Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan Football Recruiting 2023

3-Star DB D'Juan Waller committed over the weekend.

https://247sports.com/player/djuan-waller-jr-46133841/

From 247: "Very long, tall and has lined up in different places defensively. Best projection right now is as a safety but could get opportunities to play cornerback or grow into a hybrid backer. Will come down hill and likes contact. Shows short-area twitch and change of direction at his size. Pure long speed is a bit of an unknown. Also played receiver and shows solid ball skills. On the raw side but has worked on his technique and is developing. Has a higher ceiling and versatility."

Shit. We missed on Dude Person...

I don't care about anyone else. I was here to cheer for him for the next 4 years

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got 4* WR out of Alabama. Bama gave him an offer and he still went with us. Damn. Karmelo English. 5-11 180

Michigan got both guys they were hoping to pick up yesterday with English and Hill both committing. Did not lose anyone yesterday either (Etta was the only one that I think was questionable). Looks like all commits signed yesterday. Still in the running for 5 star Nick Harbor who isn't committing/signing until February.

With the 2 late additions this actually turned out to be a solid class. It's not flashy and not ranked super high, but the kids they got all have a ton of upside and they got some guys like Cabana & Hill that could turn out to be really really good (e.g. all conference) type players. With the portal guys they've brought in and the limited amount of attrition expected this team should be the favorites to win the Big Ten and go to the CFP again next season.

Davis pickup was big, just wish it had been earlier so he could've helped bring in other recruits. I also did hear this may be a deal-breaker for 2025 No 1 overall Bryce Underwood from Bellville. Hopefully that's not the case but it's nice to have a 5 star QB on the way with JJ likely gone this year.

That moves the class up to #3 in the 247 rankings behind only UGA (not catching, already 3 5 stars) and LSU. With Davis in the fold it's likely there will be more commitments in the near future.

Some positive news on the Bryce Underwood (No 1 QB in 2025) front. Sounds like Jadyn Davis being in the class ahead of him is no longer an issue for him and Kirk Campbell has turned this recruitment completely around.

Also here's some commitments that we've missed:
Name - Position - Overall rank/position rank
Brady Prieskorn - TE - 55/2
Jordan Marshall - RB - 80/6
Andrew Sprague - OT - 154/9
Blake Frazier - OT - 217/20
Jerod Smith - DL - 286/30
Ben Roebuck - OT - 456/32
Jake Guarnera - IOL - 461/28
Channing Goodwin - WR - 512/72 - Jadyn Davis' Teammate

It will be interesting to see if "Schemmy-gate" affects recruiting progress. Or if that was a one-day story.

It will be interesting to see if "Schemmy-gate" affects recruiting progress. Or if that was a one-day story.

I can't imagine he was involved in any recruiting in that few days of employment, so I assume not.

MSU fans on twitter were trying to spin this into "See? We told you all along Michigan, everything about it, all its people, and all its fans were all evil racists."

I don't think that got much traction.

Kinda like their attempt to paint Michigan as an anti-semitic institution because Donovan Edwards liked a Kanye West tweet.

I can't imagine he was involved in any recruiting in that few days of employment, so I assume not.

MSU fans on twitter were trying to spin this into "See? We told you all along Michigan, everything about it, all its people, and all its fans were all evil racists."

I don't think that got much traction.

Kinda like their attempt to paint Michigan as an anti-semitic institution because Donovan Edwards liked a Kanye West tweet.

Well, I expect that the MSU recruiters will look for opportunities to leverage this privately with selected recruits who are also considering Michigan, if that is the case. Same with all the other competing programs.

EDIT: "[OUR PROGRAM] would have been more thorough in our vetting process and we don't hire 'legacies' because of name recognition. If [THEIR PROGRAM] makes these small mistakes, what of the larger issues?"

Last edited:
Well, I expect that the MSU recruiters will look for opportunities to leverage this privately with selected recruits who are also considering Michigan, if that is the case. Same with all the other competing programs.

EDIT: "[OUR PROGRAM] would have been more thorough in our vetting process and we don't hire 'legacies' because of name recognition. If [THEIR PROGRAM] makes these small mistakes, what of the larger issues?"

They will certainly try. But their own issues are so public and embarrassing, like I said, I don't think they'll get much traction.

Like trying to distract people from the spectacle of your burning house by pointing out your neighbor left his trash cans at the curb past pickup day...

Right now, I think I saw for the 2024 class, we're ranked 2nd, and they're in the 60's, and have had kids bailing on them already.

Michigan picks up a commitment from 2025 FL 3/4* QB Carter Smith. He's 6'3" 180 lbs. Seems he's actually ranked a little low since he has offers from FSU, Miami, UF, PSU and several others. Seems like this happened pretty quick and he is a true dual threat QB. He was rated as the #1 shortstop prospect at 14 and apparently already is throwing 95mph as a high school sophomore (wow) so arm strength is there but he's got an awkward throwing motion with a very fast but very low release (shortstop after all).

Word is Michigan is looking at taking 2 QBs in the 25 class due to having non in 23. They are still pursuing Underwood but my guess for him is LSU. All things considered, this is actually a pretty solid pickup especially this early. Low. Floor, high ceiling.

Harbaugh needs to figure something out soon or will affect recruiting.

Back