Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 37 Detroit Tigers @ Cleveland Indians 1:10 EST 5/8

Her reasoning as spelled out in the article is sound. Harris has had one year of oversight on the draft, and apparently limited options in terms of free agent hires (we aren't the Dodgers or Yankees). As she spelled out in the article, most of the hitters that are struggling were acquired by Avila. It takes more time for a new general manager to have any effect than the 21 months that Harris has been here, and assessing the effect of batting coaches on the players can't really be done by those of us outside the loop without taking that into consideration.
well, if he doesn't like the players that he was given, get different players. Also, he did sign one of AA's players to a long term contract before he even set foot on an MLB diamond, and he's been terrible.

That said, my main point is that she says "don't blame" then she goes ahead and blames AA. It's her M.O., she loves Harris and his staff, so she continues to put blame on the previous regime

I watched people here start blaming Harris last year, and it continues. Do we know how much money Harris has been given to sign people? Was Canha or Urshela a bad signing? Keith was signed to a long term contract, and he is performing about as well as a fast track rookie would be expected to perform at this point; it’s extremely early to be padding judgement there. Who are the free agents we should have signed, when we are in a position of essentially breaking in new prospects for the next year or two? There are a number of players that are essentially stopgap choices, until a few pieces of the picture are more firmly in place.
Try some patience

The exact explanation Ryan Garko shared with us this week on Days of Roar. The chasm in pitching quality and skill between AAA and the major leagues has NEVER been wider.

While J.D. Martinez was building up in the minors, a Triple-A coach with the New York Mets asked him how he was feeling at the plate.“OK,” Martinez replied. “But I haven’t seen any velocity.”

its also why demoting Torkelson would be useless..in helping resolve his issues..

Through Monday, the average Stuff+ of every pitch in the majors was 100. At Triple A, it was 86, down from 95 last season.

This is just a theory, but I think Foley might be dealing with some arm fatigue. AJ using him in the 7th. Only facing 3 hitters. Velo down over the last several outings. Only appeared in one game since that blown save in NYC.

When you are a POBO/GM and you come to a team fresh that's got pieces..you are confronted with two roads to travel.
1. Makes bold moves to try and win immediately.
2. Slow walk everything to preserve your job choice. 2 almost never ever works.

Its always endorsed by an ignorant owner and a POBO who cares more about job preservation..risk aversion ..is code for bad talent evaluation..and small testicles..20 months in..Scott Harris has the best manager in baseball and has given him tools bought at Dollar Tree.

Javy Baez BB% by year
2022: 4.4%
2023: 4.4%
2024: 4.4%
Also, his current wRC+ is almost have of what it was last year. 33 compared to 66.
Don’t think he’s in a Tigers uniform next year regardless of his contract.

Reese Olson since August 28th of last year (13 starts) 2.06 ERA 1.029 WHIP.

Let Colt Keith cook a bit longer.
I know you’re hungry but Keith’s skills are going to win out eventually.
BYBTB

I watched people here start blaming Harris last year, and it continues. Do we know how much money Harris has been given to sign people? Was Canha or Urshela a bad signing? Keith was signed to a long term contract, and he is performing about as well as a fast track rookie would be expected to perform at this point; it’s extremely early to be padding judgement there. Who are the free agents we should have signed, when we are in a position of essentially breaking in new prospects for the next year or two? There are a number of players that are essentially stopgap choices, until a few pieces of the picture are more firmly in place.
Try some patience
So if the hitting is so bad who do we blame? The GM puts the team together, it's not like the Tigers are poor. This isn't about wins and losses any more or being competetive but put an offense together than score more than a couple runs. When the offense doesn't get any better from the previous year that's not progress. Rebuild teams are suppose to get better, at least by a little bit, not stay stagnet. Jace is 23, why isn't he up rather than McKinstry? Why not Malloy, he's 24. What are they waiting for? Are they just giving up for 2024? Stopgap is only good if we're waiting for 20-21 years olds. 23-24, if they're hitting should be up.

So if the hitting is so bad who do we blame? The GM puts the team together, it's not like the Tigers are poor. This isn't about wins and losses any more or being competetive but put an offense together than score more than a couple runs. When the offense doesn't get any better from the previous year that's not progress. Rebuild teams are suppose to get better, at least by a little bit, not stay stagnet. Jace is 23, why isn't he up rather than McKinstry? Why not Malloy, he's 24. What are they waiting for? Are they just giving up for 2024? Stopgap is only good if we're waiting for 20-21 years olds. 23-24, if they're hitting should be up.
I know this might not be a satisfying answer, but I see several things going on that add up to our position now. First, you say that the Tigers aren’t poor, but how rich is the owner letting the team be? We don’t know, but what we do know is that the richer teams are spending money like there is no tomorrow, and if you have quite a few pieces that need replacing, and are planning to do it with free agents, the cost is going to be crazy high for the ones that are somewhat guaranteed to have an impact. Should we have gone after JD Martinez? That move has a good chance of turning into a bust. Soto? I doubt he would have gone for the Tigers; it’s too alluring to slot into a team that stands a much better chance of competing at the top? Ohtani? Not viable; realize that the Dodgers effectively spent a billion dollars on free agency this year for a team that already had most of its pieces in place. There payroll is close to three times ours, but if you factor in deferred pay, it will make the Cabrera deal seem miniscule. They will be paying Ohtani 68 million a year for ten years starting in 2034.
If you want to assign blame for the bad hitting, blame reality, and hope that Harris sticks with a plan that preserves the good pitching while making some major moves soon to replace the prospects that don’t end up working out as well as the placeholders like McKinstry. Interestingly, my upstairs neighbor is a Yankees fan, and he is railing about their offense much like we are about the Tigers (Though I haven’t heard from him this week, his mind is on the ongoing playoffs).

