Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Next year could be rough

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
I was thinking about this earlier today.

DBs - Jourdan Lewis, Jeremy Clark, Channing Stribling, Dymonte Thomas, and Delano Hill all should be gone unless Clark gets that medical redshirt, which I think is very doubtful.

LBs - Peppers (draft eligible), Mccray, and Gedeon should all be gone unless Peppers pulls a Tyrone Wheatley and shocks the world to come back for another year.

DL - Hurst, Glasgow, Charlton, Wormley, Matt Godin all gone.

OL - 3 out of 5 starters will graduate.

RB - Drake Johnson, Deveon Smith both graduate. Hill gone. Poggi and Ty Isaac, I think, are eligible for one more year as a RS senior

WR - Chesson and Darboh both gone

TE - Butt gone.

K/P - Kenny Allen gone. Say what you want about him, but we'll have absolutely no experience at either of these positions unless one of the young guys overtake him this year. And Allen was very good last year for the most part. No reason to think he can't get back on track.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these, but I don't think I am.

By my count, we could lose 18 starters (and a few major contributors) plus Kenny Allen who occupies both kicker positions. We're going to be young. We're going to be inexperienced. We'll have a ton of talent, but Harbaugh and co. need to bring their A+++ game. I think this is the reason why the coaches have made an effort to play the freshmen so early and often this year.

Apologies for the doom and gloom, but after realizing all that we're losing this year, I also realized that this season is that much more important. Need to beat Sparty and the fuckeyes.

Yep

Been saying that about receivers
And in back of head the Dl and dbs too

Yeah we need a few really good classes and soon. That is alot of darn starters. Dang.

Just going to have to figure out a way to reload and get some young guys some snaps..

Yep

Been saying that about receivers
And in back of head the Dl and dbs too

I think we're good with the WRs. They've been getting time on the field and are extremely talented. Crawford, Mcdoom, Perry, and Ways should be a decent 4some for Speight or whoever else may win the QB battle. Nate Johnson was also highly thought of by coaches in the fall camp and there's chris evans who can move to WR if necessary. Plus, we have potential freshmen Nico Collins and Donovan peoples-jones, but I don't know how likely they are to land here. I've heard mixed reviews.

One thing is clear, this may be the youngest starting 22 we've had at Michigan in quite a while. I know we'll have some senior starters, but most will be Frosh or Soph with some juniors mixed in.

Just going to have to figure out a way to reload and get some young guys some snaps..

Well, we have Rutgers, Illinois, and Maryland left on the schedule. All three of those should allow us big enough leads to get some of the young kids some action. Rutgers would be a nice game to let them play since it's a road game. Let them see what it's like to play a B1G road game.

Hurst is a RS Junior. He will be back. We will have Mone, Hurst, Onwenu, and Gary. If no one gets hurt, we will still have a badass D-Line. I'm not worried about linebackers. We will have more speed with next years group. DB's will be a concern because of the youth, not the talent.

Hurst is a RS Junior. He will be back. We will have Mone, Hurst, Onwenu, and Gary. If no one gets hurt, we will still have a badass D-Line. I'm not worried about linebackers. We will have more speed with next years group. DB's will be a concern because of the youth, not the talent.

That's what I said. But, you're right about Hurst. I was just coming to correct it, but I think your view on what is coming back is a little optimistic. Yes, plenty of talent but almost no meaningful experience to take advantage of it. Depth is going to be a problem. The starters will be young and the backups younger. And we don't even know what side they'll stick Onwenu to.

That's what I said. But, you're right about Hurst. I was just coming to correct it, but I think your view on what is coming back is a little optimistic. Yes, plenty of talent but almost no meaningful experience to take advantage of it. Depth is going to be a problem. The starters will be young and the backups younger. And we don't even know what side they'll stick Onwenu to.

Wherever they need him the most. He's a load that cant be moved. I'm optimistic because I think the offense is going to have to be the one to keep us in it next year while the defense gets experience game to game. Our skill positions are going to be fine. The depth(as a team) is a little concerning, but that is why I expect a couple 5* will join the mix in Feb because of the chance to start right away. Especially O-lineman. This is why that Leatherwood kid is seriously considering Michigan.

In MGoBlog's physical publication they have a table of the total number of starts for everyone on the team at the start of the year. Based on their best guesses on how things will shake out, next year is looking like the least experienced team in 20 years.

My concerns go DB, WR, and DL depth. Replacing a ton at DB and WR. DL will have talented youngsters, but depth is a concern looking forward.

The three o-linemen that graduate have not been amazing by any means. They're much improved thanks to having real coaching now, but I really don't expect much of a drop off next year. The kids this staff has brought in have been highly regarded and they have been getting proper coaching since day one.

In MGoBlog's physical publication they have a table of the total number of starts for everyone on the team at the start of the year. Based on their best guesses on how things will shake out, next year is looking like the least experienced team in 20 years.

Okay, but younger guys are getting game experience in some way shape or form, and Brown just talked about making sure our frosh CBs start seeing more action.

We open next year in Texas against UF. Not that bad.

Schedule:
UF (Dallas)
Cincinnati
Air Force
@Purdue
Bye
MSU
@IU
@PennSt
Rutgers
Minnesota
@Maryland
@Wisconsin
OSU

It's rough... but not too rough. at least MSU and OSU are home.

that @ UW game looks to be rough. and of course OSU will be tough, but Barrett will be gone... not sure who their QB will be. I know they're young this year as well.

Programs like OSU and Alabama lose top talent all the time and remain consistently at the top. We'll see if Michigan can do the same. They may take a small step back like the 98 team did after 97, but they won't slide back into RichRod/Hoke mediocrity either.

Last edited:
Programs like OSU and Alabama lose top talent all the time and remain consistently at the top. We'll see if Michigan can do the same. They may take a small step back like the 98 team did after 97, but they won't slide back into RichRod/Hoke mediocrity either.

I've actually seen a theory that Bama is better in rebuilding years because there are more hungry players trying to prove themselves.

If we can keep most of the same coaches from this year to next, I think that will make up a lot for the graduating/drafting talent.

Has Drake Johnson got any PT this season? I've read somewhere that he might get held out all season and apply for another year. Don't know how his outlook is for getting that extra year, but Ed Davis got one at MSU.

I'm just going to enjoy this season, game by game, the rest of the way and worry about next year during the off season and when who has declared what for the NFL, etc.

On to Rutgers...

I'm just going to enjoy this season, game by game, the rest of the way and worry about next year during the off season and when who has declared what for the NFL, etc.

On to Rutgers...
LOL, what is this calm nonsense?
NO! The time to panic and abandon the Program is NOW!!!

We have to do SOMETHING before recruiting suffers.

Maybe we should consider firing Harbaugh next week and going after Tom Hermann before MSU lands him?

I'm not sure what to think or do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually seen a theory that Bama is better in rebuilding years because there are more hungry players trying to prove themselves.

If we can keep most of the same coaches from this year to next, I think that will make up a lot for the graduating/drafting talent.

I am becoming a subscriber to that theory based on what Bama has done over the years and what I see taking place in Columbus this year. This year's Buckeye squad is supposedly the least experienced in all of Power 5. Through four games, however, they are playing at a level that was expected of last year's team. They are a bunch of talented kids looking to make their mark. It helps, of course to have JT at the wheel.

Back