Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

BYU @ Navy

I’m just not into football. Hopefully the big ten will figure something out. I just have no interest right now. Looks like I didn’t miss much.

at this point they KNOW that playing football - esp. in front of fans - will lead to massive outbreaks among everyone involved, and shortly thereafter, everyone those people live with.

they just: 1) are greedy assholes who don't care as long as they make money, and 2) the outbreaks will be 2-3 weeks after games and in America these days, what happened 2-3 weeks ago is ancient history.

at this point they KNOW that playing football - esp. in front of fans - will lead to massive outbreaks among everyone involved, and shortly thereafter, everyone those people live with.

they just: 1) are greedy assholes who don't care as long as they make money, and 2) the outbreaks will be 2-3 weeks after games and in America these days, what happened 2-3 weeks ago is ancient history.

No one is talking about playing college football in front of fans. Three of Power Five Conferences are going to commence without fans. Week 1 went off without fans.

Why would you make an issue out of an issue that isn?t an issue at all?

Pro sports around the world have been going on for months without fans, and here in the US about a month without fans. The NBA, NHL and MLB seasons are all on their way to being completed, contrary to the dire predictions of many.

Also, did you actually even read the article linked to? The petitioners aren?t in line to make any money off of the B1G playing football ? the people they petitioned are.

They are legitimately concerned about the values of athletic scholarships in the region within which they live and represent vis-?-vis the other conferences who are going to go forward with the football season - and they are absolutely right.

The SEC, ACC, and Big 12 are going to have successful and relatively unproblematic seasons, and the B1G is going to suffer in the long run.

No one is talking about playing college football in front of fans. Three of Power Five Conferences are going to commence without fans. Week 1 went off without fans.

Why would you make an issue out of an issue that isn?t an issue at all?

Pro sports around the world have been going on for months without fans, and here in the US about a month without fans. The NBA, NHL and MLB seasons are all on their way to being completed, contrary to the dire predictions of many.

Also, did you actually even read the article linked to? The petitioners aren?t in line to make any money off of the B1G playing football ? the people they petitioned are.

They are legitimately concerned about the values of athletic scholarships in the region within which they live and represent vis-?-vis the other conferences who are going to go forward with the football season - and they are absolutely right.

The SEC, ACC, and Big 12 are going to have successful and relatively unproblematic seasons, and the B1G is going to suffer in the long run.

Well said

Why would you make an issue out of an issue that isn’t an issue at all?

because I'm just a guy who hates college football and wants it to go away, even though it's a great game, and not a hugely exploitative grift transferring wealth to real estate developers, coaches and administrators.

anyways...

this is bad, buried in an otherwise optimistic article:
Asked about why children were being asked to wear masks in schools despite the relative low risk of serious COVID_19 infections, DeWine said the risk of associated illnesses was also a concern. DeWine said Ohio State reported “several weeks ago” that 13 percent of athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 also showed some kind of heart issue.​

Just a little myocarditis... who gives a shit? human life pales in comparison to making money and entertaining brainless football fans.

right?

Last edited by a moderator:
because I'm just a guy who hates college football and wants it to go away, even though it's a great game, and not a hugely exploitative grift transferring wealth to real estate developers, coaches and administrators.

anyways...

this is bad, buried in an otherwise optimistic article:
Asked about why children were being asked to wear masks in schools despite the relative low risk of serious COVID_19 infections, DeWine said the risk of associated illnesses was also a concern. DeWine said Ohio State reported “several weeks ago” that 13 percent of athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 also showed some kind of heart issue.

Just a little myocarditis... who gives a shit? human life pales in comparison to making money and entertaining brainless football fans

right?

I haven’t heard anything about Ohio State’s medical staff findings.

The myocarditis data from a PSU doctor that has been in the news has been shown to be incorrect.

I have a novel idea – if a person has a concussion, they can’t play until they’re cleared to play.

There are a lot of conditions that disallow a player to be cleared to play.

Before COVID-19 came along, there were probably people who had myocarditis who were not cleared to play – obviously I’m speculating but I’m pretty sure I’m right.

So why would it be any different for a person who has myocarditis now-regardless of whether it was result of COVID-19 or not?

Last edited:

The myocarditis data from a PSU doctor that has been in the news has been shown to be incorrect.

I have a novel idea ? if a person has a concussion, they can?t play until they?re cleared to play.

There are a lot of conditions that disallow a player to be cleared to play.

Before COVID-19 came along, there were probably people who had myocarditis who were not cleared to play ? obviously I?m speculating but I?m pretty sure I?m right.

So why would it be any different for a person who has myocarditis now-regardless of whether it was result of COVID-19 or not?

"shown to be incorrect" just meant 15% of people who tested positive developed myocarditis instead of the 35% number he initially claimed.

I don't see it as worth the risk. I don't see any of this as worth the risk... we still don't know enough about what this does to the body to make informed decisions, and given that this is a situation where a bunch of adults are forcing kids to bear the risk - for no money... so the adults get paid a lot of money - it's pretty gross to me.

"shown to be incorrect" just meant 15% of people who tested positive developed myocarditis instead of the 35% number he initially claimed.

I don't see it as worth the risk. I don't see any of this as worth the risk... we still don't know enough about what this does to the body to make informed decisions, and given that this is a situation where a bunch of adults are forcing kids to bear the risk - for no money... so the adults get paid a lot of money - it's pretty gross to me.

Okay.

Football is not an in inherently risk averse activity - it already wasn?t before the Covid.

We do know plenty about what football does to the body - generally, it tends to fuck the body up.

The football players this year want to play football - just like they do every year.

Every player has an opt out option.

The players are playing for a scholarship and the establishment of a valuable business brand at the least; obviously, some will get a shot at the lucrative NFL.

The college football season will be a success for the participants.

It will be a colossal failure for those who stayed on the sidelines.

Okay.

Football is not an in inherently risk averse activity - it already wasn?t before the Covid.

We do know plenty about what football does to the body - generally, it tends to fuck the body up.

The football players this year want to play football - just like they do every year.

Every player has an opt out option.

The players are playing for a scholarship and the establishment of a valuable business brand at the least; obviously, some will get a shot at the lucrative NFL.

The college football season will be a success for the participants.

It will be a colossal failure for those who stayed on the sidelines.

Yeah, the actual risks aren't actually known though, and if the ones bearing the risk suffer, they're not going to get compensated for it.

and it's still gross in general, seeing adults (typically dumb ones) telling 18-22 year olds to go play football for peanuts so they can make high six- or seven salaries to do a job almost anyone could do.

Yeah, the actual risks aren't actually known though, and if the ones bearing the risk suffer, they're not going to get compensated for it.

and it's still gross in general, seeing adults (typically dumb ones) telling 18-22 year olds to go play football for peanuts so they can make high six- or seven salaries to do a job almost anyone could do.

The risks of CTE weren?t known for a long time either.

A lot of people are beginning to think that football is too dangerous of a game to continue to be played.

That?s a reasonable discussion.

Maybe the B1G should just drop football.

Maybe the University of Michigan should just drop football.

It?s never going to be safe.

There are possibly other dangers in football besides Covid that we don?t know about.

Of the dangers involved in playing football, Covid is going to be shown to be way low on the list.

This is what the science bears out.

And the B1G is going suffer for it.

I guess Wisconsin isn't ready for football! Doesn't Barry Alvarez know this whole thing is much ado about nothing?

Bad time for Ryan Day to start publicly whining his team wants to play so they can win another national championship with their semi-professional roster..

Back