Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Harbaugh is AP Coach of the Year

This is good and I agree it's well-deserved, but they should still fire him immediately before he gets complacent.

Bring in some new blood to shake things up for the playoffs.

Modernize the offense too... no one wants to see a team run for 5-6 touchdowns every week. BORING.

This is good and I agree it's well-deserved, but they should still fire him immediately before he gets complacent.

Modernize the offense too... no one wants to see a team run for 5-6 touchdowns every week. BORING.

Ah, you beat me to the punch.

I was going to call for him to be fired immediately upon accepting the award.

I'm almost positive that Oakland is still in play.

Congrats to Coach. I'll take my crow as well.

The offense is cohesive now. More important than being "modern". I think Gattis needed experience calling games and that's why we finally saw it all come together this year. There were hiccups early, but Rutgers was the only poorly called game. Gattis and Harbaugh got in lockstep after that and the offense was great.

The offense is cohesive now. More important than being "modern". I think Gattis needed experience calling games and that's why we finally saw it all come together this year. There were hiccups early, but Rutgers was the only poorly called game. Gattis and Harbaugh got in lockstep after that and the offense was great.

I don't necessarily think that the Rutgers game was as much playcalling as it was execution. Cade had his head slammed to the ground right before halftime and he missed several very open receivers in the second half. The playcalling wasn't any different against Wisconsin but they were hitting the open throws. So what had been 3 and outs against Rutgers was now sustained drives because of the execution that led to conversions.

Not saying that I wouldn't have liked to have seen a few outside runs before there was only 3 minutes left in the game, just that having 3 and outs because your QB misses several throws is a lot different than bad playcalling. Gattis tried to take advantage of the fact that Rutgers had sold out on stopping the run and we just didn't connect on those throws.

Just read that Jim's contract pays a $75k bonus for winning the AP coach of the year, so another $75k to the people who took a pay cut last year!

I don't necessarily think that the Rutgers game was as much playcalling as it was execution. Cade had his head slammed to the ground right before halftime and he missed several very open receivers in the second half. The playcalling wasn't any different against Wisconsin but they were hitting the open throws. So what had been 3 and outs against Rutgers was now sustained drives because of the execution that led to conversions.

Not saying that I wouldn't have liked to have seen a few outside runs before there was only 3 minutes left in the game, just that having 3 and outs because your QB misses several throws is a lot different than bad playcalling. Gattis tried to take advantage of the fact that Rutgers had sold out on stopping the run and we just didn't connect on those throws.

The inside running was what drove me crazy. Rutgers was loading up to stop the inside run and we refused to go outside. Played too much into their hands, but we still won. All that really matters.

Ah, you beat me to the punch.

I was going to call for him to be fired immediately upon accepting the award.

brevity is the soul of wit. I thought about keeping mine more succinct ("Ok Good. Now fire him") after I posted, but don't want to be known as one of those guys who's constantly editing his own posts

The inside running was what drove me crazy. Rutgers was loading up to stop the inside run and we refused to go outside. Played too much into their hands, but we still won. All that really matters.

If you are not able to run the ball, fine. The other team is determined to make you pass. But when you refuse to try and run the ends, it drives me insane, especially when you have the speed to do so. That is why we were so perplexed. It also didn't help that Cade got rattled that day and was missing receivers. We won and it IS all that matters. Still can't believe where we are at right now. I just wish we got to play Georgia this weekend. I hate the layoff. I don't want it killing this teams' momentum.

I'm totally on board with the other posters calling for him to be fired.

The old saying "Quit while you're ahead!" definitely applies here.

In fact, they should completely disband UM football and never play another game.

I'm totally on board with the other posters calling for him to be fired.

The old saying "Quit while you're ahead!" definitely applies here.

In fact, they should completely disband UM football and never play another game.

I think I mentioned it somewhere else here recently, but my all-time favorite whiny Michigan fan comment was a kid in my dorm in 1998... we started 0-2 after winning the national title the year before, and he said he wished we never went 12-0 in '97, because now it was impossible to fire Lloyd Carr.

I think I mentioned it somewhere else here recently, but my all-time favorite whiny Michigan fan comment was a kid in my dorm in 1998... we started 0-2 after winning the national title the year before, and he said he wished we never went 12-0 in '97, because now it was impossible to fire Lloyd Carr.

Helps explain a lot of politics to me.

My point was that they had 12 plays in the first 22 minutes of that half. Cade was 1-5 on those plays for 7 yards. They had a false start on the first drive. They missed a field goal on their 5th drive that would have made it a 2 score game. They also had runs of 3, 4 and 7 yards mixed in on the 7 rushing plays on the first series.

Not saying that I was impressed with the offense that half, just that it's hard to blame a play caller when he has 12 plays to work with and your QB misses open guys on a third of them. If you want to talk about maybe they shouldn't have been playing Cade if he got his bell rang, that's a conversation I'm happy to have. Not because I think JJ was anywhere near ready, simply to avoid a Shane Morris at Nebraska situation and not jeopardize a player's safety.

I agree Cade was concussed, shell-shocked at best, after that hit.

Even if they just sat him out the 3rd quarter to let him get his head straight that would have been better.

I'm sure Cade was saying he was fine, I get that. I'm just not sure if the medical staff did a thorough enough check on him. Even if he was fine, he had something screwed up and needed his brain time to just reset and relax. Pretty sure I mentioned he had Happy Feet in the pocket that 3rd quarter and said the coaches needed to pick up on that. Whether it is a QB coach or Grad Assistant, or another player, got to make sure the upper staff is fully aware and get Cade the downtime necessary to recover.

Back