Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mark Schlissel to step down as UM President in 2023

Michchamp

Link to article in the Freep.

He's leaving a year earlier than his contract provided, but still getting paid. This is not much of big deal, but presumably he and whatever regents still back him were against any early departure, and those who wanted him gone, wanted him out earlier. Either way, this is definitely a black mark on his resume though, although he could probably just retire after this (he's 63).

Can't really rush an important (in theory) hiring decision like this, or you end up with the University President equivalent of RichRodriguez... who I assume is Gordon Gee or someone like him

I assume there's a lot more than is being reported; article only cites issues around his push to re-open the university during COVID, his handling of former provost Philbert's sexual harassment issues, and failing to keep the board appraised of a vague real estate initiative that was a possible conflict of interest for one of the regents (Illitch)

I generally don't have a good impression of him. He seems to step in it more than his predecessor, and doesn't really bring anything spectacular to the table. The GoBlue Guarantee is nice, but I can't imagine there are a lot of UM admittees that can actually take advantage of it.

Is Lee Bollinger available? Everyone liked him.

Back