Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

High Speed Rail

Gulo Blue

Pete Buttigieg: I want the United States to be leading the world in high speed rail

I don't know much about Buttigieg or what policies he ran on, but this is the kind of probably bad decision making I support out of pure train envy. Heck, let's build a hyperloop somewhere and see that that goes too.

Pete Buttigieg: I want the United States to be leading the world in high speed rail

I don't know much about Buttigieg or what policies he ran on, but this is the kind of probably bad decision making I support out of pure train envy. Heck, let's build a hyperloop somewhere and see that that goes too.

We should call it 'The People Mover'.

Watched an interview on MSINFORMATIONBC. Fawning Hostess says that “she is obsessed with trains” as I reminded myself that railroads cut swaths through Indian land in the 19th century. Trains burn fossil fuel, too. Trains derail. Trains haul the goods of greedy corporations. So, I wonder how that’s even possible for her.

Of course Pete and his fawning hostess emphasized that “equity,” the hottest new buzzword of our time, will be front and center in assuring that “the mistakes of the past” would not be repeated. Like placing “people of color” in different cars. Somehow, that’s a possibility, or was inferred, since Rosa Parks came up. And there will be no “overtowning” as was the case with the highway system that they most assuredly use themselves, in spite of the way it displaced people. Somehow, HSR will not displace anyone. It will just make our country so much better. There was no mention as what the motive power is. But Fawning Hostess said that because Pete was a “mayor” he can “make some changes.”

“How long is it going to take before I get my high-speed rail?” was her initial, probing, insightful question.

Ms. Host could not even say “Trump” when she referred to “the previous administration.” Also, republicans want “private ownership” ... and that’s an “obstacle.”

Pete mentioned that Japan has them; so should we. Makes eminent sense. Since rail is the “most civilized” means of mast transit, according to Fawning Hostess.. Whatever that means. Maybe we won’t be subjected to the invasive TSA cavity searches that are ensconced in air travel.

I’ve not watched an MSM anything for months, and that brief interview turned my insides into water. The subtext there was chilling.

And Pete wants America to “lead the world” in high-speed rail. I’m a bit confused. Isn’t that somewhat nationalistic?

Last edited:
I'm already bored by 200 mph though. 'World leader' better mean faster.

Fastest US train was on a test track in 1974. Sad.

HSR will never work in the US, at least not to the extent they are dreaming. For starters, they will never have a train go from NY to LA, covering roughly 2800 miles, in 5 hours. Why? Those 600 mph trains will be stopping at least in every big city along the way. Your 5 hour trip just turned into a 15 hour trip. Few people are willing to repeatedly spend that time, even with the benefit of "seeing more of America from the ground" or other marketing concepts. Especially since the cost to ride the train will likely be greater than the cost to fly non-stop.

HSR is much more for connecting SF to LA and SD. That makes some sense provided there and no additional stops. On the east coast, connect Boston to NY to Philly to DC and then to Miami.

Still, it is not just needing land for the rails, there are the Roundhouses and Parking structures also, and maintaining all those miles of rail is neither fast nor cheap.

A few HSRs are fine. Making the US into the world leader? That dog don't hunt because we cannot even get the US to become the world leader in Internet Connectivity.

HSR will never work in the US, at least not to the extent they are dreaming. For starters, they will never have a train go from NY to LA, covering roughly 2800 miles, in 5 hours. Why? Those 600 mph trains will be stopping at least in every big city along the way. Your 5 hour trip just turned into a 15 hour trip. Few people are willing to repeatedly spend that time, even with the benefit of "seeing more of America from the ground" or other marketing concepts. Especially since the cost to ride the train will likely be greater than the cost to fly non-stop.

HSR is much more for connecting SF to LA and SD. That makes some sense provided there and no additional stops. On the east coast, connect Boston to NY to Philly to DC and then to Miami.

Still, it is not just needing land for the rails, there are the Roundhouses and Parking structures also, and maintaining all those miles of rail is neither fast nor cheap.

A few HSRs are fine. Making the US into the world leader? That dog don't hunt because we cannot even get the US to become the world leader in Internet Connectivity.
Yeah. Massive hurdles. The best places for it would be the places where the land is hardest to find too.

We already discussed this on the board. Pete Buttigieg should post here.

We concluded:

- High speed rail, and passenger rail in general, are bad and possibly even a tool of Satan.

- America is the greatest country on Earth, BECAUSE we can't build high speed rail here.

- You can only build high speed rail in countries that are small, like Germany, Japan, and France.

- You can only build high speed rail in big countries, like China, if they're not California (which is a bad place), or have union labor. China is also a bad place, but not as bad as California.

- Like hardly any countries have high speed rail, and anything that says otherwise is BULLSHIT.

- You must ignore the fact that high speed rail in the US, where it's been tried, had a far higher cost per mile than even France, which has even stronger unions than the US. If you read an article that this is because political and financial corruption in the US is out-of-control, you're the DUMBEST PERSON of ALL TIME. Besides, we know this can't be true, because the US is the greatest country on Earth. DUH.

- If you listen to lobbyists from the oil, airline, or automotive industries, or the myriad of trade groups those industries fund, who go on TV and tell you high speed rail is bad you're a smart independent thinker.

- If you question the motives of any of these industries, believe they might actually manipulate public opinion, or have actively conspired to oppose rail and other public transit in the US, you instantly become THE DUMBEST PERSON OF ALL TIME, and TOTALLY STUPID.

Maybe we can get China to build HSR in the USA. They’ve done it once before.

Maybe we can get China to build HSR in the USA. They?ve done it once before.

That may be the only way it gets done. Corporate America would rather see money go to China than have to pay it to American workers.

Back