Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jake Butt Tweet on Harbaugh's demanding practices

Michchamp

This whole thing is pretty good, but I really like this part:

Our first spring ball as a team after he got hired he told us we needed to improve across the board (he was right). So per NCAA rules each team is allocated X amount of hours per week and the maximum per day was 4 hours.

Most teams set it up to be 1.5 hours of meetings and 2.5 hours of practice. Harbaugh told us you get better at football by playing football. So he confirmed all 4 hours could be spent on the field. Not only that, and here?s the grey area, it was 4 hours per each individual player.

So he divided the team into 2- an A and a B team. The B team would practice by themselves for two hours from 1-3 pm. Then the A team would join them from 3-5 for two hours. By then the individuals on the B team had completed their 4 hours, so the A team stayed out for the last 2 hours by themselves.

That meant the coaches were out for 6 hours total coaching both teams. We got an insane amount of reps.​

He drives himself and his coaches harder than he drives his players, which says a lot.

This whole thing is pretty good, but I really like this part:

Our first spring ball as a team after he got hired he told us we needed to improve across the board (he was right). So per NCAA rules each team is allocated X amount of hours per week and the maximum per day was 4 hours.

Most teams set it up to be 1.5 hours of meetings and 2.5 hours of practice. Harbaugh told us you get better at football by playing football. So he confirmed all 4 hours could be spent on the field. Not only that, and here?s the grey area, it was 4 hours per each individual player.

So he divided the team into 2- an A and a B team. The B team would practice by themselves for two hours from 1-3 pm. Then the A team would join them from 3-5 for two hours. By then the individuals on the B team had completed their 4 hours, so the A team stayed out for the last 2 hours by themselves.

That meant the coaches were out for 6 hours total coaching both teams. We got an insane amount of reps.​

Good on Coach.

It took a little longer than many hoped for - but in not that long, Harbaugh brought Michigan back to where Michigan fans want and expect - the B1G championship and knocking on the the of the NC.

Hopefully our team can cross that threshold this season.

EDIT: The word ?door? belongs there in the ?knocking on the? thing.

Last edited:
I remember he gave out shirts to the guys that didn't miss any time during the practice sessions. My brother in law coached Joe Bolden at Colerain High School and said he had nothing but positive things to say about Jim and he was one of the guys that got a shirt. Ironic that he's now working for OSU.

I remember he gave out shirts to the guys that didn't miss any time during the practice sessions. My brother in law coached Joe Bolden at Colerain High School and said he had nothing but positive things to say about Jim and he was one of the guys that got a shirt. Ironic that he's now working for OSU.

It ain?t that unusual. Harbaugh?s head coach at Michigan used to work for OSU.

It ain?t that unusual. Harbaugh?s head coach at Michigan used to work for OSU.

there used to be more overlap between the two. That guy's successor also worked for OSU. and went there & played ball, as a young lad.

things changed when OSU went over to the dark side in 2001.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back