Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Milky Way/M-32p collision

Gulo Blue

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/articles/u-m-researchers-discover-milky-way-galaxys-long-lost-sibling

So, apparently our galaxy "collided" with another 2 billion years ago. Galaxies are mostly empty space, so I don't think much actually collides, but due to gravity, lots of stars and planets get swapped, presumably with the bigger galaxy absorbing more of the smaller galaxy than vice-versa.

What I thought was interesting was that this happened while there was life on Earth. The earliest multi-cellular organisms appeared when this would have happened. It's wild, but when you look at timelines for all life on Earth, at least 92% of it happened before there were dinosaurs and at least 97.8% of the history of life on Earth happened before the non-avian dinosaurs went extinct. We think humans are a flash in the pan relative to the history of dinosaurs, but dinosaurs were a flash in the pan relative to all life on Earth.

https://www.space.com/40863-evenly-matched-galaxies-ignite-blazing-quasars.html

The larger Andromeda galaxy is predicted to collide with our smaller Milky Way in ~4 billion Earth years

One major flaw of the Star Trek series and movies, was that they were allegedly from the 23rd century. Welll....that's nice, but if they were traveling at warp speeds thoughout our Milky Way galaxy to "go where no man has gone before" b/c of Einstein's Theory of Relativity, when the Enterprise returned to our solar system/Earth, it wasn't gonna be the 23rd century anymore, and might be as late as the 30th in several "light years"

The Meg: When Jurassic Park/World, Sharknado, Jaws, and Shark Week just ain't cutting it anymore.

Me, I'm kinda partial to ancient sea carnivores anyway like Megalodon and Shastasaurus, as there may have been some prehistoric mega-giants of whose cartilage/bones/teeth will never be found. Those of which have been are the stuff of your worst nightmares:

https://www.toptenz.net/top-10-terrifying-prehistoric-sea-monsters.php

I'm also expecting a Titanoboa battling a Gigantosaurus or Spinosaurus in a future Jurassic World sequel. When you've seen one Tyrannosaurus Rex too many, you make one up and call it Indomitosaurus Rex.

Last edited:
https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/articles/u-m-researchers-discover-milky-way-galaxys-long-lost-sibling

So, apparently our galaxy "collided" with another 2 billion years ago. Galaxies are mostly empty space, so I don't think much actually collides, but due to gravity, lots of stars and planets get swapped, presumably with the bigger galaxy absorbing more of the smaller galaxy than vice-versa.

What I thought was interesting was that this happened while there was life on Earth. The earliest multi-cellular organisms appeared when this would have happened. It's wild, but when you look at timelines for all life on Earth, at least 92% of it happened before there were dinosaurs and at least 97.8% of the history of life on Earth happened before the non-avian dinosaurs went extinct. We think humans are a flash in the pan relative to the history of dinosaurs, but dinosaurs were a flash in the pan relative to all life on Earth.

It?s almost kind of like the ?switched at birth? storyline in a soap opera drama.

There was already young life on the planet, but because of the collision, our planet ended up in a different galaxy then the galaxy of our origin.

Maybe that?s why life on earth is so fucked up.

Maybe we have a twin planet floating around somewhere out there in the cosmos in a different galaxy that we were separated from billions and billions of years ago, and we long and yearn to be reunited with it.

It?s almost kind of like the ?switched at birth? storyline in a soap opera drama.

There was already young life on the planet, but because of the collision, our planet ended up in a different galaxy then the galaxy of our origin.

Maybe that?s why life on earth is so fucked up.

Maybe we have a twin planet floating around somewhere out there in the cosmos in a different galaxy that we were separated from billions and billions of years ago, and we long and yearn to be reunited with it.

Maybe that other planet is better.. Like Bizarro Seinfeld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc_f-0DCGI0&pbjreload=10

I re-read my original post, and realized I skipped by one of the points I was thinking about. Life on Earth survived our galaxy and another galaxy "colliding". There was life before, so Earth's orbit must have been in the Goldilocks zone, and then obviously we're still here afterwards. Our galaxy is stripping solar systems from another galaxy and yet our own orbit relative to our sun is undisturbed. It makes sense after thinking about it, but seems counterintuitive at 1st (at least to me.) I wonder if we'll ever know if our solar system was originally with this galaxy or the other one.

Last edited:
Back