Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Facebook loses $10 billion due to new Apple security feature

Why wouldn't they just call?

Times are different now. Back in the day people would find out in the obits in the local paper. Most people don't get the newspaper anymore. Unfortunately, social media is the best way to get that type of info out to people that might want to know.

Not really; it's pretty basic. They use the cookies on your browser, (sometimes they use "persistent cookies," web beacons, or otherwise cookies that are nearly impossible to delete) to collect your data based on the sites you visit, search history, and who knows what else.

From there, they write some pretty simple software code that tells the ad software on your browser which ad to display, based on your history. It might target more recent history, or it might target you based on the overall history, or based on whatever demographics they've pigeon-holed you into.

Facebook's tracking - based off the data users give them - is even more targeted... I remember one of the digital marketing guys at a prior company I worked for telling me when he heard their sales pitch, he was surprised how specific of audiences they could produce to target.

it's so simple, I'm surprised you didn't think of it, develop the code and build a multibillion dollar company with it - don't you have at least a 5 year head start on Zuckerberg?

Now that I realize how simple it is and anyone could have done, I agree Mark Zuckerberg didn't earn any of that wealth. We should tax the shit out of him and give the money to everyone who could have easily done what he did but didn't because they just had better shit to do, like buy shit from FB ads.

Last edited:
Times are different now. Back in the day people would find out in the obits in the local paper. Most people don't get the newspaper anymore. Unfortunately, social media is the best way to get that type of info out to people that might want to know.

Really, on death? For us a cousin dies they call someone else and then they might call some people. I don't use social media and I've never been out of the loop on the important stuff.

It?s a necessary evil since various relatives won?t leave it I have to have a way of getting information to them when people die and stuff

If I don?t know someone died before I find out about it on facebook I don?t care if they?re dead.

Really, on death? For us a cousin dies they call someone else and then they might call some people. I don't use social media and I've never been out of the loop on the important stuff.

I just don't want to talk to some people and such, simple chat over the bundled messenger is all. That and the younger generation doesn't answer their phones anymore. That's just so antiquated, we are dinosaurs now don't ya know.

Do the ads claim to be the best and/or cheapest tires? It's not FB or Google's fault if some lazy schlub overpays for their tires.

it's generally part of their pitch about why you should allow them to collect/track your information, to provide better personalized recommendations. in the end, they just show you whoever paid them the most.

it's so simple, I'm surprised you didn't think of it, develop the code and build a multibillion dollar company with it - don't you have at least a 5 year head start on Zuckerberg?

Now that I realize how simple it is and anyone could have done, I agree Mark Zuckerberg didn't earn any of that wealth. We should tax the shit out of him and give the money to everyone who could have easily done what he did but didn't because they just had better shit to do, like buy shit from FB ads.

Bootlickers will bootlick...

Same thing.

Anyway FB is moving on to creating a fake matrix world now so everyone can just jump in the pod and make the job easier for the aliens. In time you'll not be able to tell the fake world from the real one, or.. odds are this one is also fake so, meh.. how many layers deep are we now anyway? the creator may have lost count.

Last edited:
sure is. I hope they eventually go bankrupt, anyone find a decent replacement for it yet? I haven't..:-( MeWe sucked no one wanted to follow me there, Gab is nothing but echo chamber politics. I'm sure GETTR is much the same. Parlor's servers are in Russia, no thanks that's an entrapment con now. oh well. Trumps new stupidity named truth social site is supposed to be coming out soon. I'm guessing my orange man bad friends won't follow me over there though either. oh what a cluster.

Well let me know when you find out. If Facebook goes down, where will I find all the information that the government and scientists don?t want me to know?

Anyway FB is moving on to creating a fake matrix world now so everyone can just jump in the pod and make the job easier for the aliens. In time you'll not be able to tell the fake world from the real one, or.. odds are this one is also fake so, meh.. how many layers deep are we now anyway? the creator may have lost count.

All while Zuck makes enough money to buy another island and enjoy the real world in peace. Pretty brilliant.

All while Zuck makes enough money to buy another island and enjoy the real world in peace. Pretty brilliant.

I'm not so sure he wasn't already replaced with a beta meta avatar already.

giphy.gif

I completely agree with this - they should just stay in their lane, only track activity on their platform and give their users the option to opt out of being tracked. Go ahead and charge them for using the platform if they don't want to share their data, or maybe pay them for their data but give them some kind of option. Zuckerberg has to be the most arrogant prick on the planet - all those arrogant assholes at Davos probably complain about what an arrogant prick he is.

The entire problem is that Users have to Opt Out. As much as I dislike government interference, protecting the people is when it is acceptable.

The policy should be Users have to Opt In of their own free volition and not through any subversive, hidden, or coercive measures. Do you want targeted ads? Then click here and then also click a confirmation, followed by an email notification. That would take very little time to program and would be an automated system so it isn't something requiring constant supervision.

Opt Out is a BS policy.

It?s a necessary evil since various relatives won?t leave it I have to have a way of getting information to them when people die and stuff

That would be called email and telephone. A little more time consuming, but a far better alternative.

Fuck Facebook, the Devil of the Internet.

Back