Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Have an Obtuse Juneteenth

tinselwolverine

Set off some fireworks, or engage in street racing, maybe ride around in a pickup with a gun rack?things of this nature. Maybe wear a t-shirt depicting the assassination of Lincoln - which he deserved, because, according to wokescolds, he was was just another patriarchal colonialist, whose name should never be associated with a school. Or you could wear a t that simply says ?Sockdologizer? if you want to be smug.

Today is, of course, the first day of the spectacular four day Juneteenth holiday weekend, with Monday the 20th as the official federal holiday - so don?t count on doing any banking or getting mail.

Also the US stock markets will be closed Monday - the Lord works in mysterious ways, although technically it was POTUS J?Biden who signed that enactment into law.

How ironic.

Although this thread may come off as flippant - because it is - two things can be true.

I like this holiday, and I?m glad we have it.

I think it's a stupid holiday...but there are a lot of stupid holidays.

Well we don?t have an Emancipation Proclamation day - and the Emancipation Proclamation was kind of important - so this can be that.

I am currently honoring Juneteenth by watching Juneteenth special edition of the first celebration of Juneteenth on The View.

Which is absurd and ironic.

But I love irony and absurdity.

I think I?ve said that before.

Not to mix up frivolity with fact, history is being reported inaccurately. Of course black people in Texas and Galveston knew about the emancipation proclamation before June 19, 1865.

The powers that were in the territory of Texas considered Texas to be exempt from the proclamation, because Texas was not a state.

So it took the union army marching into Texas to let everyone know that of course, the emancipation proclamation applied to the territory of Texas as well.

So the next time some whiny ass woke scold tells you that black people first learned they were supposed to be free on Juneteenth, and that?s why we need critical race theory taught to little kids, tell them ?actually you?re the one who has learned history, wrong, and I know about this from reading NPR (you can credit me for having posted the link if you want) you whining little fuck.?

I think it's a stupid holiday...but there are a lot of stupid holidays.

It's all about marketing, they just need better PR.

Non christians celebrate Christmas and Easter. Because there's candy and presents involved.

Clearly, to get people on board, Juneteenth needs candy and presents.

You'd certainly get corproate America on board and really that's all that matters.

My company gave us the day off today so I'm taking full advantage. Replacing rotten fence posts. Going to the shooting range. Doing other odds and ends. But also remembering, in all seriousness, that millions of people were enslaved for centuries in this country and I think it's important to remember that, so it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:
Kumbaya Day maybe.

Or we could call it both.

Remember how on Rocky and Bullwinkle the next episode was going to have alternate names?
I was never a big Rocky and Bullwinkle fan. My neighbor was obsessed with it though. It drove me nuts.

RE: Post 5. Texas was granted statehood on December 29, 1845. That's what sparked the War With Mexico in 1846 and 1847.

Last edited:
Jeez you guys, read a wikipedia article. It's not hard...

"it is celebrated on the anniversary of the order by Major General Gordon Granger proclaiming freedom for enslaved people in Texas on June 19, 1865 (two and a half years after the Emancipation Proclamation was issued)"

and

"The day was recognized as a federal holiday in 2021, when President Joe Biden signed the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act into law."

cheap way to shore up his liberal bonafides, before running to the Right of Trump on economic issues, selling out working people even more than Trump did.

I thought that "Juneteenth" may have been the day the last slaves were freed in the Confederacy... Texas was relatively remote from most of the fighting and a real "backwater"
in those days, so the Union didn't make much of an effort to occupy it. As a result, slaves weren't freed there until fighting ended. But the same wikipedia article shows that actually slavery remained legal in Kentucky and Delaware, until the 13th Amendment was enacted in December 1865. So... whatever.

"Being happy people were freed from slavery" is one of those things you're taught "Americans" would be on favor of when you're in grade school. but then you grow up and realize most Americans are rotten shitbags who are actually okay with slavery, so it's probably a testament to how much the breadth of the George Floyd protests scared the establishment to see Biden - who made a career out of racist, race-baiting politics - would be the one to sign it into law as a federal holiday.

Jeez you guys, read a wikipedia article. It's not hard...

"it is celebrated on the anniversary of the order by Major General Gordon Granger proclaiming freedom for enslaved people in Texas on June 19, 1865 (two and a half years after the Emancipation Proclamation was issued)"

and

"The day was recognized as a federal holiday in 2021, when President Joe Biden signed the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act into law."

cheap way to shore up his liberal bonafides, before running to the Right of Trump on economic issues, selling out working people even more than Trump did.

I thought that "Juneteenth" may have been the day the last slaves were freed in the Confederacy... Texas was relatively remote from most of the fighting and a real "backwater"
in those days, so the Union didn't make much of an effort to occupy it. As a result, slaves weren't freed there until fighting ended. But the same wikipedia article shows that actually slavery remained legal in Kentucky and Delaware, until the 13th Amendment was enacted in December 1865. So... whatever.

"Being happy people were freed from slavery" is one of those things you're taught "Americans" would be on favor of when you're in grade school. but then you grow up and realize most Americans are rotten shitbags who are actually okay with slavery, so it's probably a testament to how much the breadth of the George Floyd protests scared the establishment to see Biden - who made a career out of racist, race-baiting politics - would be the one to sign it into law as a federal holiday.

Yeah, whatever.

So are you gonna get outta bed and leap over yourself to watch the first English open during the reign of Charles, as I predicted you will on the golf thread?

And Holy freaking Toledo - Hunter Biden just agrees to a misdemeanor plea deal, just like Trump predicted he would.

Holy freaking crap.

And Holy freaking Toledo - Hunter Biden just agrees to a misdemeanor plea deal, just like Trump predicted he would.

Holy freaking crap.

Well, the informed are informed and we are given the mushroom treatment. This is as old as politics.

"To their decision, in common with all good citizens, I shall cheerfully submit, whatever this may be..." James Buchanan Inaugural Address, March 4, 1857. He was commenting on the pending Dred Scott decision by the Supreme Court of March 6, 1857, which rendered the Compromises of 1820, 1850, and popular sovereignty null and void, and also rendered all black people, whether slave or free, as non-citizens of the United States.

Buchanan was a "doughface" Democrat, and his line in this address tipped off the world as to the decision to come.

Back