Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mccarthy Announced as next week's starter

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
In post game conference, Jim made the announcement. He did not name him the permanent starter, but he did give him the UCONN game.

Edit- apparently he said JJ will be the starter moving forward.

Yeah, I feel bad for Cade, but this is obviously the right decision.

He just didn't respond to the pressure... But he's still a team captain and will have a role to play. Hopefully he can get over his disappointment and deliver for the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a long time since we've had a QB where I'm not worried where the ball is going to go every time he drops back.

Maybe not since Jake Rudock in 2015. Speight was pretty solid in 2016, but that team was so stacked he didn't have to do much.

I guess by 2019, Shea Patterson was much improved, and usually made good decisions. But the losses in big games still hurt my overall impression of him & what would happen every time he dropped back

I get the sympathy people have for Cade. He beat OSU for the first time in 10 years, he won the first big ten title in nearly 2 decades. He was a leader that stuck around after the disaster of 2020. That being said, he got the starting job the same way. Joe Milton was playing like shit, Cade came in and played well. It would be unfair to the other 100+ players on the team to continue to start him out of loyalty when he isn't the best player. JJ is 15/16 on the year and the incompletion is a drop. The team has scored a TD on every possession he's played with the exception of 1, which included the aforementioned drop and subsequent fumble by Bell. The offense is as explosive as any offense in the country with JJ, with Cade they struggled to score in the red zone all of last year (which was the main reason for the MSU loss last year) and they had spells where it was difficult to move the ball.

JJ showed he can make big plays against a couple of lesser teams. But he is talented and hungry. I have no issue with making him the starter. But don't put all the responsibility for the stalling offense on Cade. The play calling in the redzone was not very good. The coaches bear a lot of the responsibility too.

JJ showed he can make big plays against a couple of lesser teams. But he is talented and hungry. I have no issue with making him the starter. But don't put all the responsibility for the stalling offense on Cade. The play calling in the redzone was not very good. The coaches bear a lot of the responsibility too.

The play-calling in the red zone was made based on who was playing QB. Defenses didn't have to account for Cade as a runner. They also knew that he would not try to throw to the wide side of the field and didn't want to throw over the middle. Cade held the vast majority of the fault for the red zone struggles last year.

Let's just be happy for what we have and hope McCarthy has matured enough to read defenses better so he can torch them in the passing game, because he's not going to be able to run like that and survive in the Big Ten. Or even win in the Big Ten.

-signed... every Michigan fan that remembers the RichRod years, and also what happened in 2012 when Denard Robinson inevitably got hurt.

Its the right decision. Cade was Ok but he managed the game. JJ has the ability to take over the game if need be. Doesn't mean he will do that successfully every game, but the ability is there.

Back