Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

During the Golden Era, He Lit a Match Under Their Ass

Huh.

Sounds like a lot of more recent comedians (thinking of ones like John Stewart and Stephen Colbert) owe him.

I am surprised I'd never heard of him before this...

Mort Sahl was a comedian who made my dad laugh out loud and I was too young to know why.

he was roasting Kennedy and Nixon in the early '60s and he just died?

What has he been doing for the last ~60 years?

My Mom couldn't say enough good things about Mort Sahl. Rest in peace.

he was roasting Kennedy and Nixon in the early '60s and he just died?

What has he been doing for the last ~60 years?

I don?t know - slowly dying, I guess?

I was out in Palm Springs maybe 25 years ago or so and he was being billed for doing an act there.
I used to hear him from time to time on the radio around then. I can?t I find the quote online, but he used to like to tell the story of he was out to dinner at the same place Nixon was once, and Nixon invited him over to the table and bought him a cocktail or something, and said ?I hear Will Rogers job is open, (Rogers had recently died in a plane crash), and you?re up for it. Just make sure you keep the same match lit under Jack?s ass as you do mine.?

What were doing out in Palm Springs?

I don't really know much about Palm Springs (is there a resort there or something?)

Seems like a place people from LA go every once and a while, and mention it o

What were doing out in Palm Springs?

I don't really know much about Palm Springs (is there a resort there or something?)

Seems like a place people from LA go every once and a while, and mention it o

I was there on business that weekend.

I?m pretty sure you know that there are a few resorts in Palm Springs.

And true, I don?t mention going to Palm Springs very much. I don?t really go there very much.

I know it was in the context of this discussion, but I think people from LA just kinda like mentioning places like "Palm Springs" because it's a reminder they live in a warm climate that has palm trees.

You never really hear people from LA tell you about when they go to parts of Southern California with more mundane names, like Hemet, Riverside, or Bakersfield (though that may be more Central CA)

anyways, is Palm Springs nice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it was in the context of this discussion, but I think people from LA just kinda like mentioning places like "Palm Springs" because it's a reminder they live in a warm climate that has palm trees.

You never really hear people from LA tell you about when they go to parts of Southern California with more mundane names, like Hemet, Riverside, or Bakersfield (though that may be more Central CA)

anyways, is Palm Springs nice?

Well nobody wants to hear about those places. I mean people of heard those names but I understand you?re not there and warm sunny Southern California but they are sort of ?basic.?

So yes anyway Palm Springs is pretty nice.

Vegas is another place for people from Los Angeles like to talk about going to. Santa Barbara, San Francisco, those are other places people like to talk about. Tahoe that?s another one. Pebble beach with another one.

Well nobody wants to hear about those places. I mean people of heard those names but I understand you?re not there and warm sunny Southern California but they are sort of ?basic.?

So yes anyway Palm Springs is pretty nice.

Vegas is another place for people from Los Angeles like to talk about going to. Santa Barbara, San Francisco, those are other places people like to talk about. Tahoe that?s another one. Pebble beach with another one.

Yeah, I've heard all those places mentioned by people from LA.

If I ever meet someone from LA who tells me they just got back from Riverside, or were in Hemet one time, I'll send you a text and be like "Get a load of this guy! Who cares you been to Hemet and Riverside."

Yeah, I've heard all those places mentioned by people from LA.

If I ever meet someone from LA who tells me they just got back from Riverside, or were in Hemet one time, I'll send you a text and be like "Get a load of this guy! Who cares you been to Hemet and Riverside."

I know right?

In Michigan people want to know if you?ve been to any of the cool places in Detroit, like Greektown or downtown by the sports complexes, or the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, or Travers Bay or Mackinac Island or Sault Ste. Marie - or Little Traverse Bay-or even maybe Ann Arbor, I guess.

Nobody wants to know if you?ve been to Merrell or Saginaw.

Back