Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs St. John's

thewolverines24

After a pair of home blowouts, Michigan heads on the road this week for its first high-major test against St. John?s at Madison Square Garden (6:30 p.m., FS1).

KEYS

Rebounding: St. John?s offensive rebounding ability is the most intimidating part of the scout. Michigan has looked solid on the glass this year but hasn?t been tested against a team of this caliber. Similarly, Michigan looks like it has the potential to be an excellent offensive-rebounding team in its own right, while SJU has looked vulnerable on the defensive glass.

Test of depth: Michigan has been touting its ?depth by versatility,? but this game will tell us how real that depth is. The individual battles at the 1, 4, and 5 are all awesome, but the Wolverines will need something from their bench ? especially if there?s any foul trouble. Nimari Burnett will have to play point guard for a stretch, Will Tschetter needs to provide more good minutes, George Washington III will play, and it would be a great time for Tray Jackson to get going.

Ball screen defense: Michigan?s pick-and-roll defense has shown some notable cracks early this year. The Wolverines haven?t been perfect with their communication on that end of the court, and it hasn?t mattered because the offense has been terrific. It will matter tonight, and Michigan will have to have its best effort defending the ball screen this season.

BOTTOM LINE

This game is challenging to preview because neither team knows what?s real.

Olivier Nkamhoua and Chris Ledlum look awesome to start the season; only one will be as confident at 9 p.m. tonight. Michigan?s wings and forwards are shooting it well, but shooting it well in the Garden is a different challenge.

This matchup isn?t about the stats or results on paper right now; it is about which stats will still be on paper in a couple of weeks. Tonight, we start to find out.

KenPom pegs Michigan as a 77-76 favorite, giving the Wolverines a 52% chance at remaining undefeated. Vegas sees things differently, with the Red Storm favored by 2.5 points.

GO BLUE!

The adoration of Rick Pitino while a guy like Harbaugh gets treated like shit shows how stupid the NCAA and media are.

The adoration of Rick Pitino while a guy like Harbaugh gets treated like shit shows how stupid the NCAA and media are.

The ominous thing is it says just how deep the corruption goes and how many are rotten...

These guys don't care about banging cheap whores and working through sleazy bagmen to get recruits, no that's excusable. It's the guy talking about his chickens and mowing his own lawn who makes them look bad...

I don't want to get too excited, but we look a lot better this year, offensively at least. everybody is hitting shots

I'll take a 10 pt lead at the half! We played the last minute well there.

This is the first game I've seen. I keep forgetting I have this Mexican TV app that has practically every channel in it.

You can tell this team is different. More mature and really enjoy playing with each other.

Hunter wasn't a good leader and Jett was one foot in the NBA all season. Never could consistently come together with a ton of youth surrounding that.

T-Will is playing so much better. Super happy all the work he did to retool his shot is paying off.

I'll be honest that I still don't know half of the players. I know their names, I guess, but I couldn't tell you who is who. I'm impressed. Burnett and Nkamhoua (spellling) are impressive and everyone else seems a lot improved, especially McDaniel.

st. johns isn't playing well, but this game has become an absolute ass kicking

I am firmly in the camp that believes Dickinson leaving is addition by subtraction. For all his talents I think he brought a lot of negative qualities to the team especially lack of leadership and maturity.

I hope to be proved right and see this team be far more successful than last year. So far so good.

Stuffed Pitino in a trash can tonight. Right where he belongs. Go Blue!

3-0!

Last edited:
That was our 11th straight win in Madison Square Garden

Wow.

Maybe Michigan should leave the crooked and corrupt B1G and join the ACC.

I doubt the Knicks have ever won 11 straight at the Garden.

Check that; the year Dave DeBusschere left the Pistons and joined the Knicks - he wrote a sports diary about that season ?The Open Man? - they set some kind of winning streak record that season.

So maybe then.

Sweet
Had to miss the game but I have it on dvr. Nice win! Plus it was a blow out !

McDaniels is so fast.

Back