Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Effin Hell...Covid 19/20 Could Finally be the Doyers Year

Dodgers are adept at winning WSs in abbreviated seasons, so you could be right.

I think the champion of this season is as legit as any other. I suppose I will be rooting for LA...never really liked the Rays too much.

I think the champion of this season is as legit as any other. I suppose I will be rooting for LA...never really liked the Rays too much.

With 102 fewer regular-season games played? I disagree. The season I was referring to was 1981, where the Reds and Cardinals had the best overall WPs in the NL and were not in the post season. And the Royals, with a .485 WP overall, made the post season over SEVEN AL teams with higher WPs, including the Tigers, one of only three AL teams to win 60 games that year.

Last edited:
With 102 fewer regular-season games played? I disagree. The season I was referring to was 1981, where the Reds and Cardinals had the best overall WPs in the NL and were not in the post season. And the Royals, with a .485 WP overall, made the post season over SEVEN AL teams with higher WPs, including the Tigers, one of only three AL teams to win 60 games that year.

Well, this season was as legitimate as it could have been.

I would say that the season that was had was infinitely better than having no season would have been.

Even freaking Bill Maher said Friday that he was glad that baseball is back.

That?s saying something.

Well, this season was as legitimate as it could have been.

masterly spoken.

I would say that the season that was had was infinitely better than having no season would have been.

My issue with ?that? season is that it was split and not continuous.

Even freaking Bill Maher said Friday that he was glad that baseball is back.

That?s saying something.

Who?

masterly spoken.

My issue with ?that? season is that it was split and not continuous.

Who?

Sorry for the delayed response.

1 Thank you

2. I vaguely remember that season - labor dispute, I think. In 1972 or 73, the Tigers won the East division in another strike shortened season.

3. I am pretty sure you know who Bill Maher is, but it would take zero persuasion to convince me that you don?t care what he says about anything.

So the Dodgers have won it, and the championship is as legitimate as it can possibly be in the year that this has been. Strike shortened seasons and WWII seasons have also been different from the norm.

This is I think the Dodgers eight consecutive division championship, and most were projecting them before the Covid hit to win this eighth title in a row.

Looking at all of the teams that qualified for the postseason, none sticks out to me as one that would have been a surprise had that team qualified in a 162 game season.

In a parallel universe where the Covid didn?t happen this season, it does seem at least likely that the Dodgers would have made the postseason again.

All the teams played the same short season with the same rule changes as all the other teams. No one had an advantage or a disadvantage over anybody else in that regard.

That said, it seems to me that this postseason is as legitimate as any other - there were some differences in this postseason but all participants were subjected to them; there was also an additional round.

Who ever would have won, I would have said their fans would be justified in viewing this championship as legitimate as any other, and I would have said their fans would be justified to not care if anyone disagreed.

Personally, the return of baseball was like a magical elixir to my psych, which has been damaged to the same degree as everybody else?s has.

I was going to add Sirius XM radio to my car so I could listen to Jim and Dan called the Tigers game, but then I gave it a shot and I realized I could tune in on my handheld app without it interfering with the apps that I use for my business.

Once I did that, I listened to two baseball games a day most days - first the Tigers then the Dodgers.

The Tiger?s season was the same for me an any other Tigers fan.

In a parallel universe in which for some mystical reason the Tigers had one at all this year, I would have viewed that title as legitimate as any other title.

Anyway, most baseball fans I know are pretty satisfied with the season as it was, and I ain?t gonna lie - I ain?t feeling too bad about the outcome of the season myself, for the team of my adopted hometown, which came here so long ago from my mom?s hometown.

I think that Kevin Cash earned a partial winners’ share of the Dodgers’ WS bonus money.

I think that Kevin Cash earned a partial winners? share of the Dodgers? WS bonus money.

Maybe.

Rodney Peete and a guy Fred Roggin who is originally from Detroit - he mostly works local Los Angeles media but he does NBC national Olympics sometimes - have a radio show here in LA, they seemed to be indicating that Cash and I guess the GM are big saber people.

Last night as the game was beginning and the pitcher ? I forget his name I know he won the Cy Young a few years ago - Dodger radio color analyst Rick Monday said that hitters hit .140 against the guy the first time through, and by the third time through hitters are well over .300.

So who knows - maybe the Dodgers were due to get to the guy if he had stayed in.

Maybe.

Rodney Peete and a guy Fred Roggin who is originally from Detroit - he mostly works local Los Angeles media but he does NBC national Olympics sometimes - have a radio show here in LA, they seemed to be indicating that Cash and I guess the GM are big saber people.

Last night as the game was beginning and the pitcher – I forget his name I know he won the Cy Young a few years ago - Dodger radio color analyst Rick Monday said that hitters hit .140 against the guy the first time through, and by the third time through hitters are well over .300.

So who knows - maybe the Dodgers were due to get to the guy if he had stayed in.

TTO ( Times Through Lineup) Blake Snell, 2020
1st: BAVG .140 wOBA .221 BF 99
2nd: BAVG .307 wOBA .407 BF 81
3rd: BAVG .304 wOBA .379 BF 23

I actually looked this up this morning. Seems that, according to the “metrics”, Cash waited way too long to remove Snell. Or, he failed to account for that he was in cruise control. Cash called the decision “tough” when Snell’s longest outing this season was 5.2 innings and you have to go back to July of 2019 to find an outing where he went more than 6. This decision was made before the game even started.

wOBA is key here, as it accounts for run value and how well players contribute to run scoring, and, conversely, how well pitchers prevent it. Anderson had given up 10 runs in the post season in 20 innings. I’m no sabermetrician, but that’s not effective relief pitching. So, I wonder how Cash used advanced stats to bring in Anderson.

Last edited:
TTO ( Times Through Lineup) Blake Snell, 2020
1st: BAVG .140 wOBA .221 BF 99
2nd: BAVG .307 wOBA .407 BF 81
3rd: BAVG .304 wOBA .379 BF 23

I actually looked this up this morning. Seems that, according to the ?metrics?, Cash waited way too long to remove Snell. Or, he failed to account for that he was in cruise control. Cash called the decision ?tough? when Snell?s longest outing this season was 5.2 innings and you have to go back to July of 2019 to find an outing where he went more than 6. This decision was made before the game even started.

wOBA is key here, as it accounts for run value and how well players contribute to run scoring, and, conversely, how well pitchers prevent it. Anderson had given up 10 runs in the post season in 20 innings. I?m no sabermetrician, but that?s not effective relief pitching. So, I wonder how Cash used advanced stats to bring in Anderson.

I heard the same thing about Snell not going deep into games. This could be by design to keep the pitchers healthy (no Rays pitcher consistently go deep into games)

Game 6 of the WS should be different. The guy isn't going to pitch again until next season.

Also, the manager talked about how great the reliever he brought in has been over the past 2 seasons (which stats show he has been). However, I think I heard he allowed at least one run in 7 straight games.

That's a problem with sticking with your analytics at all times...sometimes you have to think for yourself a little bit.

Back