Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs Maryland

I can't imagine the university will terminate Howard mid season, so I hope he has the grace to just resign come the end of the year to focus on his health issues. This has just gone to depths that are below putrid. If the football team hadn't distracted everybody from all this the outcry would be much more vocal to see him gone.

Little things like guarding the hot three point shooter. Stop going underneath and get over the top of the screen. Ok so they are gassed. Whose fault is that at roster construction ?
It?s Howard fault they are so poor. It is really sad to watch how far down they have fallen.
Hopefully next game right !

Just like I said, it's on Juwan and his staff. The roster is terrible.

A new coach isn't just going to magically fix the issues. This is a bigger problem with Michigan and NIL and portal restraints. We can't recruit any portal guys who aren't a grad transfer or a freshman who is willing to erase every credit he earned at his prior school. NIL is not remotely competitive with schools that want a competitive basketball program.

I hope we can find someone to turn the ship around, but I don't know who is getting that done, or who even wants to attempt it, when they have to operate with both hands tied behind their back. I'd say Dutch out at San Diego State, but him and Juwan are so tight that I'm not sure he'd come if Juwan is canned. He's also 64 years old.

I can't imagine the university will terminate Howard mid season, so I hope he has the grace to just resign come the end of the year to focus on his health issues. This has just gone to depths that are below putrid. If the football team hadn't distracted everybody from all this the outcry would be much more vocal to see him gone.

He doesn't deserve to be terminated mid-season. He's a program legend, has won a B1G championship, taken us to the Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16s, and he is coming off of life saving heart surgery that forced him to miss all offseason prep.

If they wanted to can Martelli right meow, fire away. Pretty clear a shitload of horrendous habits were allowed while he was in charge and Juwan was recovering.

He doesn't deserve to be terminated mid-season. He's a program legend, has won a B1G championship, taken us to the Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16s, and he is coming off of life saving heart surgery that forced him to miss all offseason prep.

If they wanted to can Martelli right meow, fire away. Pretty clear a shitload of horrendous habits were allowed while he was in charge and Juwan was recovering.

I didn't mean to imply I was hoping the University terminate Howard immediately. I was just trying to envision how this can end in the most amicable way possible for all parties involved. You cited Howard's accomplishments yet all of them occurred his first couple of years with Beilein's recruits (Hunter, Brooks, Livers, Wagner etc). If he is unhealthy that just adds to what I said that he should retire to let someone else try to right this sinking ship.

Howard is not a program legend in my opinion by the way. He is part of a fantastic group of players known as the Fab Five but he was nowhere close to the star of that team. A Michigan man through and through I like the guy, but he's not a legend by any stretch of the imagination. Save that for guys like Cazzie, and Rice.

I didn't mean to imply I was hoping the University terminate Howard immediately. I was just trying to envision how this can end in the most amicable way possible for all parties involved. You cited Howard's accomplishments yet all of them occurred his first couple of years with Beilein's recruits (Hunter, Brooks, Livers, Wagner etc). If he is unhealthy that just adds to what I said that he should retire to let someone else try to right this sinking ship.

Howard is not a program legend in my opinion by the way. He is part of a fantastic group of players known as the Fab Five but he was nowhere close to the star of that team. A Michigan man through and through I like the guy, but he's not a legend by any stretch of the imagination. Save that for guys like Cazzie, and Rice.

Um Juwan has the best March Madness performance in Michigan history short of March Madness record holding Glen Rice. He is a legend. Dude was an All-American for a reason and the Fab Five literally doesn't happen without him. He brought that recruiting class together.

I know you didn't mean to imply he should be fired mid-season. Didn't mean to come off projecting you saying that.

Recruits are a little off. Hunter was a Juwan recruit. Franz was cemented by Juwan, but JB gets some credit bc of Moe. Livers is the real JB glue that helped Juwan. Brooks was broken before his development after JB left. Dude would barely take an open 3. Our best team under Juwan also had Mike Smith and Chaundee Brown who were purely brought in by Juwan.

Just to lay out how awesome Juwan was in March Madness of the 93-94 season:

29 PPG
12.8 RPG
1.5 SPG
66? FG

Um Juwan has the best March Madness performance in Michigan history short of March Madness record holding Glen Rice. He is a legend. Dude was an All-American for a reason and the Fab Five literally doesn't happen without him. He brought that recruiting class together.

I know you didn't mean to imply he should be fired mid-season. Didn't mean to come off projecting you saying that.

Recruits are a little off. Hunter was a Juwan recruit. Franz was cemented by Juwan, but JB gets some credit bc of Moe. Livers is the real JB glue that helped Juwan. Brooks was broken before his development after JB left. Dude would barely take an open 3. Our best team under Juwan also had Mike Smith and Chaundee Brown who were purely brought in by Juwan.

If you ask any casual Michigan fan to name their top Michigan basketball players of all time I guarantee you nobody names Howard in their top 5 names. He was a wonderful player for the University but he's not a legend I'm sorry. And yes he had one great coaching year when the team was led by Franz Wagner (whom you admitted probably came here because of Mo/JB), as well as Livers. Smith and Brown were transfers so Howard didn't do jack to develop them. I thought Dickinson was a JB recruit but I can admit I was wrong on that one.

If anyone recalls my history of posts regarding Dickinson they'll know I have no love lost for that guy; I think he's the most overrated player in Michigan basketball history, and if we have Juwan to thank for him then that's another strike against him in my personal book. He was a piece of shit and a chump when it comes to leadership and playing defense.

I have no clue what you're watching these days that gives you hope with this man as the head coach but I just don't see it. The team has gotten progressively worse under his tenure and now they're approaching laughingstock status. You posted on this very thread that our bench this year is "unplayable", so that's not exactly a ringing endorsement on recruitment is it?

Not interested in gliding into another Brian Ellerbe or Tommy Amaker era here.

Maybe this will be the same story as Harbaugh because I was one of the guys in 2020 who wanted him gone too :)

I would love to be wrong about Howard too.

Just to lay out how awesome Juwan was in March Madness of the 93-94 season:

29 PPG
12.8 RPG
1.5 SPG
66? FG

great numbers but a 4 game sample size in which we didn't win a damn thing. does not constitute "legend" status by any stretch.

Well hopefully Howard can turn it around like Jim did. But he needs to figure out his recruiting fast.

So he kinda fucked up, but not really?

I don?t know if you know what the issue is with Dug, but it?s his academic progress. He didn?t beat up his girlfriend or anything like that.

I?m not his professor or his academic guidance counselor. I?ll leave the best route going forward for the young man up to the experts.

I don?t know if you know what the issue is with Dug, but it?s his academic progress. He didn?t beat up his girlfriend or anything like that.

I?m not his professor or his academic guidance counselor. I?ll leave the best route going forward for the young man up to the experts.

I'd think with UM's strict admissions, grades wouldn't be a problem.

I do like the custom punishment precedent set. Like maybe the next time Howard assaults someone, only suspend him for the weekday that he committed the act. If it happens on a Tuesday night game, just don't let him coach Tuesdays anymore.

Last edited:
I'd think with UM's strict admissions, grades wouldn't be a problem.

I do like the custom punishment precedent set. Like maybe the next time Howard assaults someone, only suspend him for the weekday that he committed the act. If it happens on a Tuesday night game, just don't let him coach Tuesdays anymore.

I don?t know that it?s really a punishment, or supposed to be. He?s a student athlete; it seems to be a ?meet in the middle? way to bring him up to snuff as a student. We?ll see if it works.

The Howard event happened on a weekend day; I think a Sunday. There are not a lot of college basketball games on Tuesdays.

Back