Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jim Harbaugh Advocates for Revenue Sharing

thewolverines24

Smart man. Glad he's speaking out publicly about revenue sharing with players.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/20...nts-change-to-college-football-landscape.html

?As a former player and current coach, mentoring many of these student-athletes, what I want to do is be a voice for the student-athletes,? Harbaugh said. ?I want them to be treated with the respect and the dignity that they deserve. What I don?t understand is how the NCAA, television networks, conferences, universities and coaches can continue to pull in millions and in some cases billions of dollars in revenue off the efforts of college student-athletes across the country without providing enough opportunity to share in the ever-increasing revenues.

Last edited:
Smart man. Glad he's speaking out publicly about revenue sharing with players.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/20...nts-change-to-college-football-landscape.html

?As a former player and current coach, mentoring many of these student-athletes, what I want to do is be a voice for the student-athletes,? Harbaugh said. ?I want them to be treated with the respect and the dignity that they deserve. What I don?t understand is how the NCAA, television networks, conferences, universities and coaches can continue to pull in millions and in some cases billions of dollars in revenue off the efforts of college student-athletes across the country without providing enough opportunity to share in the ever-increasing revenues.

I wonder if he is only thinking of the football players or players on the non revenue sports?

I wonder if he is only thinking of the football players or players on the non revenue sports?

Why do you care about this so much? Like it's insane to me that whenever someone points out some injustice in society, "regular people" who are also screwed over by that unjustice reflexively defend it. totally falling for the disingenuous arguments put forth to explain it away by the professionals and spin doctors who create those arguments.

I'm also glad he's speaking out. He's come around on this issue, and seen it from all sides now, as a former star player and now coach.

As a Michigan fan though, I hate to think that this is only going to bring MORE NCAA shit down on us.

Why do you care about this so much? Like it's insane to me that whenever someone points out some injustice in society, "regular people" who are also screwed over by that unjustice reflexively defend it. totally falling for the disingenuous arguments put forth to explain it away by the professionals and spin doctors who create those arguments.

Since NIL started, I really don't care if they get paid. My question was if he was thinking it through. Does he feel that the non revenue sports "deserve" to get paid as well? He was talking about his athletes that he feels should share in the revenue they create. I would be all for the guys on the teams that generate the revenue getting paid. Then make the non revenue generating sports pay their way if they want to play.

Since NIL started, I really don't care if they get paid. My question was if he was thinking it through. Does he feel that the non revenue sports "deserve" to get paid as well? He was talking about his athletes that he feels should share in the revenue they create. I would be all for the guys on the teams that generate the revenue getting paid. Then make the non revenue generating sports pay their way if they want to play.

Okay? What about all the people making boatloads of money by forcing 17-23 year olds to spend 30-40 hours (or more) a week training, practicing and playing games for others entertainment in exchange for a "scholarship" that -by many accounts - barely covers tuition, and at many schools doesn't cover cost of living and fees and other incidentals, and by steering players to courses like "golf" and "football management" doesn't actually prepare most former players for any sort of meaningful career?

You've never had a problem with that... we can't ever mention the elephant in the room...

The former head of the NCAA called the "scholarship" thing a ruse; he devoted whole chapters in his book to how many schools misdirected scholarship money for other athletic department programs, shortchanging the "student athletes" from even the full benefit of the meager exchange they were supposed to be getting.

And they'd engage in all sorts of other scams like using federal grant money instead of athletic department money to fund scholarships, and use the athletic department as a slush fund to enrich themselves and local boosters/contractors.

Okay? What about all the people making boatloads of money by forcing 17-23 year olds to spend 30-40 hours (or more) a week training, practicing and playing games for others entertainment in exchange for a "scholarship" that -by many accounts - barely covers tuition, and at many schools doesn't cover cost of living and fees and other incidentals, and by steering players to courses like "golf" and "football management" doesn't actually prepare most former players for any sort of meaningful career?

You've never had a problem with that... we can't ever mention the elephant in the room...

we talking football & basketball or women's volleyball and tennis?

we talking football & basketball or women's volleyball and tennis?

All of the above? The issue is that some share of the revenue generated by these sports should go to the players and it's not. And scholarships are not the answer, and have not been for decades.

I don't like when players get paid. Free education at good school is good enough. I'll take a bench role that never plays in lui of my loan payments.

Free education at good school is good enough. I'll take a bench role that never plays in lui of my loan payments.

that's probably how 95% of scholarship athletes feel. It's the other 5% of them that feel that they deserve more. But, to be fair, it's 5% that generate all of the revenue for the athletic programs.

Well, I think he said he wanted to leave that all to lawyers and bean counters and other geeks and needs.

I think Coach Harbaugh fancies himself a visionary, not so much a detail guy.

Also I don?t remember any Kalel running the ball for Michigan.

My guess is he would be super.

that's probably how 95% of scholarship athletes feel. It's the other 5% of them that feel that they deserve more. But, to be fair, it's 5% that generate all of the revenue for the athletic programs.

- ish.

I don?t think there?s that many full schollies to non-revenue sports; i.e; not football or basketball.

I remember when Michigan baseball went on its run to a national championship game a few years back it came up that there were fewer full schollies on the baseball team than people might have thought.

Well, I think he said he wanted to leave that all to lawyers and bean counters and other geeks and needs.

I think Coach Harbaugh fancies himself a visionary, not so much a detail guy.

Also I don?t remember any Kalel running the ball for Michigan.

My guess is he would be super.

EDIT: I guess he fumbled in the TCU game.

Maybe not so super after all.

Back