Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Official Michigan vs. Penn State Score Prediction Thread

Michchamp

Saturday, October 15, 2022 @ NOON Eastern, Penn State plays Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI, the place every decent person agrees is the best place to see a college football game anywhere in the world.

The game will be on Fox, as usual.

The line has solidified at UM -7, w/a o/u of 51.5.

Sagarin's predictor
nearly aligns with that, predicting a ~6 pt Michigan win.

This is probably the first game we could lose. And despite being halfway through the season, we really haven't been tested against an opponent with comparable talent. Penn State has, I suppose, though their strength of schedule as measured by Sagarin (70th) is not that much different than ours (111th).

Penn State did win @ Purdue, but it was the 1st game of the season, and Purdue has been inconsistent. They won big @ Auburn, but Auburn is a mess, although presumably has comparable, if not better talent than Penn St. Trying not to read too much into their relatively close games against Northwestern and Central Michigan, although both of those teams are much worse than Maryland, our close-ish game.

Series History
We are 15-10, all-time, against Penn St. Harbaugh is 4-3 against them.

The last time both teams met and were undefeated was 1997, a game I remember well, and I assume everyone else here does too.

hqdefault.jpg

Some Penn State fans are comparing this one to 1994, because THEY won that one, and it was also in Ann Arbor. But that Michigan team had already lost once to Colorado (in the "Miracle at Michigan"), and that Penn State team went on to finish 12-0, absolutely destroying most of their opponents along the way (they beat Ohio State 63-14), before being cheated out of at least a share of the national title, which went unanimously to Nebraska.

So... yeah, this game is not like 1994.

When it comes down to luck, we seem to get the breaks against Penn State, unlike we do against Michigan State or Ohio State, so... there's that. Not counting Ronnie Bell's drop in the end zone a couple seasons ago, of course.

About Penn State

horrified-look.png

EDIT: metaphors that include "showers" here are not okay. I need another one that means "I already got clean once today and am not going to get dirty now."

But I don't know if anyone else saw THIS horrific long-form article from ESPN, published last off-season, reporting on Todd Hodne, a serial rapist and eventual murderer who played about 2 seasons for the Nittany Lions in the late 70's. They seem to have had way more than their share of bad apples, for some reason *cough* JOE PA *cough* *cough*

Let's try to leave this on a more positive note... here are highlights from 2005:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pU604xk4Eo

Henne-to-Manningham was just so good... even in an otherwise lousy season like 2005. And note: Penn State was undefeated coming into that one.

8961d6934b8ffe8286ccf7931eadecbb-original.jpg

Lloyd was 9-2 vs. Penn State, after starting 0-2. NINE straight wins. (Edit: I shortchanged him one win; and we didn't play Penn St in '03 or '04 when they were terrible. He could have been 11-2)

So make your predictions and post some analysis if you so choose, but leave the woofing and the barking for the other threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brain says this is going to be a close battle; JJ is still missing deep throws, and Donovan Edwards isn't 100%. Not about to blow out any Big Ten opponents without a deep threat.

My gut says we won comfortable games @Iowa and @IU playing things close to the vest, and we open it up against Penn St. and hammer them...

UM....... 34
PennSt...14

Michigan 38, PSU 27. PSU gives up alot of passing yards. Protect JJ and give him time to throw the ball and Michigan wins this game.

Ah, yes ????????> PaState vs Run will be tough

After further analysis, the game location over the past twenty years of competition has seemed to play a role and especially when the games have been played in Ann Arbor and when Rich Rod wasn?t coaching.

PaState averages a full 10 points more in happy valley than in Ann Arbor while Michigan enjoys a more modest 5 point home game point bump. And while we are talking the past 20yrs or so, there is more of a momentum factor - especially when playing in A2 than a Home/Away pattern and was 2020 even football?

PaState ?????> 17
UofM ??????-> 37

Last edited:
I have no idea what to make of Penn State. They should have lost to Purdue in the opener, they whipped a really terrible Auburn team, they only outgained CMU by 40 yards and CMU is atrocious. NW game was played in a monsoon, so nothing to glean from that. Let's just go with...

Michigan - 31
PSU - 20

BTW...

Score Prediction Thread Leaderboard after Week 6:

1st - 2 wins - TomDalton
T-2nd - 1 win - rumseyhouse77, michchamp, twentythree, b311j, and bphillips4gg

Looks like Vic takes the prize this week! Nice work ;)
What is the board's rationale for picking a winner? He and I both picked 20 pt Michigan wins. We won by 24.

He definitely nailed the o/u. Maybe point spread is first, and o/u the tiebreaker?

Either way, congrats, Vic!

What is the board's rationale for picking a winner? He and I both picked 20 pt Michigan wins. We won by 24.

He definitely nailed the o/u. Maybe point spread is first, and o/u the tiebreaker?

Either way, congrats, Vic!

It?s your, thread, man.

I say you can declare your self co-winner if you want to.

It?s not like you?re stealing money or property or anything.

It?s your, thread, man.

I say you can declare your self co-winner if you want to.

It?s not like you?re stealing money or property or anything.

I'm only continuing MGeezer's tradition here. Not my thread. I'd give him the nod. We can't have too many ties anyways, then it will get ridiculous

I'm only continuing MGeezer's tradition here. Not my thread. I'd give him the nod. We can't have too many ties anyways, then it will get ridiculous

Okay.

You?re the current steward then.

It?s still your call.

Remember the game you were too lazy to make the score prediction thread?

You asked for help, and I stepped up.

I made the most catastrophic, calamitous clusterfuck of a score prediction thread, and at the end, I didn?t wanna fuck with the math, so I just declared anyone who made a prediction a winner.

I am pretty sure that Geezer used to declare some ties back in the day.

I say, do what you want.

It?s your thread, man.

Back