Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs Kentucky

thewolverines24

1 PM Eastern on ABC. This game is being played in London at the same time as England's World Cup game. I'm assuming the crowd is going to be sparse. Very sparse. No idea why this is London in the first place. No one there cares about college basketball.

KEYS
Transition defense: Kentucky?s offense is great in a run-and-gun transition game but hasn?t figured things out in the half court. Michigan would be best served to control this game, take away easy transition opportunities and force the Wildcats to execute in a half-court game. Michigan has been okay at limiting transition opportunities this season but hasn?t faced a test of this level.

Defensive rebounding: Michigan State and Gonzaga held UK to under a 30% offensive rebounding rate in their wins against the Wildcats. Michigan should shoot to hold Kentucky under 33% to feel like it has a shot at the upset but that feels like a difficult task given some of this U-M team?s vulnerability on the defensive glass.

Interior scoring: For Michigan?s offense to have a chance, Hunter Dickinson needs to score often and efficiently inside against a terrific UK defense. He?s capable of it but Michigan needs it for forty minutes on Sunday. Dickinson?s ability to score is so crucial because it is hard to figure out where else U-M?s 2-point scoring will come from if he struggles.

MATCHUPS
Wheeler ? Llewellyn
Wallace ? Bufkin
Reeves ? Howard
Toppin ? Williams
Tshiebwe ? Dickinson

It really does feel like this game comes down to the two big men and how they can impact the game. Michigan needs Hunter Dickinson to score efficiently for its offense to kick into gear, and Tshiebwe?s rebounding should be a huge problem for Michigan?s defense. It?s not hard to draw up a path to a successful night for either player, but they also haven?t faced this sort of matchup very often.

BOTTOM LINE
This is an entirely different test than Michigan saw against Virginia, but that doesn?t mean it is an easier one. KenPom pegs the Wolverines as 9-point underdogs, giving U-M a 22% chance of the neutral court upset. The fact that the game is taking place in a different timezone and country certainly adds an element that is tough to predict, although both teams are accustomed to playing games in unique venues

GO BLUE!

Go Blue
We could sure use a win over a top 20 team but I fear Kentucky is gone got apply pressure to our guards.
Hopefully they can hold up. I am be in and out and I will dvr the game for later.

What a stupid Time ABC picked. Against football.

Last edited:
Go Blue
We could sure use a win over a top 20 team but I fear Kentucky is gone got apply pressure to our guards.
Hopefully they can hold up. I am be in and out and I will dvr the game for later.

What a stupid Time ABC picked. Against football.

Hey, Churchill picked a stupid time to be bombed by the Germans.

King George picked a stupid time to take on General Washington.

The Beatles and the Stones picked a stupid time for the British Invasion.

Actually, that one worked out okay.

(with a Bri?ish accent mates ? I actually have a pre?y good one. I actually have several of them, mul?iple dialects)

I want you to know that I?m continuing to celebrate team?s second consecutive conference championship of football - real football, as how our God designed it to be. I am continuing to celebrate by consuming a cocktail right at the same time her late majesty, the Queen, would?ve been consuming one of her own numerous daily cocktails.

(I sounded good, right?)

Not a fan of jacking up so many threes now. Run the offense get Hunter on the box so he can kick it out.

McDaniel needs to start and get more minutes. Needs experience. Michigan needs to develop a point guard.

Last edited:
Great defense they still hit the long three. Jett misses his long three. That?s probably the ball game have to foul now.

Team just can?t win these close games. Getting better I think. We just can?t hit the clutch three yet .
Kentucky has a freshmen go 4 for 4 from three. Dang.

Last edited:
Both teams poor shooting free throw line .

Kentucky 73 Michigan 69 Final

Would have been nice to pick up one of these games this week. Feels like the team is improving, but need to start getting Ws.

Back