Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan football names 5 team captains

sggatecl

Detroit City FC
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Cade McNamara (Quarterback)

Erick All (Tight End)

Ronnie Bell (Receiver)

Mazi Smith (Defensive Tackle)

Mike Sainristil (Nickel Back/Receiver)

So the big question, where is JJ transferring to?

I hope you're joking about JJ. I haven't heard any rumors he's considering a transfer, even as McNamara appears to have it locked up.

He's only a soph... he'd have at least two full seasons as starter if he remains, and look what happened to Dylan McCaffrey when he did the same dumb thing, instead of putting in the time.

I hope you're joking about JJ. I haven't heard any rumors he's considering a transfer, even as McNamara appears to have it locked up.

He's only a soph... he'd have at least two full seasons as starter if he remains, and look what happened to Dylan McCaffrey when he did the same dumb thing, instead of putting in the time.

No rumors. Just seems like the logical thing to do. JJ is going to get thrown in for read options and goal line situations. Taking hits in a limited role, risking injury before proving yourself properly for the NFL draft, when you have the convenience of the tranfser portal at your disposal? I dunno. I love JJ and I don't want him to leave but in this day and age, it seems pretty common that a QB would look for playing time elsewhere. Hopefully NIL takes care of him and he is cool waiting for his chance.

No rumors. Just seems like the logical thing to do. JJ is going to get thrown in for read options and goal line situations. Taking hits in a limited role, risking injury before proving yourself properly for the NFL draft, when you have the convenience of the tranfser portal at your disposal? I dunno. I love JJ and I don't want him to leave but in this day and age, it seems pretty common that a QB would look for playing time elsewhere. Hopefully NIL takes care of him and he is cool waiting for his chance.

Cade might be the captain, but everything I've read on The Athletic and On3 has indicated they fully expect the QB competition to continue through the non-conference games. It's not one or two people saying it, it's multiple sources close to the program. Many still believe JJ takes the job during the season. Biggest hurdle is cutting out the "young" mistakes. JJ, being only a true soph, is still prone to some of those right now. We all know Cade takes extremely good care of the ball and that's the difference right now.

Cade might be the captain, but everything I've read on The Athletic and On3 has indicated they fully expect the QB competition to continue through the non-conference games. It's not one or two people saying it, it's multiple sources close to the program. Many still believe JJ takes the job during the season. Biggest hurdle is cutting out the "young" mistakes. JJ, being only a true soph, is still prone to some of those right now. We all know Cade takes extremely good care of the ball and that's the difference right now.

I think Cade also has the respect of his teammates, which is huge, and matters a lot for team morale.

So Just plugging in JJ is not going to be the same as changing a dimmer lightbulb for a brighter one, and I don't think the fans that look at the big per-play numbers JJ puts up in limited action understand that anywhere near as well as Harbaugh does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Cade also has the respect of his teammates, which is huge, and matters a lot for team morale.

So Just plugging in JJ is not going to be the same as changing a dimmer lightbulb for a brighter one, and I don't think the fans that look at the big per-play numbers JJ puts up in limited action understand that anywhere near as well as Harbaugh does.

Do you honestly believe teammates don't respect JJ? I completely agree that Cade is a great leader, but it's not like JJ is some pariah.

I'm fine with however it shakes out. I will say if Cade starts taking and hitting the many open deep shots he checked down on last season, there's no way JJ can wrestle the job from him.

Do you honestly believe teammates don't respect JJ? I completely agree that Cade is a great leader, but it's not like JJ is some pariah.

I'm fine with however it shakes out. I will say if Cade starts taking and hitting the many open deep shots he checked down on last season, there's no way JJ can wrestle the job from him.

No, sorry, I'm not saying anything negative about JJ. I think if he puts in the time, he could be a great one.

I know nothing about him, other than what he does in playing time.

I'm just saying, deciding who wins the starting role isn't as simple as comparing QBR on the snaps they play, assuming JJ sees a substantial amount of PT.

I keep mentally comparing JJ to Dylan McCaffrey based on their playing style (both seem like tall, physically talented kids who want to hit a home run every time they have the ball, to mix in a baseball metaphor. but I know that's not fair. I haven't seen enough to know how JJ's career pans out. If he keeps his mouth shut and does his job when called upon for now, I'll be happy to admit he's nothing like McCaffrey. If he does sulk and transfer, then I think the comparison is apt.

Last edited by a moderator:
JJ also cost us a win against MSU...

So did many other players. The defense was dreadful in the second half. Cade had a chance to take the lead down 33-37 and didn't get it done. Got down to MSU's 38 and it went incomplete, complete to Anthony for 7 yards, incomplete (overthrew Sainristil open for TD), incomplete. Next drive Cade throws the game ending INT when they still had a chance to win.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/f86a8ae6-710a-44d0-b22a-09af1916f5d3

So did many other players. The defense was dreadful in the second half. Cade had a chance to take the lead down 33-37 and didn't get it done. Got down to MSU's 38 and it went incomplete, complete to Anthony for 7 yards, incomplete (overthrew Sainristil open for TD), incomplete. Next drive Cade throws the game ending INT when they still had a chance to win.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/f86a8ae6-710a-44d0-b22a-09af1916f5d3

Yeah, but his lousy fumble came while we were winning, and lead to MSU's go-ahead score.

