Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

End of a frustrating basketball season.

gotime909

Couple quick thoughts.

1. Max Christie is a 4 year player

2. Izzo better bring in 2 post transfers.

Going into next year the backcourt looks great, but there isn't a single guy on this roster that is a legit post threat on offense. Marble is a solid backup at best. If Mady couldn't get minutes on this roster he might as well transfer out.

Can?t be upset with our effort today, they played their butts off but the defense could not contain anybody off the dribble it seemed and the offense completely shit the bed late when we needed it the most. Didn?t love our lineups late in the game either. Need 3s so we sub Walker for Hoggard?

Totally agree on Christie. He was my whipping boy the last couple months, he needs to get drastically better. Also agree on the big men, it?s clear we have no offensive game from Marble to be relied on and Sissoko has never done anything to really wow me yet, also won?t be shocked if he left.

Couple quick thoughts.

1. Max Christie is a 4 year player

2. Izzo better bring in 2 post transfers.

Going into next year the backcourt looks great, but there isn't a single guy on this roster that is a legit post threat on offense. Marble is a solid backup at best. If Mady couldn't get minutes on this roster he might as well transfer out.

Christie is fine. He?ll develop and be a force?.maybe even next year.

Izzo should get a lot of the blame today. The change in offensive philosophy from up tempo to slow down, half court when we got up 5 with 4 minutes left completely changed the game. Took away ALL the momentum we had just created. There was way too much time remaining in the game to do that. The rest of the game was a collection of bad shots with the shot clock winding down. Houser off balance 3. Hoggard driving into Williams.

Sometimes even HOF?ers make bad decisions

Good game, though.

Christie is fine. He?ll develop and be a force?.maybe even next year.

Izzo should get a lot of the blame today. The change in offensive philosophy from up tempo to slow down, half court when we got up 5 with 4 minutes left completely changed the game. Took away ALL the momentum we had just created. There was way too much time remaining in the game to do that. The rest of the game was a collection of bad shots with the shot clock winding down. Houser off balance 3. Hoggard driving into Williams.

Sometimes even HOF?ers make bad decisions

Good game, though.

He could take a step, but outside of the first michigan game I have really seen it.

Also, seeing on Twitter that Gabe Brown is coming back for another year. I was kinda hoping all the seniors were moving on.

Last edited:
He could take a step, but outside of the first michigan game I have really seen it.

Also, seeing on Twitter that Gabe Brown is coming back for another year. I was kinda hoping all the seniors were moving on.

Christie has one of the best mid range games I?ve seen in a freshman in a while. He has a willingness to take it to the hole, but isn?t a particularly good finisher. That will come.

He has a complete 2 guard or SF game.

He?s going to be a VERY good player.

19 Msu fouls to 12 Duke fouls. Ok I?m watching the game with my wife the Msu fan rooting like hell to end coach K?s Career, and I get that most nights the other team is going to get more fouls called on them then Duke. But this game was real physical with both sides having beefs on calls that should been and 1 and fouls. But the 3 ticky tack fouls down the stretch on Msu seemed counter to how the game was being called all game. I thought Msu played a great game. Maybe the last three minutes maybe keep pushing. Heck idk.
Thought Msu had them up 70-65. I really like Christie he is a really great player.

I didn?t watch. heard updates during the game on the radio. Was hoping the Spartans would win.

"Frustrating End of a Frustrating Basketball Season"

They should have been more aggressive up 5 with 5 to go esp with the refs doing their best to make sure krooziewooski didn?t end his career without a sweet 16. The 3 fouls in one possession were a joke - even Izzo was laughing at how bad they were. But it?s always like that against dook - breath on one of them and they?re at the foul line, Hoggard get?s grabbed two-handed in the lane and it?s ?play on?.

