Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Carson Wentz

It's only a great deal if Goff ends up being a good QB for the Lions over the next 4 years. If that happens, then it's a HR

Because they were giving up future assets. Like mentioned before a future first is at best worth the 32nd pick in the draft. For arguments sake lets reference the trade chart.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

That pick is worth 590 points. So even assuming that the pick two years from now is still worth the same that is 1180 points, Carolina's pick is worth 1400 points. The 3rd the Rams threw in is worth at additional 150 points. That puts you at 1330 points without mentioning the 5th they threw in(39 points). That is 110 points short of value which equates to a late 3rd. They had to go above the Panthers offer and throw something is that really interested Holmes which was Goff. Using Wentz as the example for value, it was like they threw in an extra conditional 2nd to put them over the top for Carolina's offer. Plus the fact that they had to wait to truly receiver the value with it being future 1st rounders.

So by using your point method you proved Goff is worth nothing.

So by using your point method you proved Goff is worth nothing.

Goff pushed the Rams offer over the top. What that value was to the Lions I don't know.

Regardless you once again are dancing around what I said.

It's only a great deal if Goff ends up being a good QB for the Lions over the next 4 years. If that happens, then it's a HR

Most of the posters were expecting a 1st at best. Quite a few said no way the Panthers or Broncos would offer their first. I would say two 1sts and a 3rd are more then most expected and is a very good deal. Goff working out would definitely make it the best trade in franchise history.

Cap hits

Wentz

2021 25mil
2022 22mil
2023 25mil
2024 26mil

Goff

2021 28mil
2022 25mil
2023 25mil
2024 26mil

Goff is owed 6mil more then Wentz over the course of 4 years. Goff and Wentz guarantees mean nothing this year as both were acquired to be on the roster in 2021. The only significant difference, which you are correct, is Wentz has an out for 0 dead cap in 2022. Goff would require a 15.5mil dead cap hit if cut in 2022. He has an ourt after 2023.

If you really think 15.5mil in potential dead money in 2022 is the reason why the Rams threw in an extra first for Goff, but Wentz is worth a 3rd and 2nd with a potential to be a 1st thats nuts.

I believe the Reason the Rams threw in the extra 1st was so they could get rid of Goff...they were desperate because the head coach was done with him.

If someone offered the Lions a 2021 3rd and the same conditional 2nd (possible 1st) for Goff right now, would you take it?

Most of the posters were expecting a 1st at best. Quite a few said no way the Panthers or Broncos would offer their first. I would say two 1sts and a 3rd are more then most expected and is a very good deal. Goff working out would definitely make it the best trade in franchise history.

I agree. Even if they only get depth or average at best talent for the picks...if Goff works out it will be the best trade in franchise history. If Goff isn't on the team in 2023, they better hit it out of the park on all 3 picks.

Goff pushed the Rams offer over the top. What that value was to the Lions I don't know.

Regardless you once again are dancing around what I said.

Im just trying to break down what youre saying. Youre saying there was a market for Goff. Youre saying it should be close to what Wentz got....2 picks (1 future).

So youre saying Stafford was really worth 5 picks and we only ended up with 3 picks cause Goff is worth so much?

I hope you realize how nuts that sounds lol.

Or you can realize the truth that Goff was worth more to the Rams by being gone, he had no market, and the pot got sweetened by taking him off their hands so they could fit in a qb they wanted.

The better argument is what do the Eagles do at 6? Do they get help for Hurts who they just benched lol. Or do they pick a QB?

$33.8 million dead-money cap. That is a lot. By comparison Goff much better dead-money.

The better argument is what do the Eagles do at 6? Do they get help for Hurts who they just benched lol. Or do they pick a QB?

Some things I read says Hurts is the guy but his rook season says they better select a QB at 6.

the story of these two trades won't be over for a while. What if the Eagles take a QB that ends up being great, Goff stinks, and the Lions are sitting starting over again in 2023. On the other hand, Goff could end up being a good starter for the next 8 years and the new management team are considered the greatest of all time!

the story of these two trades won't be over for a while. What if the Eagles take a QB that ends up being great, Goff stinks, and the Lions are sitting starting over again in 2023. On the other hand, Goff could end up being a good starter for the next 8 years and the new management team are considered the greatest of all time!

Lol.

Whatever, we'll never know how much was Goff and how much Stafford

I do know we have 3 picks and a QB with potential and experience and that is awesome to have all of that.

Holmes has to draft well regardless and he has margin for mess ups now. Even if he hits on only Round 1 2021, Round 3 2021, Round 3 2021, one of the Round 1 2022, Round 2 2022, one Round 1 2023, Round 3 2022 (whiffing Round 2 2021, one Round 1 2022, one Round 1 2023, Round 3 2022, Round 2 2023). Even with 5 high whiffs, the team is much better with 7 early hits. Day 3 wildcards too. FA. Goff wildcard. Hock, Swift, Decker, Ragnow, Okudah, Jackson to build around, maybe Flowers and J Okwara too. Plus 7 hits plus FA. Team is much better even with a bunch of whiffs due to 3 extra picks. Plus potential better schemes

Last edited:
Back