Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Internet Safety: Brave Browser

zyxt9

With all the creepy shit going on with the internet these days coupled with the information flying around since Trump was banned from the universe, I came across info about a new web browser called Brave which provides more personal security online.

I've been testing it out the past few days and it seems pretty solid. It handles things like Ad Blocking seemlessly, in fact I am not seeing Ads on DSF even though I didn't install any Ad Blocking Extensions or configure any settings with it yet.

My dislike for Big Tech is growing, though admittedly it is very difficult to completely eliminate it. I still have gmail, but I'm starting to use DuckDuckGo now for my internet searches. Someone I know who has a CISSP and is heavy into Internet Security has tested using DuckDuckGo while on the Brave Browser and after 1 search is now permanently switching to that as their Go To browser and search method. You lose all those bloody Google Ads mixed into your Search and it is more secure with your personal info.

While the vast majority of us have already posted too much personal info online already, it is never too late to make a change and stop putting so much out into the ether. This is not a tin-foil hat thing, it is just a smart internet self-protection thing. With the Microsoft Solarwinds situation and even Malwarebytes getting hacked recently, this is a neverending problem and at some point I imagine the Brave browser will get hacked and DuckDuckGo will suffer from DDOS attacks or something, so the entire thing may very well be moot...but I feel it is important to try and let as many people know about this as possible and each person can decide what is best for them.

If anyone has additional methods they wish to share, please do.

I've only recently heard about this, but I've been meaning to check it out. It's basic setup is supposed to be good and if you really want privacy it has TOR built in as an option.

Firefox has 'containers' where it won't allow cookies from one container to see activity in other containers. I have a container set up for Facebook and it's the only place I ever check Facebook.

Last edited:
What's this crypto angle? Anything sketchy there? And why, if this is the ex-CEO of Mozilla, is this built on chromium and not firefox?

I'll try it.

What's this crypto angle? Anything sketchy there? And why, if this is the ex-CEO of Mozilla, is this built on chromium and not firefox?

I'll try it.

I honestly do not have the answers to that, and it is a legit question. So far I have only really looked into how it does the Ad blocking and while DDG can obviously provide similar results in any browser, I just feel a little better not browsing in Chrome...though with this being built on chromium, it begs the question how different are they in reality.

I use Firefox now and then also, but I feel like they are a large enough % of the internet that hackers are targeting them to some extent. With Brave I think they are small enough that not many hackers are spending time targeting them, but as they grow I'm sure that will change. When it does (or hopefully before), I'll be shopping for yet another browser! lol

You don't have to do anything to get running with Tor. Install Brave, select private window with Tor, and you have Tor.

I've never really used Tor, but I did get it set up to see how difficult it was many years ago and it was a chore. This was nothing. Oh, I set up an Onion Pi once too, but quickly started over with that Pi to just make it play video.

Last edited:
Ads on DSF don't really bother me - it's the only site where I don't get ads for stuff I recently searched for online and often already bought (most likely from Amazon or Home Depot). there are no pop-ups I have to click through and what is there is very easy to ignore.

Ads on DSF don't really bother me - it's the only site where I don't get ads for stuff I recently searched for online and often already bought (most likely from Amazon or Home Depot). there are no pop-ups I have to click through and what is there is very easy to ignore.

It's not so much about that as having a less refined data model of me out there in who knows who's hands. And getting news that isn't targeted to my preferences as google sees fit.

You don't have to do anything to get running with Tor. Install Brave, select private window with Tor, and you have Tor.

I've never really used Tor, but I did get it set up to see how difficult it was many years ago and it was a chore. This was nothing. Oh, I set up an Onion Pi once too, but quickly started over with that Pi to just make it play video.

Agreed, anytime the hard programming pieces are replaced with User Friendly applications is a victory for society IMO as it allows those without the programming experience to have some of the ability of the programmers.

I see this quite a bit with IoT, especially in connecting up two different environments, such as Philips Hue and SmartThings. Sure you can use IFTTT, but when the two systems are joined by a pre-designed interface it makes it so much easier and more convenient which allows more people to use it. It is not as powerful and still has challenges, but better than nothing!

This forum doesn't play nice with Tor for long. It worked for a bit.

Access denied. Your IP address is blacklisted. If you feel this is in error please contact your hosting provider's abuse department.

This forum doesn't play nice with Tor for long. It worked for a bit.

Certainly a fly in the ointment in terms of using the Private Tor option. I have not seen this in the normal windows, but if wanting to hide the IP, or perhaps trying to sneak by one's business IT department, the Tor option might be...problematic.

I wonder how many sites have been designed to block Tor? Or is it maybe being blocked by another piece in the data stream?

Back