Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Interesting conversation with Austin Ekeler about the Lions backfield

jared

I know for the majority the argument on this board is "should we have drafted Gibbs so high" rather than "why isn't he playing more", but I thought this was pretty insightful as to way Monty is getting most of the workload.

If anyone is qualified to weigh in on this from the outside it's Ekeler.

Edit: Forgot the link. I'm old.

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/1709601398155784204?s=20

Last edited:
I was a high school all-city running back so I'm qualified to say ya..... montgomery is better lmao.

All kidding aside what ekelar is saying makes total sense...montgomery is setting up his blocks better which enables him to run thru partial tackles instead of gibbs running straight into tacklers that haven't been covered up. LBs play downhill vs the run and the hope is you get guys in the way. Running too direct makes it easier on them so they don't have to shed.

To bens credit i did see him give Gibbs alot of counters last game... maybe because of this... maybe just a coincidence.

Last edited:
I was a high school all-city running back so I'm qualified to say ya..... montgomery is better lmao.

All kidding aside what ekelar is saying makes total sense...montgomery is setting up his blocks better which enables him to run thru partial tackles instead of gibbs running straight into tacklers that haven't been covered up. LBs play downhill vs the run and the hope is you get guys in the way. Running too direct makes it easier on them so they don't have to shed.

To bens credit i did see him give Gibbs alot of counters last game... maybe because of this... maybe just a coincidence.

I agree. I don't mind the usage of Montgomery vs Gibbs 4 games in. The NFL is a different beast and it takes time to learn it, like any position. Look at ASB's first 8 games his rookie year vs his last 9 games. Totally different player.

My only issue with Gibbs' use is how we don't seem to let him operate in space.....ever. We heard all this about lining up as a slot WR.....screens.....off T runs......plays that let him use is open field ability. We hardly do any of that. We give him between the tackle runs, counters and trap plays. We don't throw ANYTHING his way that isn't a dump down....usually with him standing still at the point of the catch. 14 catches. 70 yards. 5.0 YPC.

He needs time to learn, yes, but I don't think we're putting him in the best positions to succeed, either.

Our offense as a whole has been more compact this year, it seems. Operating within 15 yards of the LOS most of the time.

I agree. I don't mind the usage of Montgomery vs Gibbs 4 games in. The NFL is a different beast and it takes time to learn it, like any position. Look at ASB's first 8 games his rookie year vs his last 9 games. Totally different player.

My only issue with Gibbs' use is how we don't seem to let him operate in space.....ever. We heard all this about lining up as a slot WR.....screens.....off T runs......plays that let him use is open field ability. We hardly do any of that. We give him between the tackle runs, counters and trap plays. We don't throw ANYTHING his way that isn't a dump down....usually with him standing still at the point of the catch. 14 catches. 70 yards. 5.0 YPC.

He needs time to learn, yes, but I don't think we're putting him in the best positions to succeed, either.

Our offense as a whole has been more compact this year, it seems. Operating within 15 yards of the LOS most of the time.

They do that theo Riddick circle route with him alot... he doesn't really create any seperation on it and the one time he did he dropped it.

There's been 3 or 4 times that the way they are lined up it would be just him and a lb and he'd smoke that lb on a wheel route. They haven't tried it yet though.

It also might be a trust thing. He's got two drops this year against 14 catches. If memory serves the one against the Seahawks was especially tough. It was toward the end of the first half and could have turned the game if he makes that catch. I think he'd still be running. I like the kid, and the future is bright, but it looks like they might be trying to ease him in a bit until he gets his legs under him.

Little used, and still on pace for more than 1,000 yards rushing and receiving. Is that #12 overall worthy? Probably not. Yet I still like the potential for those numbers to go up as the season progresses.

Gibbs questionable with hamstring injury this week

Little used, and still on pace for more than 1,000 yards rushing and receiving. Is that #12 overall worthy? Probably not. Yet I still like the potential for those numbers to go up as the season progresses.

With a 17 game season that is not impressive. At all. That's 58 yards/game.

But yes, the potential is there. Potential only wins you preseason talk and draft day high fives and ass slaps.

At some point he has to hit big plays to make his draft position pay off.

Gibbs questionable with hamstring injury this week

Super. Could be without Gibbs, ASB and Branch. Good thing we have JMo.....the coaching staff talks about him like he's a special olympic athlete. He's been in the system almost 2 fucking years and Ben still talks about him lining up in the right position and understanding route concepts and "If he's active".

Year 2 Minnesota was talking about if Justin Jefferson was one of the best of all time......and year 2 the Lions are talking about if JMo will be a healthy scratch because they can't trust him to know where to line up.

WOOOHOOOO!

Last edited:
Back