They have to be better to overcome that and the talent differential playing dook. I can't complain too much about the offense over all other than the last 5 minutes, but the defense has to get better/tougher and as has already been pointed out, we need a more effective post presence.

as for next year, we have next to nothing coming in so what do we have coming back? Hoggard made a lot of progress this year maybe he can develop a more consistent 3-point shot? With him, Walker and Aiken coming back that's a pretty solid PG rotation. I have mixed feelings about Brown coming back - we'd be a little thin at the 2/3 without him, no? SG/SF is a bit of a question mark. It would be nice if Hall can become more consistent but even if he does, we're gonna have issues up front (unless Davis Smith grows 8 inches, packs on 60lbs and develops a drop step).

Last edited:
Next year we have Kohler coming in at PF, he's got a polished low post game, but will need to add strength to defend. Holloman is going to get minutes at PG right away, he can play.

Probably will add a wing and a center via the porthole.

The team was frustrating this year because they had a fairly high ceiling and showed it occasionally, but it wasn't consistent enough. We go up by 5 on Duke and then the offense just went stale like so many other times this season.

Rumors that our basketball strength and conditioning program is lagging behind, that adds up, other teams look way more physically developed than we do on the regular, even lower ranked recruits.

Hoggard is the team leader and could be great next year, he will work on his shot, but I don't think it's hopeless, his form is fine, just a little flat right now. Hall is a mystery, just has some funks, but I guess he's dealing with family health issues back home that are stressful. Walker and Christie need to get stronger, but are shot makers. Marble is a guy, decent scorer, but his defense is awful. Akins can make a big leap.

I hope you're right but I have my doubts that Jaxon Kohler is the answer to our problems up front - at least for the '22/'23 season.

19 Msu fouls to 12 Duke fouls. Ok I?m watching the game with my wife the Msu fan rooting like hell to end coach K?s Career, and I get that most nights the other team is going to get more fouls called on them then Duke. But this game was real physical with both sides having beefs on calls that should been and 1 and fouls. But the 3 ticky tack fouls down the stretch on Msu seemed counter to how the game was being called all game. I thought Msu played a great game. Maybe the last three minutes maybe keep pushing. Heck idk.
Thought Msu had them up 70-65. I really like Christie he is a really great player.

I actually thought the game was officiated well, the foul differential is partially accounted for by us fouling at the end of the game. Duke scored most of their points in the paint, we shot from the perimeter, that would lead to more fouls on MSU. In 2015 in the final four, we were taken out of the game by the refs in the first 8-10 minutes, Coach K got the favorable whistle that he has been getting for 40 years, but that wasn't the case. Duke shot a much better percentage because they had the players to own the lane, we didn't and couldn't get a bucket when we needed it late.

Next year we have Kohler coming in at PF, he's got a polished low post game, but will need to add strength to defend. Holloman is going to get minutes at PG right away, he can play.

Probably will add a wing and a center via the porthole.

The team was frustrating this year because they had a fairly high ceiling and showed it occasionally, but it wasn't consistent enough. We go up by 5 on Duke and then the offense just went stale like so many other times this season.

Rumors that our basketball strength and conditioning program is lagging behind, that adds up, other teams look way more physically developed than we do on the regular, even lower ranked recruits.

Hoggard is the team leader and could be great next year, he will work on his shot, but I don't think it's hopeless, his form is fine, just a little flat right now. Hall is a mystery, just has some funks, but I guess he's dealing with family health issues back home that are stressful. Walker and Christie need to get stronger, but are shot makers. Marble is a guy, decent scorer, but his defense is awful. Akins can make a big leap.

Just FYI, it's no guarantee that Christie comes back to MSU even if he goes back to college. He went from a lottery pick to a fringe 1st rounder with disappointing performance. There are some around him that are looking for someone to blame, so they're saying they don't like how he was used. This makes no sense at all because he still got 30 minutes per game and plenty of shots even with his low percentages. There is a lot of blame being pointed in the wrong direction. I do know the Christie family is in contact with Izzo again and things may be worked out, but a lot of blame is being misplaced.

Back