Why Maeda, over someone perfectly viable like Kennedy - rather than just getting a bat. I don't expect guys like Soto to be coming here all I'm saying is if the offense is terrible one year, and then terrible the next - someone has to be accountable. If you blame the players, than the GM gets some of that because he's the one bringing them in. Regardless if he was around when they drafted or signed..

To your point I have no idea what Iilitch has given Harris to work with. But the payroll is lower this year than last.. But this whole organization seems to want to have patient with everything.. 8 year rebuild already, I'd like some urgency in building a winner. Waiting forever to demote Meadows (not just a struggle but humungous struggle). Holding onto Keith at the MLB level, most likely because he got the big contract - Patient with Tork. Keeping McKinstry - I don't get this one. I would try a number of guys that are in the minor over him. Not much you can do with the catchers, not now anyway.

Patience, patience, patience - it's been 8 years. And I know I'll hear but Harris has been here only two years, a rebuild shouldn't have to start over because of a new regime.

FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

Happy Mother’s Day! (Yes, those of us with children are starting the celebration early…)
It is usually on this day that I’ve written my yearly momager blog. The one that pointed out how moms were so much better equipped to ensure the smooth running of this team back in the days of Ron Gardenhire and Brad Ausmus.
But on a positive note, I can now say that the adults are finally in charge so I retired that blog. It had a good long run.
But if you think I’m not going to talk about moms on this holiday weekend, you are sadly mistaken. We deserve recognition 365 days a week, not just 1 dinky little day in May.
So let’s talk about moms. They love baseball, too!
My mother worked for the legendary Ty Tyson but really picked up her interest in baseball because of me. I think it started as a survival tactic.
But it entered our discussions almost every day during the season. And she became a fan.
On this holiday weekend, I look back and remember 5 of the best memories I have of her involving baseball.

Tarik Skubal: Balancing Intensity and Joy for the Game | Have a Seat. 43 minutes.

Happy Friday, and welcome to day 224 since Spencer Torkelson hit a home run. Maybe tonight is the night.

Torkelson is hitting .191 against fastballs and .194 against fastballs in the heart of the zone. His expected batting average against fastballs is .189, which means the balls in play have low exit velocities and unfavorable launch angles. It's a timing issue.

If you are calling for AJ Hinch to be fired..you may be
1. Too stupid to post about baseball.
2. In need of having your drivers license revoked because you are likely too stupid and dangerous to drive.
3. Hungry..because you are too stupid to get food.
MGorosh

Justin Verlander starts Sunday in Detroit.

Tigers are 1-5 in their last 6..and if they played clean Hinch caliber baseball as they did early in April, they would have won all 6 games..can't be offensive deficient and play terrible situational sloppy baseball.

While fans and especially stupid media whine about the Tigerspayroll
BAL, CLE, MIL
WSH
all have similar or smaller payrolls..MIL traded their Cy Young caliber #1 SP and lost their manager..its never about the $$$..its always about how you spend it.

Casey Mize has been decent through his first 6 starts.. although his FB has increased in velocity since TJ the overall quality of stuff and his performance is slightly worse than 2021.. something to watch in his next 6 starts.

Tigers prospect Justyn-Henry Malloy hasn't played since Friday due to an undisclosed injury, now missing five games in a row.

Tigers Today podcast: TV man Jason Benetti talks dad jokes, love of naps, idols, and more. 42 minutes.
Detnews

Tarik Skubal: Balancing Intensity and Joy for the Game | Have a Seat. 43 minutes.

Happy Friday, and welcome to day 224 since Spencer Torkelson hit a home run. Maybe tonight is the night.

Torkelson is hitting .191 against fastballs and .194 against fastballs in the heart of the zone. His expected batting average against fastballs is .189, which means the balls in play have low exit velocities and unfavorable launch angles. It's a timing issue.

If you are calling for AJ Hinch to be fired..you may be
1. Too stupid to post about baseball.
2. In need of having your drivers license revoked because you are likely too stupid and dangerous to drive.
3. Hungry..because you are too stupid to get food.
MGorosh

Justin Verlander starts Sunday in Detroit.

Tigers are 1-5 in their last 6..and if they played clean Hinch caliber baseball as they did early in April, they would have won all 6 games..can't be offensive deficient and play terrible situational sloppy baseball.

While fans and especially stupid media whine about the Tigerspayroll
BAL, CLE, MIL
WSH
all have similar or smaller payrolls..MIL traded their Cy Young caliber #1 SP and lost their manager..its never about the $$$..its always about how you spend it.

Casey Mize has been decent through his first 6 starts.. although his FB has increased in velocity since TJ the overall quality of stuff and his performance is slightly worse than 2021.. something to watch in his next 6 starts.

Tigers prospect Justyn-Henry Malloy hasn't played since Friday due to an undisclosed injury, now missing five games in a row.

Tigers Today podcast: TV man Jason Benetti talks dad jokes, love of naps, idols, and more. 42 minutes.
Detnews

MGorosh comes off as such an asshole.

Back