Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Eagles Salary Cap Gymnastics

detroit1811

I was honestly thinking the Eagles could be in position to try to move up the draft order as they really need a dominant pass rusher and I could see them being interested in Thibs or Hutch. They are a very young team with a rookie QB contract and are playing pretty well so thought they could afford to give up their extra picks for that missing piece. In looking into their cap situation I noticed something that I don?t think I?ve ever seen before.

They have so many guys they have re-signed where they have pushed tons of cap space into future voidable years. Now I have seen this done before on a few players, but never at this scale. They have over 16mil in dead cap space committed to players in 2026. About 30mil in dead space in 2025, another 27mil in 2024, another 27mil in 2023, and another 18mil in 2022. Thats a total of almost 120mil in cap space that is committed to future seasons. That to me is a crazy amount

The salary cap is expected to take a big jump in 2023 and continue that way season after season for a long time because of these new tv deals. The old TV deals were worth 4.4 billion a year. The new deal they signed are worth 10 billin a year. The cap was jumping over 10mil every season under the old deal. The cap jumping 20mil+ a year, starting in 2023 would not be surprising. The cap is likely to be sitting at around 230mil in 2023 and 250mil by 2024. I think that is a big reason why a team like the Eagles are pushing so much dead money into the future. Teams know this is inevitable and I think you will see teams push more money into the future this off-season just like we saw this past off-season.

I personally would not be surprised to see Trey Flowers made a June 1st cut and players we sign have very low year 1 cap numbers to maximize our ability to add talent this season. Not saying that is neccesarily the right move to make in the Lions current state, but it is certainly possible.

Back