Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan vs. Maryland Score Prediction Thread (Official)

Michchamp

Saturday, November 20, 2021, 3:30 PM Eastern (2:30 PM Central)

Televised on the BTN (Guess I cann't watch)

Michigan plays @ Maryland

Maryland (5-5 / 2-5 in the Big Ten) got themselves one of them fancy Samoan QBs some teams like to do (he transferred from Alabama), name is Taulia Tagovailoa. We've seen other teams that do that, like Oregon or Alabama, have big seasons with lots of TD passes.

Only Maryland is still Maryland. They started the season 4-0 before getting blown out by Iowa, Ohio State, and beated soundly by Minnesota. They beat IU, but more recently both Penn St and MSU handled them without too much trouble.

They've played a tougher schedule than us by a bit, but not by much, and their best win was at Illinois. Sagarin has them ranked 81st, and would predict a two-score win for us here. That puts Maryland down around where IU, Northern Illinois, and Western Michigan are in his rankings, to note some other opponents of ours.

Still... it is a road game, and the second of two in a row for us, so there's a little more travel than usual. And of course, this game comes as our Battle with Ohio State looms large at the horizon, so we run the risk of being distracted or not taking them seriously enough.

Maryland has thrown for a lot of yards... Tagovailoa ranks 10th in passing yds/game in the NCAA stats, but only 45th in passing efficiency.

As a team, Maryland is very one dimensional; they don't run the ball (rank 112th at only 112 ypg) and are completely terrible defensively (91st), lousy both against the run (77th) and the pass (94th).

Hope we rack up 300 yards on the ground against them... keep Tagovailoa on the bench as much as possible, and keep them in a passing mentality. Hutchinson and Ojabo should chase him around the field all day, without a running threat to keep them off balance.

VEGAS has us a consensus 15 1/2 pt favorite, with an o/u of 56 1/2. Nobody expects too much trouble in this one.

So... go ahead and make your picks and post a bit of analysis if you wish, but leave the woofing and barking for the other threads!

I'm going to go with:

Michigan...23
Maryland...10

Our offense sputters a bit and blows a drive or two when Gattis inevitably calls 3 incomplete passes in a row in the red zone, after we move the ball 70 yards on the ground. and/or we put JJ in cold, and he fumbles in the red zone... either way, we keep our own pts off the board.

Maryland's defense is giving up 31 PPG. I think we can accomplish them hitting their average + a TD.

Michigan - 38
Maryland - 14

Strangely I think this game might be affected by what happens between OSU and MSU earlier in the day. IF OSU wins, I expect Michigan to come out fired up as they are back in the drivers seat in controlling their destiny. If MSU wins, that might make them come out a bit flat.

Either way Michigan will win. We will go Michigan 29 Maryland 17

Maryland is terrible. They have given up a lot of points lately. Over their past 6 games they gave up the following

UM 45
Mary 13

Is Corum playing? Probably doesn't matter either way as I think Gattis will call for completed passes in the redzone...

uofm 42
MD 17

Should be an easy win for Michigan. Build a big lead in the first half and then rest the starters for next week. Michigan 49, Maryland 10.

Michigan 31 - Maryland 16

I think Michigan plays it conservative on offense after getting up big early. Save what they can for next week.

M 30

Terp 15

We?re all pretty close to the same point spread, or most of us are for the most part. Maybe everybody has figured out that Michigan generally is right about on the pointspread, give or take a point or two.

UM should crush the Twerps, but they might struggle due to trap game mental mistakes. Maryland could win this one, or it could be a blowout. Despite my angst, I'm going over-the-top with:

UM 70 Twerps 10

Watching osu roll over msu now and it's scaring me how bad we'll lose next week. This game tho....

38-28 Michigan

Congrats this week to Rumseyhouse77 who's 39 pt predicted margin was closest to the actual score margin (41).

Also bonus congrats to bphillips4gg, who never doubted that Michigan controlled its own destiny in the conference, which was probablistically true at the time, and now technically correct as well, as osu emphatically proved with their extreme blowout win over the spartans.

I give all the credit to God, and my team. The quarterbacks played great today, Edwards had a monster game, and the receivers made some amazing catches. Shoutout to the Oline. Those guys make everything else on offense possible. The defense played great too. Kept the pressure on the Maryland QB all game. I jumped off outta my chair when Turner made that pick 6. And that pooch kick pass and return by Henning was outstanding anticipation. Really made them pay for that pooch kick. My Team made it all possible. It's great to be a Michigan Wolverine! GO BLUE! BEAT OHIO!!

Back