Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Police shooting in Grand Rapids

It's odd, even the Freep links to the Youtube video, uploaded by the City of Grand Rapids, rather than an official party hosting it themselves somewhere online. I guess making everyone create a youtube account to see a video of the state killing someone over a minor traffic violation limits the exposure...

The victim was definitely trying to flee. But he didn?t deserve to be shot point blank in the back of the head while face down on the ground.

This case against the officer is going to hinge on the taser and whether or not it was a danger to him after having been discharged. Still, even it if could still be used against him, the victim wasn?t threatening him with it, he was in the ground. You let go and if he gets up with the taser in his hand you use deadly force if necessary. It was a scuffle, but the victim wasn?t throwing punches and did nothing but try to escape and then grabbed the taser to not get tased again.

Last edited:
he may or may not have deserved to be shot...but he certainly wouldn't have been shot if he wouldn't have fought with the police officer

The victim was definitely trying to flee. But he didn?t deserve to be shot point blank in the back of the head while face down on the ground.

This case against the officer is going to hinge on the taser and whether or not it was a danger to him after having been discharged. Still, even it if could still be used against him, the victim wasn?t threatening him with it, he was in the ground. You let go and if he gets up with the taser in his hand you use deadly force if necessary. It was a scuffle, but the victim wasn?t throwing punches and did nothing but try to escape and then grabbed the taser to not get tased again.

no no, this is state sanctioned (most likely race based) murder over a minor traffic violation. You must be new to the politics board.

no no, this is state sanctioned (most likely race based) murder over a minor traffic violation. You must be new to the politics board.

so far, I see a video of a police officer with his knees on a man's back, and as that man struggles, the cop pulls out out his pistol and kills him by shooting him execution-style in the base of the head.

Before that, either he approached someone with car trouble, or - by his account - pulled the guy over for an expired tag, and the guy ran.

He COULD have just let him go, impounded the car, called for backup and arrested the driver later, after confirming his identity.

What video have you watched?

so far, I see a video of a police officer with his knees on a man's back, and as that man struggles, the cop pulls out out his pistol and kills him by shooting him execution-style in the base of the head.

Before that, either he approached someone with car trouble, or - by his account - pulled the guy over for an expired tag, and the guy ran.

He COULD have just let him go, impounded the car, called for backup and arrested the driver later, after confirming his identity.

I haven't watched any videos yet, nor have I given an opinion on this incident, just on your dumb take which is the same dumb take you have in every police involved shooting - that these are state sanctioned murders over minor issues like traffic violations. By your own telling of the incident, it could end up being murder but it's not state sanctioned, nor is a summary execution for a minor traffic incident.

Edit: now I've watched the video and read the article, it doesn't look good for the cop but you have a couple of details wrong (shocking). He was pulled over for an unmatched tag, not an expired tag. A possible indicator of a stolen car. The driver was uncooperative from the start and immediately resisted the officer - not something normal, law abiding people do. If the cop let him go, how will he be able to confirm his identity later if he is in fact driving a stolen car? What exactly is the cop supposed to do when the guy resists initially? Just let him go and hope he turns out to be the owner of the car so they can arrest him later? None of this is to excuse the cop of using excessive force if that's what he did, but policing the way you're proposing is dumb and only leads to more crime. If criminals know cops will let them go if they resist, what's to stop them? Nothing, you'll just get more crime and more injured officers. Again, for stupid people, I'm not saying cops should shoot anyone that resists arrest or that this shooting was justified.

Last edited:

I watched this one (not sure if it will come up on this site). The cop pulls him over because the plate on the car was registered to another car. When he pulls him over the guy gets out of the car, which is another thing that you are not supposed to do. Then, after he wasn't cooperative, he runs. Then they kind of fight for about 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5JY8KpMTvQ&t=12s

First, wait for backup as this is not a routine traffic stop, this one has potential criminal(s). Especially since there was more than just the driver in the car. This could have ended badly for the cop... call and wait for backup.
Second, maybe pistol whip first, in hopes he is subdued. Yes, that could still result in death, but it demonstrates the attempt to subdue first, kill second.

Back