Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Coleman is Gone

detroit1811

Lions released CB Justin Coleman.
A favorite of ex-coach Matt Patricia, Coleman lasted two years into a ?five-year, $36 million? deal. He missed five games last season with a hamstring injury and also spent time on the COVID list. Coleman is a slot corner only and turns 28 later this month. He was set to count over $11 million against the cap. If he?s designated a pre-June 1 cut, Detroit saves over $4.9 million in cap space while absorbing over $6 million in dead money.

more holes on the defense. Team is going to be so bad lol.

Ohhhhh noooo we replaced an expensive man who can’t cover anyone possibly with a cheap man who can’t cover anyone. We will be so much worse than the worst lions defense in the history of our franchise now. Who could we possibly replace these terrible defenders with? (Also of course we’re going to be terrible next year.)

Last edited:
If im doing math right i think our adjusted salary cap with rollover is 197ish. Subtract his 11 mil but add back in his dead cap i think we have like 13 mil in cap space. Projected we will need 8.7 mil for rookies according to sportrac. Aka not much room after all these cuts even after decision not to tag Golladay.

We can cut Nick Williams as well. Also can restructure some other guys if we want to. We aren't too cash strapped going into the following season and we can cut a few players and really make some decent cap space so back loading deals are a possibility too.

14 mil. Could be more if make coleman june 1 cut
Williams
Shelton
Jessie James
Dahl
Chase daniel

Way more space to come

June 1st cut for coleman..clears 9 million space on june 2

Last edited:
Add CB to the list of potential picks at #7. Not so sure how sold the new GM will be that Amani is a starting calibur CB. Theyve talked about this "build from the outside in" strategy. Welp, we have nothing on the outside or inside lol.

Personally, id like to see LB or Edge addressed before CB again. Wr im not too excited about at #7. Id be fine with OT since i think the rie side of our line is still a glaring weakness. But if it had to be CB youd think its Surtain or Farley. Im not a huge Farley fan. Upside being i think Amani could be good in the slot.

1 qb, 1 power rb, 2 dts coming once cuts made, 3 lbs, 2 wrs, 1 te if james cut, One backup tackle and center/guard, 2 cbs, 2 de, 2 safeties, long snapper, returner, kicker

See what they do in free agency before talking draft..also not every player starting or backup needs to be a superstar. But we do need about 2 to 3 game changers anywhere

Last edited:
Add CB to the list of potential picks at #7. Not so sure how sold the new GM will be that Amani is a starting calibur CB. Theyve talked about this "build from the outside in" strategy. Welp, we have nothing on the outside or inside lol.

Personally, id like to see LB or Edge addressed before CB again. Wr im not too excited about at #7. Id be fine with OT since i think the rie side of our line is still a glaring weakness. But if it had to be CB youd think its Surtain or Farley. Im not a huge Farley fan. Upside being i think Amani could be good in the slot.

I agree Wr are growing on trees this off season. I really don?t want wr at the 7 spot. We can fill that position later in the draft or in a free agency.

1 qb, 1 power rb, 2 dts coming once cuts made, 3 lbs, 2 wrs, 1 te if james cut, One backup tackle and center/guard, 2 cbs, 2 de, 2 safeties, long snapper, returner, kicker

See what they do in free agency before talking draft..also not every player starting or backup needs to be a superstar. But we do need about 2 to 3 game changers anywhere

Anyone wana take bets on Troy Hill being a lion?

I don?t like the idea of adding a CB early. If Amani keeps developing into a solid CB and Okudah takes the next step then you could be dealing with paying big money to 3 CBs in a few years and having to let one of them walk. I think it makes more sense financially to sign a vet to a 2-3 year deal now. We have our young guys at CB already and they should be given the chance to shine in 2021.

Would rather have any of the top 3 WRs, Pitts, or Parsons.

Anyone wana take bets on Troy Hill being a lion?

Honestly he fits in perfectly. He would be a nice 2-3 year addition as guys in the slot can play well into their early 30?s. Nickel Robey Coleman is also another option who would be younger and cheaper. Holmes has a lot of success finding quality pieces in the secondary in the mid to late rounds or UDFA?s and I really hope he continues going that route at least for this draft.

I think by the end of the 2022 offseason I want a game changer on every level of that defense. Players like Glover Quinn can reshape an entire secondary. I think John Johnson could be that guy if they decided to go that route. I also think Parsons can too. When Suh was here it didn?t matter who else was playing with him on that D line they were always a good to great unit when Suh was here. We need to find those guys to anchor down each unit.

We also really need a guy on offense that scares the other team. We don?t have anyone like that and even if we brought back Golladay, I don?t think he was that either. I do think both Chase and Waddle would be that type of player though.

We also really need a guy on offense that scares the other team. We don?t have anyone like that and even if we brought back Golladay, I don?t think he was that either. I do think both Chase and Waddle would be that type of player though.

I've been saying that for 4 or 5 years now. I don't understand the thought process behind NOT having a guy on your team that scares teams. I know that speed doesn't mean you're a great, or even good, WR......but it makes defenses be accountable for where you are.

John Ross. Marquis Goodwin. Desean Jackson. All guys that are available....and Ross or Goodwin would be cheap. In a pass happy league, you can't have teams not worry about the deep 2/3 of the field. If Goff is more of an underneath, catch and run QB.....we better open that first 1/3 of the field up so he has space. If we run Cephus, Hock and some other 4.7 guys out there it's going to clog the field and make Goff throw thru REALLY tight windows.....something I'm not sure he can do.

Back