bottom of the free agency heap is what gives me more confidence then anything that we have found the right guy.

If we manage to build a solid competitive team here, the only way to stay competitive without a top tier QB is the ability to find talent later in the draft, UDFA, and cheap FA's. That way you have a lot of cheap contracts on the books and can pay up to keep your top talent. Brad Holmes has shown great promise in that aspect in year 1 and if that continues we may finally be on to something.

I think he also finds players who will have the right mindset to fit into what DC is building.

When a team has a player they feel is a cancer, they are talking about them not fitting in mentally. Holmes, best as I can tell, has avoided that.

Goff has turned into what i thought he could be. Run first offense that puts us in a good position to keep drives going thru Play Action or run calls on 3rd n short. Hes been efficient. And the oline for the most part has played great. The offense could look very different with some play makers on the outside....we simply dont have that on this team (mayyybe Reynolds????).

That said Goff absolutely deserved to get crushed earlier in the year. I dunno if it was the communication break down between him an Lynn. The offense that was installed. Or Goff. But it was brutal for the first half of the year....which shouldnt even take that long to fix unless there are major issues. Hes improved...and he will be the QB next year.

A guy like Sam howell sitting there at the top of rd 2 could be tempting. But i wouldnt do it. Get pieces around Goff and lets see if he can continue to improve....spend the picks on WRs and defense. He will have yet another offense to learn next year.

Holmes...wasnt a fan of his draft. Wasnt a fan of rebuilding with a veteran QB contract. Wasn't a fan of some of the trades like Benson. But it a ling term rebuild....lets see what he does with some of the draft capitol he received.

Last edited:
Goff has turned into what i thought he could be. Run first offense that puts us in a good position to keep drives going thru Play Action or run calls on 3rd n short. Hes been efficient. And the oline for the most part has played great. The offense could look very different with some play makers on the outside....we simply dont have that on this team (mayyybe Reynolds????).

That said Goff absolutely deserved to get crushed earlier in the year. I dunno if it was the communication break down between him an Lynn. The offense that was installed. Or Goff. But it was brutal for the first half of the year....which shouldnt even take that long to fix unless there are major issues. Hes improved...and he will be the QB next year.

A guy like Sam howell sitting there at the top of rd 2 could be tempting. But i wouldnt do it. Get pieces around Goff and lets see if he can continue to improve....spend the picks on WRs and defense. He will have yet another offense to learn next year.

Holmes...wasnt a fan of his draft. Wasnt a fan of rebuilding with a veteran QB contract. Wasn't a fan of some of the trades like Benson. But it a ling term rebuild....lets see what he does with some of the draft capitol he received.

I agree with you completely on Goff. He looked like a joke for half the season and o honestly thought he was beyond repair. Since he has come back from that injury he has been what I thought he could be. Far from elite, but just a solid QB who can make the plays needed to compete in most games. With the roster we currently have that is promising. If we can get healthy, and bring in a couple more talented WRs he may actually look like a very good QB again. I think he has fringe top 10 QB potential with what he has shown lately with the supporting cast currently around him.

As far as a QB, I was very interested in these QBs this year. Goffs play lately has me wanting to wait on a QB. There are a lot of QBs who maybe selected on mid to late day 1 and day 2. I would be willing to wait until our 3rd round pick to see if a guy like Ridder, Howell or Strong drops. At a 3rd round commitment does not mean this QB has to be our future. We need a reliable backup too and why not get someone with some long term potential.

Wow hughes...i was shocked by your endorsement.

Maybe it was just a coincidence as Goff finally became comfortable with the offense, but it does seem his improvement began when DC took over the play calling. It will be interesting to see how that plays out, maybe a new OC will bring out even more improved play next year.

Absolutely grab a QB at some point. Earliest I would like that to happen is R3. I really want those 1st 3 picks to be Edge, WR, LB or Edge, LB, WR. After that, BPA that fills a need.

I'm also thinking a backup QB who is available in FA might be a good option, though the price on QBs this FA will be high, even for the backups.

Goff just needed wrs he can trust and he is getting a little more protection so no weird run backward sacks. Raymond, Hodge, Kennedy, Benson werent cutting it. Williams got hurt

Wish they had Reynolds all year

Oh well take these high picks in every round and build a damn good roster. And then double 1sts again in 2023

Wow hughes...i was shocked by your endorsement.

Maybe it was just a coincidence as Goff finally became comfortable with the offense, but it does seem his improvement began when DC took over the play calling. It will be interesting to see how that plays out, maybe a new OC will bring out even more improved play next year.

Absolutely grab a QB at some point. Earliest I would like that to happen is R3. I really want those 1st 3 picks to be Edge, WR, LB or Edge, LB, WR. After that, BPA that fills a need.

I'm also thinking a backup QB who is available in FA might be a good option, though the price on QBs this FA will be high, even for the backups.

I wouldnt neccesarily call it an endorsement lol. But he has improved and what it comes down to is we have too many holes to use an early pick on a QB when that QB will more than likely be the back up for atleast year 1. Keep goff....fill your holes like a tijuana hooker.

One of those QBs you like falls to rd 3....sure pick him up as a back up you can potentially groom.

Last edited:
I wouldnt neccesarily call it an endorsement lol. But he has improved and what it comes down to is we have too many holes to use an early pick on a QB when that QB will more than likely be the back up for atleast year 1. Keep goff....fill your holes like a tijuana hooker.

One of those QBs you like falls to rd 3....sure pick him up as a back up you can potentially groom.

Besides Pickett, there isn't a QB coming out that I would consider a guarantee to be better than Goff.

I certainly wouldn't have said that 4 weeks ago.

That being said, I do think we need to spend either some draft capital or some FA $$$'s on a potential good backup. So tired of having guys like Boyle or Blough as our only options.

What would be a VERY Lionesque thing to do is to come out on fire next year. Things are clicking. We start 5-2 or something like that and then Goff goes down and all we have is David Blough as a backup option.

I'm all for giving Goff another chance......but I wouldn't mind at all if we signed Gardner Minshew to a 3-4 year deal that was really cheap year 1. Let him and JG fight it out and the other can be the backup.

Last edited:
Back