I'm not going to say that was a team loss or blame the defense... MSU played their best game of the year & took a lot of gutsy shots, and they all paid off. They won't be able to do that again.

No, sorry, I'm not saying anything negative about JJ. I think if he puts in the time, he could be a great one.

I know nothing about him, other than what he does in playing time.

I'm just saying, deciding who wins the starting role isn't as simple as comparing QBR on the snaps they play, assuming JJ sees a substantial amount of PT.

I keep mentally comparing JJ to Dylan McCaffrey based on their playing style (both seem like tall, physically talented kids who want to hit a home run every time they have the ball, to mix in a baseball metaphor. but I know that's not fair. I haven't seen enough to know how JJ's career pans out. If he keeps his mouth shut and does his job when called upon for now, I'll be happy to admit he's nothing like McCaffrey. If he does sulk and transfer, then I think the comparison is apt.

I don't see JJ and Dylan all that alike. JJ had a WAY better true freshman year and is clearly a more talented player. Better arm strength, accuracy, and better in the run game. Dylan was 8/15 for 126 yards his freshman year at UM, so not close to JJ. They don't have a similar recruiting profile either. JJ was a top 25 recruit and Dylan was 123rd. Both scouted a tremendous amount, so there's weight to that. Dylan also played at a much lower level of competition in high school and didn't perform as well when he hit the all-star scene during his recruiting.

I don't see JJ and Dylan all that alike. JJ had a WAY better true freshman year and is clearly a more talented player. Better arm strength, accuracy, and better in the run game. Dylan was 8/15 for 126 yards his freshman year at UM, so not close to JJ. They don't have a similar recruiting profile either. JJ was a top 25 recruit and Dylan was 123rd. Both scouted a tremendous amount, so there's weight to that. Dylan also played at a much lower level of competition in high school and didn't perform as well when he hit the all-star scene during his recruiting.

I did not know all that, but thanks for providing those details.

Yeah, but his lousy fumble came while we were winning, and lead to MSU's go-ahead score.

I'm not going to say that was a team loss or blame the defense... MSU played their best game of the year & took a lot of gutsy shots, and they all paid off. They won't be able to do that again.

Fumble was a huge turnover. We had them stopped twice after the fumble and kept their drive alive with offside penalties. So those were really bad as well.

The defense got torched after the first quarter. Giving up 37 points in 3 quarters is bad no matter how you want to slice it.

A QB competition is fine as long as it doesn't turn into the shit show that was Speight, O'Korn, and Peters. They all sucked in their own ways and I don't think any provided the needed team leadership.

A QB competition is fine as long as it doesn't turn into the shit show that was Speight, O'Korn, and Peters. They all sucked in their own ways and I don't think any provided the needed team leadership.

yeah, but Speight was solid in 2016, albeit with a strong supporting cast.

I blame that situation more on the dysfunctional coaching duo of Tim Drevno & Pep Hamilton. I'm so glad those clowns are gone, along with Gattis now. For the first time in a long time I feel like the staff won't be a drag on performance.

HHneIwxGmIpgl33ysUL2LXZboM_mdEaUb5tmENlv61GFjhSgjIq-wa-oiU45xTPCH7QbP4DE29I7-b5rwPD_lc_0wWN0zc4_FLfhRXYMbnn8vnUljK-tHgmQnkNFQAw31VbABnicFsfgmpquR4fxV5XA5xWGqvefgMjNn259_0GGjNQETBt7j4xBty_MIzcSXSz7EmS8kIL3-SOsVGGGew_JENRoJluKOKV1MwglNq96uRCjmFggHvwWneu35ktfaz7t23V4fk2YSY0jfQ5Sy2LaaOLqOFk1r6UYhOxP67ZnuQwhYW_zss73iFtzrABwahLo_sIfW1599c22b-NZPyqZ6MNH5o-grmFzWwdRIr3l3-qeJXUqJLctAen9Q4O03RFjf_GBZaJmiQIdbY6apzPaTONOUSAlNgHGkufj6DXptN4kmyyTT_aTTKuFQSHAAyjm1hLiTnBbkkbzVelJO7m_EDFtl7bJcq1pudKMBxVTcZ1FhtYnmST9iMcFVeoGt8KABjUi2r0H34kV3K38RyZJmaYXdeWHPOqEX1rgrEIM9meDre9pbqdfSb4qg8pBhSLmP7uzuUJktAsUdGnzdnV0Mj_Ja7nq-uZfbcA-4imZ66mQ_Bs-Q8T5lTOUQ7gmqSd1asOCpB9gDPzhtXhwWapJtz45Ek0eHNTyk4i1M8Vk61cW5dfgfGrmil6abagSimk3Gz-CaiCopauGtABAEpdGxbCrEO2oLOZZyaaOEuDswczd0dFB8fIJC8eSf1o=w501-h625-no

Last edited:
Back