Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

How about some Wayne St Love

biggunsbob

This is why I love division ll. A PLAYOFF TO DETERMINE A CHAMPION.

Wayne St. of of Detroit was 8-3 and their coach did not think they were going to get a bid so they were not even watching the selection show.. Well they did and four road games later they are in the Dll Championship next week.

ARTICLE from the NCAA.com
Warriors beat fourth consecutive higher seed to reach title game.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Wayne State (Mich.) stretched its road winning streak in the playoffs to four games by recording a 21-14 at Winston-Salem State Saturday afternoon.

The Warriors (12-3 overall) struck quickly scoring just 76 seconds into the contest. Senior Jon Robinson returned a short kickoff 17 yards to the WSU 46. Senior Josh Renel had runs of 7 and 22 yards, and following an incomplete pass, Renel took a screen pass from junior quarterback Mickey Mohner 25 yards down the left side into the end zone.

The next three drives ended in punts until a Wayne State interception gave the Rams (13-1 overall) the ball at the WSU 40. However the WSSU drive ended on a fourth down incompletion.

The Warriors then drove 80 yards in 12 plays with Mohner scoring on a one-yard keeper on fourth down. Senior wide receiver Troy Burrell had catches of 15 and 28 yards on the drive.

Another Ram drive concluded in WSU territory on a fourthdown incompletion. WSSU finished the game just 1 for 5 on fourth down.

Winston-Salem went 57 yards in six plays following a WSU punt just before intermission to cut the Wayne State lead to 14-7. Kameron Smith tossed a 26-yard scoring pass to Jahuann Butler on a 3rd-and-14.

After allowing the Rams two first downs on the opening drive of the second half, the Warrior defense stepped up and forced a punt.

On WSSU's ensuing possession, Smith fumbled on a fake handoff and Andrew Matt recovered inside the 10 returning the ball to the WSSU 1-yard line.

Fullback Chet Privett scored on the very next play pushing the Warrior lead to 21-7.

The Rams nearly answered back with a 1st-and-goal from the WSU 2 but Nicholas Cooper had back-to-back rushes for minus 4 yards and minus 6 yards. Junior Aaron Cornett broke up a third-down pass while Smith's fourth down pass to Tehyvn Brantley was dropped near the goal line.

Wayne State's next possession ended in an interception with Malcolm Rowe returning it 45 yards to the WSU 5. Cooper scored on a one-yard plunge on fourth down making it a seven-point contest at 21-14 with 10:34 left.

After three consecutive punts (two by WSU and one by Winston-Salem), the host Rams had the ball at their own six yard-line with no timeouts and 2:04 on the clock.

WSSU drove just into Warrior territory but freshman cornerback Gerren DuHart batted down a fourth-down pass sending the Warrior sideline into a frenzy.

Wayne State will be looking for the school's first football national championship on Dec. 17 in an 11 a.m. ET kickoff on ESPN2.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-12-10/wayne-st-mich-continues-road-roll

So after WSU defeats WSSU in the semifinals, who does WSU play for the championship? WSSSU?

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]So after WSU defeats WSSU in the semifinals, who does WSU play for the championship? WSSSU?

no. The institute of WUSS.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
[quote="TinselWolverine":dr29yvhh]So after WSU defeats WSSU in the semifinals, who does WSU play for the championship? WSSSU?

no. The institute of WUSS.[/quote:dr29yvhh]

That's funny.

Nice to see Wayne State making some noise, 4 straight road playoff victories is quite a feat. Bring home the ship!

This is really a cinderella story, gotta love it.

Did some research and saw that they were playing this season for Cortez Smith, a player who was shot and killed before the season started.

This has all the makings for a dream season, and I'll be watching the d-2 championship game, that's for sure.

Ah... Wayne State.

I exist because it exists (my parents met there).

[color=#551A8B said:
BestIsBest[/color]]Nice to see Wayne State making some noise, 4 straight road playoff victories is quite a feat. Bring home the ship!

This is really a cinderella story, gotta love it.

Did some research and saw that they were playing this season for Cortez Smith, a player who was shot and killed before the season started.

This has all the makings for a dream season, and I'll be watching the d-2 championship game, that's for sure.

Yes they talked about that in the game yesterday.. I was watchingthe game on ESPN3 on my computer.. I think the kid was trying to go to the aid of someone getting robbed and was shot in Downtown Detroit..
(I think)

Give the Warriors some love.... I mean their coach did not even think they were going to get a bid.. This is a true Cinderella story.. I love Dll playoffs. (Being a Grand Valley St fan has really shown mean what a playoff system is all about...Which is fun...) Nothing beats a set of brackets for a sports championship.

You have to give it up for the Gorillas even though I want WSU to win...There is some really good Dll football in the state of Michigan.. Grand valley St. is 4-2 in Dll championship games..

My coworker went to Delta State which the Pittsburg State Gorillas beat to make it to the championship game. Would have been cool to have his team play Wayne State.

He's well aware of Grand Valley State's program from years past.

I've been *ahem* a Wayne State fan since they were called the Tartars. The rest of you are *COUGH* all frontrunners. *COUGH* *HAAAK* *LOOKS DOWN*

smayschmouthfootball said:
I've been *ahem* a Wayne State fan since they were called the Tartars. The rest of you are *COUGH* all frontrunners. *COUGH* *HAAAK* *LOOKS DOWN*

I'm glad they didn't change to the Rainbow Warriors.
laugh.png

I've got another coworker who played at Boston College, but received an offer from Hawaii. He said he just couldn't go play for a team known as the Rainbow Warriors.

I should have specified earlier that the first coworker played at Delta, not just attended. He's my height, 6'2", but weighs in at 306 right now, 320 in his playing days.

I remember my dad telling me about the "Tartars."

As a kid, I thought that had something to do with tartar sauce.

Apparently the Tartars were too merciless a people to emulate on the athletic fields, so a more generic "Warriors" was selected.

Apparently the Tartars were too merciless a people to emulate on the athletic fields, so a more generic "Warriors" was selected.

I think it has more to do with Americans increasing stupidity/lack of historical knowledge. They probably got tired of having to explain their mascot to people.

I wasn't sure if they were Mongol or Turkic; according to Wikipedia, they are Turkic. Also, it's technically "TATAR." "TARTAR" is a western European mispronunciation.

Also, here is a particularly fine looking Tatar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsou

Is this really an argument for a playoff or against? A cindarella story is nice and all, but how can you say some team that really didn't do well all season, but has played well for a few games in a row now deserves to play for the championship? It devalues the regular season...

If you're talking about a playoff for the FBS, it's totally irrelevent. There are a lot fewer teams. Here WSU had to win 3 regional games, and a semifinal to make the Championship. A playoff in the FBS wouldn't need that many games... just have the champs from every BCS conference play + 2 at large, (like Alabama and Boise St.). The question of whether or not anyone "deserves" it shouldn't even come up, except for maybe the Big Least champ.

this isn't really a Cinderella story though: WSU went 8-3, with 3 close losses, 1 in OT. They barely made the D-II playoffs, and all the teams they've beaten finished with either 1 or 2 losses, so it's not like "everybody" gets a shot. They were a good team.

Back