Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Official BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP Score Prediction thread

Michchamp

Who would've thought we'd be here right now before the season started? Or hell, even after we beat Wisconsin? Eh? NOBODY.... (except that one ESPN.com headline writer - and I can't find his article online anymore)

Saturday, December 4, 2021, #2 MICHIGAN plays #13 IOWA for the Big Ten Championship at 8 PM Eastern / 7 PM Central, on FOX.

Iowa started out an impressive (at the time) 6-0 and was ranked as high as #2 in the nation (including getting a first place vote) after beating Penn St., before being waxed in back-to-back weeks by Purdue and Wisconsin. Iowa recovered a bit after that, although their offense was still more or less anemic for the rest of the year.

In hindsight, their early season ranking was due to some of their opponents being overranked to start the season... 2-10 (0-9) Indiana was ranked #24, and 7-5 Iowa State was ranked #9, when Iowa played each of them.

Seems like if Iowa scored more than 17 pts, you could bet that special teams or turnovers were the reason. Iowa's best offensive output of the season came in the 2nd Q against Maryland where they scored 31 pts. Maryland's possessions during that Q were: FUMBLE, INT, 3 plays -2 yards PUNT, and another INT.

Other than being more or less stout on defense (ranked 13th by Total Defense - 315 ypg allowed), both against the run (14th in the country) and the pass (3rd in Team PED) Iowa really doesn't do anything well on the other side of the ball... by statistics:

- Rushing offense: 106th (121 ypg)
- Passing offense: 110th (177 ypg)
- Passing efficiency: 114th
- 3rd down conversions: 103rd (34.7%)
- Scoring: 87th (25 PPG)

They really do live off turnovers (3rd in the country) and their special teams are pretty solid; have blocked 3 punts/kicks this year.

"Wrestling a pig in the mud" seems like an apt description of what it's like to play Iowa ... although neither UW or Purdue had much trouble handling them. Neither team trailed Iowa at any point in either game.

Seems like we match up pretty favorably against them, and although they dodged the three best teams in the Big Ten East, they still played a decent schedule (Sagarin ranks their SOS more-or-less equal to ours). My biggest fear is that we get bogged down on offense for 3 quarters, or turn the ball over, particularly on special teams.

Vegas likes us by a consensus 11 pts, w/a 43 1/2 pt. o/u. The line has moved in our favor a bit since the open.

So go ahead and post your picks and a bit of analysis if you like, but as always, save the woofing and the barking for the other threads!

At last.

We?ve been waiting for this thread since when, the ESPN board days?

The days of the Leaders and Legends?

M 36
Iowa 13

Gotta change the offensive gameplan from last week. Cade's gotta make some throws in this one. He handles the situation just fine though and throws 2 TDS with no turnovers in a solid win.

Michigan: 24
Iowa: 10

Iowa hasn't allowed more than 28 points in like 31 games or something ridiculous like that. That's ending Saturday.

Michigan - 30
Iowa 13

All these big point differences posted make me want to take the price is right $1 bid, but instead I'm going bigger.

UM 63
Iowa 0

You want me to have a heart attack ? That means a last minute fg maybe ?

10-10 in the last minute, iowa with the ball on their own 10. Clutchinson and Ojabo chase Iowa QB out of the pocket, strips the ball, which the QB then jumps on in the endzone for a safety. Game over.

10-10 in the last minute, iowa with the ball on their own 10. Clutchinson and Ojabo chase Iowa QB out of the pocket, strips the ball, which the QB then jumps on in the endzone for a safety. Game over.

My heart will still explode in this Scenario lol..

Last edited:
49-14 Michigan.

Ding. Congrats, Rumseyhouse77, your 35 pt. Michigan win prediction was closest to the actual spread of 39 pts.

I think, regardless of the spread we predicted, this one more or less went as most of us expected... Iowa's offense was awful, and because of that, there was really not much they could do against us. Yay for things going as expected!

they were kinda the mirror opposite of Ohio St. this year.

This is my second win this season. My predictions are usually overly optomistic. GO BLUE! On to the NC!

Back